Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
***UPDATE***
Now I am calculating the actual markup to be over $5,000. Probably between $5,000 and $6,000, but until I know what the markup is for things like rubber mats and Platinum Seal (what is this, anyway?) I can't know for sure. This is around $2,000 less than I estimated earlier, since the factory options are not marked up (Saturn doesn't seem to allow that). Still, a markup of $5,000-$6,000 without any sort of warning, and considering that if the dealer sold at MSRP they still would make good money is just unbelievable. Add to that the forced trade-in because "it is the only way for us to make a profit since MSRPs are fixed"....

ALSO: I am not factoring in the fact that it seems we got charged for two sets of wheels and we only got one. A similar situation appears to happen with the air intake (we didn't receive the custom one, but Maverick on his post of this topic has mentioned we should probably have that as well.) As for the Platinum Seal, I am looking into the papers right now and while I am not sure, it seems that it might be a paint treatment. The funny thing is that the guarantee for this paint treatment has marked on it that it is for a 2006 model (ours is a 2007 model), and has the wrong VIN posted on it.
***END UPDATE***

Any of you that were kind and patient enough to go through my previous post already got the story. I am putting this up here, along with a scan with the Price List so that you get an idea of the markup.

Story: My wife had been in contact with Saturn of Roseville. A couple of weeks back her salesperson (which as of today isn't working for them anymore, what a coincidence) calls her, saying that they were receiving a Sky. The sky instead shows a week later, last Friday.

My wife shows up there, and the sticker price is around $27,000. When she wants to close the deal, however, the salesperson tells her that she must trade-in her 2002 L300 in order to get the Sky. When she inquires as to the reason for this, they tell her that they need to do that in order to get some profit at all, because the policy of Saturn on markups over MSRP is very restrictive, so they get their profit margin through other means.

A little bummed off, my wife comes back home. I talk to her on the phone, and convince her to go back the following morning and accept the terms, as long as the trade-in offer is fair. She shows up the next morning, and they offer her $11,000 on the L300 (a very fair value on its own). However, when she sits down to sign the papers, the sticker price is now over $37,000. It turns out they have added a lot of features to the car, and that's where the price difference would appear to come from. She goes ahead, signs everything, and comes back home with a beautiful new Sky.

The problem starts when I begin comparing the charge prices for these options (see attached scan at the bottom of the message) with the MSRP. The markups are so unbelievable that at first I think there must be some mistake. Average markup is around 200% plus.

I call the manager at Saturn of Roseville today at 1:15 PM. I tell him to explain the discrepancy between MSRP and charged prices. He's kind of brisk (sounds like he's on the defensive), and tells me that my wife saw the asking price before signing (which is true, only that MSRP wasn't specified anywhere, and under Added Mark-up -see below- it says 0). I ask him: "So, if you wanted to charge $20,000 over MSRP, that would be fine with you?" He says that would be OK. Then he goes on to explain that these cars are "specialty cars", so he is justified in marking things up as much as he wants. Then, he goes on to say that there were 157 more people (not 156 or 158) which were waiting for that vehicle also. Which sounds a little strange, given that the car was in their showroom all day Friday without anyone buying it.

My wife gets a call at around 3:30 PM today. It's a customer relations lady at Saturn of Roseville. My wife basically tells her that she likes the car, but that she is disappointed at the transaction and the way Saturn of Roseville dealt with her. She explains that in no way or form anybody at Saturn of Roseville ever explained that they were marking the car up around $10,000 through their options pricing. (UPDATE: After making some calculations, it appears that the actual markup was around $5,000. Please look at the markup list that I am attaching below)

Also, notice that the car doesn't even include the Performance Suspension Kit, or the Car Cover. Notice how the Performance Air Intake is marked up $1495 up from the MSRP of $495, for example. The rest of the markups are just as brutal.

Documents: I am attaching here a scan of the price list on our car, so that you can see the extent of the markup. Pay especial attention to the item that specifies: ADDED MARK-UP: 0. If this isn't misleading, I wonder what is.
At this point I am pissed off and weighing my options. I can accept the fact that we should have researched all this better, but this doesn't excuse the way in which these "good folks" at Roseville are dealing with us.

By the way: Thank you for all the good advice and support from the people at this forum. Both my wife and I sincerely appreciate everything.

Markup List:
Mudguards: $438
Air Intake: $1000
Windscreen: $678
Cockpit Cover: $659
Locking Gas Cap: $23
Rubber Floormats: $195* -Estimate $125 markup
Platinum Seal: $995* -Estimate $600 markup
Invisible Bra: $995* -Estimate $600 markup
Custom Wheels: $972

(* These are actual prices charged, not markups)

Attachments

·
Registered
669 Posts
So they charged you $795 for chrome wheels
THEN charged you $2995 for custom wheels???

Did you get both sets of wheels???

·
Registered
295 Posts
qwack said:

That caught my eye too. If they did not give you the chrome wheels that originally came with your car, then this might be illegal (if it doesnt say that you are also trading in your chrome wheel *on top of* that $3000 set of wheels)

·
Registered
314 Posts
qwack said:

I saw the first Sky in at this dealership. That Sky, too, had $795 for chrome and then upcharge of another $2995. So it appears this could well be Roseville's standard practice.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
After seeing the existence of huge markups for things you didn't even get for your car... This really could be "fraud" and may entitle you to relief from what has happened.

·
Registered
669 Posts
SkyHope said:
I saw the first Sky in at this dealership. That Sky, too, had $795 for chrome and then upcharge of another $2995. So it appears this could well be Roseville's standard practice.
Then that makes the custom set of wheels actually $3790??
hmmmm....

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Compare to the prices at Saturn.com: http://www.saturn.com/saturn/vehicles/sky/accessories.jsp

Absolutely ridiculous. Even the gas cap is marked up? The fact you said some things weren't actually with the car and that you were charged for BOTH sets of premium wheels is what REALLY bothers me (that crosses the line from greed to theft). And what is "Platinum Seal"? I’m surprised they didn’t add "Volcano Protection".

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
qwack said:

I think one thing you can do is get them to either give you the factory chrome wheels or get a refund. Your stick clearly shows that you paid for those wheels. Go on Saturday o Sunday afternoon when they are crowded and do not be afraid to pump-up the volume when speaking.

F- them!

·
Registered
246 Posts
You've been had. Take it back. Check in your state, but here in Ohio you have 3 days I believe. You can buy a Sky in Ohio any day of the week with a $2000 markup. Why would you fall for any of this crap? I'm not trying to be difficult with you, just that it's just a car! Why would you part with so much of your hard earned money just to get the car today? These things will be freeing up as the year goes by, heck, they're talking about ramping up production, find a dealer, any dealer, that doesn't do the markup thing and get in line. There are plenty out there. Lots of dealers are getting their own stock and also, cars that are being turned down by customers are also available. My dealer has had 2 out of 7 go back on the market because the customer did not want. Sheeeshh! I'll hold on to my money!

·
Registered
380 Posts
ABSOLUTELY UNBELIEVEABLE.​
TAKE THAT CAR BACK AND DEMAND YOUR MONEY AND TRADE IN BACK!

·
Registered
170 Posts
You said that the customer relations lady called you today at 3:30, what did she say when you told her what happened?

Other than being completely outrageous, if they charged you for both sets of wheels and you only got one, they stole from you. Go in an demand the money back...or demand to return the car, you can find another one for MSRP at a reputable dealer. I'd also post this dealerships name everywhere I could as someplace not to do business with, and try calling Saturn Corporate too and work your way up the ladder there. Lastly, the press, call and ask if they can help, call your local news station too, it can't hurt.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Take it back....

skyfan said:
ABSOLUTELY UNBELIEVEABLE.​
TAKE THAT CAR BACK AND DEMAND YOUR MONEY AND TRADE IN BACK!
Even the mud flaps are out and out theft. $130.00 + approx. $30.00 to install would be the MAX !! Good Luck and let us all know how you make out.....

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Saturn has a 30 day mioney back guarentee you can return the car for a full refund if you are not completely satisfied, Take it back... go to another dealer...

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
This whole thing of charging more than MSRP is going to leave a bad taste in peoples mouth and give Saturn a bad name! Say what you want about supply and demand and free market, but, Saturn has taken years to develop a reputation. Now if you don't like the price one dealer is offering go to the one down the street and he may have it at a different price. They still want to be a no haggle company but you can go to different stores and get different prices. That isn't good. I was at two different dealerships and there was $1,000.00 difference in the price. I don't know if there were any hidden fees though.

Sorry your wife seems to have gotten ripped off! Some dealers have said they are upping the price because people are willing to pay the extra money to purchase this car without waiting. If my dealer suddenly told me that, contrary to our agreement, I was going to have to pay an up charge for my Sky I'd tell him to stick it up his a** and I'd sick my wife on him (she works for a big law firm).

As it stands I believe you were given a link to contact Saturn Customer service in another post. I think you should give the dealership and Saturn the chance to deal with this. Doesn't Saturn have a money back offer if you are not satisfied?

If you are not happy with the deal and Saturn is willing to take the car back go for it. Then, if you still want a Sky, get into line with a dealer that is willing to give you a fair deal. My dealership in Toronto has done it's best to help me along the way. I've been in line since last summer and I have to say that if someone told me that for $3,000.00 extra I could jump ahead in line I'd say no thanks. Even with how frustrated I've become.

Good luck to you.

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
CalGuy, go to this url, then click on pdf broucher for the SKY and go to page 6. It tells you about the exchange program the Saturn has. Good Luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wow man, it is so unfortunate what you and your wife have had to go through over this car. I figured there would be markups, it's a brand-new car with a long wait, but that is just WRONG. JMO, but I would take the car BACK (it's not like you couldn't get another one) and tell them you want your money back. Why should you reward them with keeping a purchase that was so royally marked-up?

It really makes me wary of what I might go through on my purchase, but hopefully everyone who hasn't had any dealer experience yet will be more careful and aware and not go through the same thing.

·
Registered
540 Posts
You know what really gets me is that Saturn is suppossed to be the kind of dealership that ANY woman - whether she is savvy at car negotiations or not - should be able to buy a car. You should take it back and they will either renegotiate or you can order another car and pay MSRP!!!!! Tell your wife that half of the fun is ordering, tracking, being on this forum. Sheesh - those folks should be shot for what they did to her.......

·
Registered
130 Posts
This is the kind of thing the local news will eat up. If the dealership isn't willing to work with you, give the news a call. Good luck...

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

SkyMan 07 said:
Saturn has a 30 day mioney back guarentee you can return the car for a full refund if you are not completely satisfied, Take it back... go to another dealer...
You would be crazy not to.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts