Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions about the rims on Sky's.
Last weekend I took my Sol's left rear wheel in to be fixed due to a screw in the tire. Prior to taking it in I pulled the stuck on weights off so the people at NTB wouldn't scratch the rim trying to take them off.
I pulled the weights and then pulled on the adhesive. It came off clean but pulled the paint off with it. A nice shiny piece of chrome was beaming back at me from under the paint!

Here is where I don't know if my problem may be your problem some time soon. My rims are chrome but the interior machined surface had been painted a flat silver. Don't know why GM did this. Maybe it was too much chrome as it was.

With the tire pulled off the rim, it was noticed that the whole rim was chrome just like any aftermarket rim out there today.
So the whole rim was chromed by GM/Speedline and then masked off to paint the interior and the back of the spokes. Why?!

While I don't know why or care to know, I do want to know one thing:

How can I remove the rest of the paint on all 4 rims without burning or clouding the chrome finish underneath? Is there a chemical that can be used so that no harm will come to the chrome?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
All fixed!
Do the Sky toys have chrome on the outside spokes but have a flat painted surface on the interior? If so, you can take it off to look like this.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
So your painted rims were actually chrome? :confused:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Painted rims are not chrome, but the chrome rims have the backside painted. There is no way to only partially chrome a rim. When they dip it in the various plating tanks, they dip the entire wheel. I think the rims would look a lot nicer if 100% of the chrome showed...and the backs were not painted. Only thing that the paint is good for is preventing the chrome from pitting. It would be difficult to keep the inner side of the rim waxed were it chrome.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Oh...now I get it. Thanks for the clarification/explanation.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Way2Fast said:
Painted rims are not chrome, but the chrome rims have the backside painted. There is no way to only partially chrome a rim. When they dip it in the various plating tanks, they dip the entire wheel. I think the rims would look a lot nicer if 100% of the chrome showed...and the backs were not painted. Only thing that the paint is good for is preventing the chrome from pitting. It would be difficult to keep the inner side of the rim waxed were it chrome.

But then there are a few of us nut cases that pull the rims to wash them so the interior would never really get into a position to pit. I call it therapy. My wife calls it getting out of house work.
Pull the rims, clean the inside, treat the inside, wash the calipers, clean the wheel well. Doesn't everybody?

·
Registered
669 Posts
tweety said:
But then there are a few of us nut cases that pull the rims to wash them so the interior would never really get into a position to pit. I call it therapy. My wife calls it getting out of house work.
Pull the rims, clean the inside, treat the inside, wash the calipers, clean the wheel well. Doesn't everybody?
You are a nut case! :D BTW, what's your latest mod? Can you give us a link to the mod you did on your head light cover? The "eye-shadow" looked nice!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Headlamp 'eye shadow'. I was actually the second person to do this.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15856&highlight=headlamps

My proposed window switch mod. This is the mock up to get opinions. Most likely I will be going with the GTO unit. The parts will all be in this weekend-finally.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16368

The turbo hasn't arrived yet. Bumming me out.
The new exhaust and tail fascia is being worked on as we speak. I whined and pushed the issue long enough that someone decided to do it if only to shut me up.

That link is here:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15391

1 - 8 of 8 Posts