Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a 1994 SL2 with an automatic transmission that has a normal and performance mode. The car came this way from the factory. I'm sure most know the difference (performance shifts gears much more than normal).

From what I remember, the base Sky does not have this feature. Does anyone know if the RL will have something similar as my ol' SL2?

I'm currently debating between a manual and automatic transmission, and this may swing my decision one way or another.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,570 Posts
etw98 said:
I drive a 1994 SL2 with an automatic transmission that has a normal and performance mode. The car came this way from the factory. I'm sure most know the difference (performance shifts gears much more than normal).

From what I remember, the base Sky does not have this feature. Does anyone know if the RL will have something similar as my ol' SL2?

I'm currently debating between a manual and automatic transmission, and this may swing my decision one way or another.

It will not have it... the RL will be all performance, all the time... :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
etw98 said:

Haha, oh i loved that switch.

I glued mine down in the "PERF" mode! In my automatic SC2 the switch allowed you to run the RPMs higher without forcing an automatic "cut-off shift" to a higher gear and triggered down shifting more generously.

Such a switch probably wouldnt serve as much purpose in the automatic version of the RL since it will probably be programed to allow for harder driving anyway -- the switch was and only functional on an automatic transmission (as you could choose when to shift with a manual). Also, the switch helped to conserve gas in our older saturns.

·
Registered
422 Posts
todaresqSL2 said:
It will not have it... the RL will be all performance, all the time... :thumbs:
The performance switch isn't located in the car - it is installed in the drivers right foot :lol:
(Option for RedLines only).
There are three positions of the switch:

Low > only gently touching gas pedal > best fuel consumption ~ 30mpg
Mid > normal touching gas pedal > your are realy fast in normal traffic
High > full throttle > on the racing course otherwise there is a high risk for your driver licence :nono:

And if you often use full throttle, it should be the best your uncle is an owner of a gas station. :D

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I test drove the base Sky w/o CAI and auto. trans. and thought that my SL2 in performance mode had more get-up-and-go than the Sky. If the gear shifting will be handled the same on the RL as the base, I may as well push my Sky (or at least get the manual transmission).

·
Super Moderator
11,567 Posts
I'm sure Vector can tune your PCMs to fix any shifting "short comings" the RL has. Bump up the shift points here, up line pressures there, include skip shift downshifts (if the PCM has it...) so that the trans drops from 5-3 and 4-2 rather than 5-4-3 and 4-3-2...throw in a shift kit...It will move at that point.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts