Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had my Sky over a week and need to stop driving it on a temporary plate. That means I have to pay $2,100 in sales tax at registration time.

I'm thinking I would rather a Redline. I know I could wait until they come out and trade, but then I would be out the sales tax. It's true that when a car is traded I only have to pay tax on the difference, but I had another idea.

I wonder if I should take advantage of Saturn's return policy and return the car for a credit, which I can then use for a Redline? I have a car to use, so I would not be stuck.

There are two things I am wondering. First, will the credit provided by Saturn be useable at another dealer, or is it only good from the dealer who issued it?

The other thing is a RI issue. I'm wondering if I trade a car at an out of state dealer if I still only have to pay the sales tax on the amount I pay above the trade. I would think so, since the tax is still paid to RI at registration time.

Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No ideas???

·
Registered
295 Posts
I had to sign a paper at my dealership saying that the sky couldnt be returned....940 miles in a week...wow

·
Registered
19 Posts
jarcher said:

I'm thinking I would rather a Redline. I know I could wait until they come out and trade, but then I would be out the sales tax. It's true that when a car is traded I only have to pay tax on the difference, but I had another idea.

The other thing is a RI issue. I'm wondering if I trade a car at an out of state dealer if I still only have to pay the sales tax on the amount I pay above the trade. I would think so, since the tax is still paid to RI at registration time.

Any ideas? Thanks!
You have the check with the Dept. of Revenue in your State to see what the sales tax laws are there. This is the only way of knowing for sure. Each state is different.

In our state, you don't pay sales tax on the trade value but they say in CA you do. Also, in our state if you buy a car from another state but your state has a higher percent sales tax rate you pay the difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts