Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called my dealership today because other people waiting for the RL were able to have their orders placed into the system. He told me that those dealerships were wasting their base Sky allocations since RL will be treated as an option and not have separate allocation. He did confirm that the RL build will begin in July.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I think that point was also made in the othe thread about RL ordering.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,569 Posts
I don't see that as being true... why would Jill say, "The good news is that the turbo Sky is not sold out and we're still taking orders on it," while also confirming that the Sky is sold out for calendar year '06 but dismissed reports that the Sky was also sold out for next year.

Soooo... the RedLine is not being treated as an option this year... next year maybe. Or maybe they are adding allotmants/images to this years numbers just for RedLines.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
If they are not actually producing the RL yet and the order space is taken up by an RL order, it certainly makes sense that this will impact the regular Skys that a dealer can order/allocate. I think that was the point of the response. Basically, ordering the RL now is premature and takes up a ordering space for nothing. :confused:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,569 Posts
SKYtime said:
If they are not actually producing the RL yet and the order space is taken up by an RL order, it certainly makes sense that this will impact the regular Skys that a dealer can order/allocate. I think that was the point of the response. Basically, ordering the RL now is premature and takes up a ordering space for nothing. :confused:
I think the RedLine orders are seperate... based on Jill's comments.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
According to the SM, the RL orders are not treated separately from the base orders. I was told that the Indy-area dealerships are allowed to order 36 Skys (base & RL) in the first 6 months. If the RL comes out during that time and if allotments are still open, then they will be able to place RL orders. Otherwise, they'll have to wait until the 6 month period is over.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
More proof that Saturn is missing an excellent marketing opportunity specifically by failing to provide clear-cut, no hassle information to its die hard fans, who were loyal to the brand BEFORE the sky, and to the extent that it hopes to lure roadster fans from other sports car brands, they have to realize the bar is high and folks who can afford to be impractical...are the kind of folks who have problems with vague and often inaccurate information. If I were queen of the universe, everyone would be on the same page, and would have as much accurate, clear info as possible.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I'm with you, Skywulf. I wonder whether some of the misinformation is coming from the public or dealers/salesman, etc. as opposed to the manufacturer. Salesman like to say "something" whether it's true or not sometimes.....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well this is what I know.

I got put at #1 for a Redline at the dealer I'm buying from on Tuesday or Wednesday. My salesperson called me this afternoon to verify a few things, because they were told they could start inputting the Redline orders into the system, and they wanted to get it in ASAP. I doubt it will speed things up any by getting the order in now (other than letting Saturn know how big the demand is,) but I'm going to let them do their thing and sit back and wait. And I don't know where they got their information about inputting the order into the system, because I did not mention it to them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
todaresqSL2 said:
Soooo... the RedLine is not being treated as an option this year... next year maybe. Or maybe they are adding allotmants/images to this years numbers just for RedLines.
As it is great to see all of this demand and pure desire I feel I need to add a few things to this thread:

First of all, Saturn has zero information about next years plans for allocation, allotment, or trim packages so before this becomes the newest rumor....let's kill that noise right now. I'm just trying to avoid more confusion, there is enough already.

Secondly, MOST and I say most, not ALL, of the "mis-information" that is being discussed was brought forward by people making educated guesses and not hearing it from the proverbial horses mouth. Unless you have Saturn/GM documentation telling you otherwise, you can't become upset or bothered by something you might have heard from somebody, who has a cousin, who's hair dresser dated a guy, etc.... that told you about the Sky.

Finally. The statement made by Jill says that they are available because they are available. No reading between the lines, they can and will produce those that are ordered this year. THEY WILL be taken from allocation already existing on the Sky because this is not a seperate vehicle, only an option.

If they decide to add more allotment because they have decided to build more, I'm sure we will find out when they release that information to the press. Until then, you won't see too many R/L Sky's this year because that is taking away from existing allotment.

I only post this to help clear up. I do not mean this in any kind of negative or derogatory fashion and I hope that it is not taken that way. If it is, I do apologize. I hope this answers some questions or helps to make sense of things. :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
MidwestSky said:
As it is great to see all of this demand and pure desire I feel I need to add a few things to this thread:
Finally. The statement made by Jill says that they are available because they are available. No reading between the lines, they can and will produce those that are ordered this year. THEY WILL be taken from allocation already existing on the Sky because this is not a seperate vehicle, only an option.
:agree:

The bottleneck in production is not to make RL's or GXP's, it's the bodywork of the Kappas, may it be the hydroforming, the painting or something other.
GM (not Saturn or Pontiac) has to decide the quotes of Solstice, Sky, GXP, RL and from what time beginning Opel GT. :confused:

Whatever that total 100% maybe - my estimate is between 36,000 and 40,000 units for 2006 calendar year - the share of the single model is more a commercial than a technical decision.

The differences between Sky and RL are limited: the engine, the exhaust, the suspension, the ESC and the tires, see info on media.gm.com.

Comparision Sky-SkyRL-spec

Or as a pdf View attachment 2007 Sky-RL_spec.pdf

Besides of the engine that are all deliverer components. It's not a problem of production it could be a problem of planning, see for example the unexpected high demand in chrom wheels.
In sharing the quotes for the models there is no unexpected behaviour of the customer possible because it's a GM decision and will run like planned.

Someone here who knows the planning ?? :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts