Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone is having problems puting their stick into reverse. I have to let off the clutch and sometimes shift into 1st before it will let me go into reverse. This is getting a little annoying.

Also it is finally snowing here can't wait to see how the winter goes

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I was wondering if anyone is having problems puting their stick into reverse. I have to let off the clutch and sometimes shift into 1st before it will let me go into reverse. This is getting a little annoying.

Also it is finally snowing here can't wait to see how the winter goes
with my experience, that is common in manual trannys. Don't get me wrong, it shouldn't be the case everytime but once in awhile it doesn't sync properly so let the clutch out, push it back in.

I've never owned a manual car or truck that I didn't have to do this from time to time. someone else might be able to get the technical reason behind it but I believe its to do with reverse not having syncros.

now having to shift into 1st gear first..... thats wierd... never had to do that
could be a problem

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I have had that same problem -- but very rarely. Either that or I just don't notice it. I do recal simular problems with my last manual trans...

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its not every time but it seems to be getting more and more common

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
It's covered in the owners manual. It says to shift to neutral and release the clutch pedal. Then press the clutch again and shift into reverse. Also, do not shift into the fifth gear position prior to shifting into reverse. Your transmission has a lock out feature which prevents a fifth gear to reverse gear shift.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea I noticed the lockout from 5th to reverse. I will pay closer attention to it and see if there is a pattern of this happening

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yep same problem here! I have notice it more and more lately. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
this has happened to both of my manual cars that i've driven over the years. It didn't happen often, but every now and then. It is a little minor inconvenience, but it happens so rarely that it didn't matter. I do believe it's just a chance mismatching of the gears or synchros.

Both cars were (and is) 5spds.

I wouldn't really worry about it.

I sorta noticed that it seemed to happen more often if i didn't push the stick all the way over to the right firmly before going down to reverse. It might have been stuck between the 4th and reverse gears?:confused: Any car guys with more knowledge than me care to correct me? Not entirely sure, but it seemed not to happen when i shifted "with confidence"

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
I am not sure since my experience is not related to the redline that isn't here yet, but....

I seem to recall this happening when I first learned to drive a stick, I always go to first and then to reverse as force of habit, and I can't recall it happening anytime in the last 20 years or so. I was taught to always hit first gear before going into reverse to sync everything up, does it happen if you hit first gear and then go to reverse?

·
Registered
994 Posts
It's covered in the owners manual. It says to shift to neutral and release the clutch pedal. Then press the clutch again and shift into reverse. Also, do not shift into the fifth gear position prior to shifting into reverse. Your transmission has a lock out feature which prevents a fifth gear to reverse gear shift.
This is exactly what I do when I have that problem. No big deal really.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am not sure since my experience is not related to the redline that isn't here yet, but....

I seem to recall this happening when I first learned to drive a stick, I always go to first and then to reverse as force of habit, and I can't recall it happening anytime in the last 20 years or so. I was taught to always hit first gear before going into reverse to sync everything up, does it happen if you hit first gear and then go to reverse?
As long as I do this It will always go into reverse, kinda like the saying "it hurts when I do this so don't do it"

I am getting better at shifting this car and I notice it less and left

·
Registered
187 Posts

I learned to hit first on my way to reverse when I learned to drive. I've never had a car that you had to do this even the majority of the time but even the rare lockout annoys me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts