Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right. My 2008 Redline has 95K on the clock. It runs just fine and looks good but I want to "restore" it. Why? Well...
Headlights are fogged up and scratched (I have a Maguiar's headlight kit). Roof is getting faded over the main / middle crossbar. The buttress layers are beginning to separate (I guess velcro doesn't last forever). The one buttress needs to be slammed home to latch and yanked to open. The butterfly flaps won't open via the cables. The driver side flap is wearing on the outside edge. The passenger window is s-l-o-w. There's some clunking noise in front and is very pronounced from behind the wheel. I do hope the ball joints aren't going bad. The paint is good but has some faint scratches and crazing. The wheel hubs have rust between the hub and disc platter. And worse of all, the cup holder from the side of the console won't open or close properly.
So, should I look for any body shop, a former Saturn Sky / Pontiac Solstice shop, or see if someone like The Guild of Automotive Restorers will handle the job. I'm in SW Ohio by the way.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
That's just regular maintenance you omitted until it piled up, no one shop will fix everything. And I'm sure you can fix most of those things yourself with some searching.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
My 2007 Sky base with 120k had a similar pile of issues. I bought the car for $4700. Getting it to THIS POINT cost me $5600 more ($800 of that was labor) and countless hours of my own in securing parts and doing 98% of the labor.

So be careful. You might not realize what it will take to make it real nice again.

·
Registered
2008 RL
96 Posts
The wheel hubs have rust between the hub and disc platter. And worse of all, the cup holder from the side of the console won't open or close properly...
So, should I look for... someone like The Guild of Automotive Restorers will handle the job. I'm in SW Ohio by the way.
Yes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's just regular maintenance you omitted until it piled up, no one shop will fix everything. And I'm sure you can fix most of those things yourself with some searching.
I bought the car two years ago. I've been taking it in regularly for service. It's stored during the winter. under cover.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Cosmetic issues- to your mechanical issues found at 95k mark?
IF it was me- I would address the " clunking sound " in the front end as the first issue
to resolve here. Feed back through the steering wheel feel- could be several things.
Up on a lift- with a visual inspection of the suspension or steering with maybe a trained
professional advice would be a good thing. At 95K parts do wear out. Find the source
and repair that before any more damage occurs which could be really expensive for you.

Buttress panel operation- or lack thereof issue. Some of what you describe here
sounds like an alignment issue. Could be trunk lid itself is out of alignment.
The release mechanics of the buttress panel from the trunk lid could be stuck
in need of lubrications beneath the chrome opening maybe? The panel flap itself
has some adjustment that can be made. The cable operation to the tulip flap doors
could be bound up, frayed or broken altogether. It releases electronically & somewhat
mechanically but... has issues after the fact. Again this might be alignment of the trunk
deck lid, but not limited to this only. The driver side flap door is rubbing on the outside- could be
several parts- spring broken, washer, clips- what is different between the 2 flaps if any?
Velco can be replaced just say'n. Wearing or fading top canvas after 95K even though
it is stored under cover. Age is one thing but it could be that your top when stowed
in the trunk is rubbing against liner when stowed. Check that the liner is secure and
tight against lid, the top is fully seated down, not moving when when entering a
twisty section of asphalt. A separation layer over the canvas top between the
trunk lid liner might help here with the wear & tear to the middle bow of our top.
Try a simple soft bath towel over your top, before you close the deck lid.

Passenger side window is slow. Visual inspection of the operation in action might
give you a clue to what is making it slow in it's operation. With the inside door
panel removed you will know if any issues are evident from the ole eye test
evaluation process. Tracks could need lubrication, it might be bent or crimped?
The connections to the motor itself could have corrosion build up?
The whole assembly might be rubbing or be bound up by unknown sources?
Do a timed run of how long it does take before any repairs made, then do another
timed run of the operation afterwards to see if there is any improvement speed wise?
You won't gain that much a few tenths maybe but it should be smoother in it's operation.
The driver side does have the express feature when compared to the passenger side.

Paint and headlights issues- a professional could fix these issues for you but- at what cost?
Replacing your headlights is expensive as new ones run about $400 give or take.
Out sourced ones from a salvage yard- would be less money but they would have to be
in great shape before you buy. They might look good on a website photo, but when they do
arrive at your front door- not so much. You might have to do an on site inspection to retrieve
the quality ones for your car from a salvage yard. What could you do to your paint or headlights
in a weekend or weeks worth of time involved might impress you without a professional restoration
to either of these items.

Remove tire/rim- sand hub- repaint- reinstall tire/rim. Many owners have done this.
Ahhh the infamous side cup holder on the console operation issue. It can be removed
taken apart, repaired, cleaned & lubricated and reinstalled without to much time & effort.
There are many threads- some You-Tube videos on these restoration by owners- and some
professionals that might help you decided before you spend vast sums of your money at a
place like the Guild or Fantomworks places of business as an option.

Sometimes a little hard work, some devotion and passion with some elbow grease involved
as an owner/operator can bring forth the desired results with which you seek to restore your
gem back to a condition more acceptable to your liking at 95K- just say'n.

LAC

·
Registered
504 Posts
I might be in the minority, but I have been pleasantly surprised with how well my 2008 Sky has been holding up.
Back in 1977 I bought my first New car a Gold 1977 Honda Accord Hatchback with a manual 5 speed. It had a plethora of problems, an appetite for head gaskets, synchros in the transmission and the infamous Rust Monster that invaded the front fenders within 3 years. Traded it in for a new 1980 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham with a V8 and kept it for 7 years.
So, for a car that is going on 14 years old, I believe GM and Saturn did a pretty good job. Just my HMO……..

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Right. My 2008 Redline has 95K on the clock. It runs just fine and looks good but I want to "restore" it. Why? Well...
Headlights are fogged up and scratched (I have a Maguiar's headlight kit). Roof is getting faded over the main / middle crossbar. The buttress layers are beginning to separate (I guess velcro doesn't last forever). The one buttress needs to be slammed home to latch and yanked to open. The butterfly flaps won't open via the cables. The driver side flap is wearing on the outside edge. The passenger window is s-l-o-w. There's some clunking noise in front and is very pronounced from behind the wheel. I do hope the ball joints aren't going bad. The paint is good but has some faint scratches and crazing. The wheel hubs have rust between the hub and disc platter. And worse of all, the cup holder from the side of the console won't open or close properly.
So, should I look for any body shop, a former Saturn Sky / Pontiac Solstice shop, or see if someone like The Guild of Automotive Restorers will handle the job. I'm in SW Ohio by the way.
Those are all very common wear items for the Sky. Tackle each issue at a time. Make each one a weekend project or something.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts