Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, don't tell me to turn my radio up. I am an old fart who never liked loud music. @73 my hearing is still good, and noises bother me.

I think my new tires (continental d/w) with LOTS of rubber and little tread are noisier than the original. Anyhow that and my Sky noise birth defects get on my nerves.

My question, has anyone put any of the noise reduction goo under their car? Does it work? Does it remain sticky/messy?

Still lovin my 07 Redline
bobarry

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Well I hate road noise also. Interesting that you feel that the conti DW was noisier than what? the oem's GY's? I was considering buying the conti DW before settling on the bridgestone S-4 PP tires, which ARE quieter than the michelins I had on there before, which were quieter than the RSA's on my NA. So I guess with my new tires, these are the quietest I have had so far.

I didn't know that there was any type of "goo" as you put it to I guess smear the bottom of the car to deaden road noise., and I don't believe I would use any kind of products that will gum up the works outside and below our cars.. so I googled for the product and cannot find the stuff. In fact there is very little in the markets for this, I only found this site with these products.. Soundproof Cow - Sound Dampening and Deadening Most other hits as far as quieting a noisy car required head phones to deaden sound, ala bose, panasonic and other sound cancellation devices.. I have never used anything like you described and I doubt anyone else here is trying to reduce road noise in the kappas.. IF you find something, and or use something that in your view helped with your perceived road noise issue, please share that..
It might be even "cheaper" IYW, to just replace the tires with something quieter..

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
I recently replaced my OEM RSA's with Michelin Primacy MXV4's. They are quieter, but most of the noise that bothers me (just a little) is from the air conditioner.
Interesting cause I have those tires in my TCH, (they make 2 versions), the oem's that came with the car, altho the same maker, a different tire, the ones on their now are not only noisier, but a harder ride, I picked up on that right away driving away from the tire place..:willy:

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Now, don't tell me to turn my radio up. I am an old fart who never liked loud music. @73 my hearing is still good, and noises bother me.

I think my new tires (continental d/w) with LOTS of rubber and little tread are noisier than the original. Anyhow that and my Sky noise birth defects get on my nerves.

My question, has anyone put any of the noise reduction goo under their car? Does it work? Does it remain sticky/messy?

Still lovin my 07 Redline
bobarry
My engineering "gut" tells me that there isn't much you can do for the kappa. Vehicle sound proofing starts at architecture level and flows outward from there. As soon as you say "drop top", sound proofing from an engineering standpoint goes out the window. Of course, there is component level (e.g., tires, fuel pump, sway bar bushings, etc.) sound reduction...but nothing from a vehicle at large standpoint. Any success you achieve at one place or harmonic will simply be overshadowed by noise from some other place or harmonic.

As for turning up the radio, sometimes it's not the volume but the content that does the trick:

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
As far as the song goes... it'll put you to sleep behind the wheel..:sleep:

this more my speed..

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
My engineering "gut" tells me that there isn't much you can do for the kappa. Vehicle sound proofing starts at architecture level and flows outward from there. As soon as you say "drop top", sound proofing from an engineering standpoint goes out the window. Of course, there is component level (e.g., tires, fuel pump, sway bar bushings, etc.) sound reduction...but nothing from a vehicle at large standpoint. Any success you achieve at one place or harmonic will simply be overshadowed by noise from some other place or harmonic.
Well I'd have to say I disagree. I (along with a bunch of other folks) have installed the SoundDeadenerShowdown "kit" (not really a kit so much as the materials and DIY instructions). I would swear by it. Even my wife noticed the reduction in noise afterward - and that's with the top down (which I didn't expect)! Plus the doors have a much more satisfying and solid clunk when you close them than before.

Downsides is it add somewhere in the neighborhood of 70-75 lbs weight, and it takes a lot of time & patience to install.

Full install info and pictures here: Kappa Specific Sound Deadening Kits
... and more: Don Sambrook finally silences Jonymac's Catless down pipe

·
Registered
508 Posts
funny all this talk about sound, was watching videos last night about removing sounddeadener from the car, (not so much becuase it makes the car lighter, which is also a good thing, but b/c it would make it LOUDER!) I cant get enough of the sound the car makes love that mechanical sound. Infact if I could get my car to sound like every nut and bolt was trying to come loose and the engine was 1 more rpm from exploding! I would be happy happy happy! Oh yeah the exhaust should also sound like the canons on a battle ship or at least like a sonic boom from a jet engine.

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
Rob,
JohnRR and I did the same as you
inc. the trunk worked great.
The Vogue tire is the best on low tyre
noise I ever ran hands down.
LLLFLY

·
Registered
131 Posts
funny all this talk about sound, was watching videos last night about removing sounddeadener from the car, (not so much becuase it makes the car lighter, which is also a good thing, but b/c it would make it LOUDER!) I cant get enough of the sound the car makes love that mechanical sound. Infact if I could get my car to sound like every nut and bolt was trying to come loose and the engine was 1 more rpm from exploding! I would be happy happy happy! Oh yeah the exhaust should also sound like the canons on a battle ship or at least like a sonic boom from a jet engine.
Pull out all the carpet and panels except for the dash and doors. Youll get exactly what you want to hear. Trust me. Been there before. This was before I decided I wasnt going to do what I wanted to do to the car and then put more sound deadening and everything back in.

The stock sound deadening is easy enough to remove. A plastic spatula, heat gun and an hour or two.

Edit: and i second the sound deadner showdown route. Its not what I have, but just from the little I added back in with dynamat, I can only imagine the foam and vinyl make it alot quieter.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Pull out all the carpet and panels except for the dash and doors. Youll get exactly what you want to hear. Trust me. Been there before. This was before I decided I wasnt going to do what I wanted to do to the car and then put more sound deadening and everything back in.

The stock sound deadening is easy enough to remove. A plastic spatula, heat gun and an hour or two.

Edit: and i second the sound deadner showdown route. Its not what I have, but just from the little I added back in with dynamat, I can only imagine the foam and vinyl make it alot quieter.
CooL! Aside form the dash and doors what other panels are there? Wander what the floor looks like without the carpet are there wires and stuff?

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
JohnRR and I have dyamat a entire SKY SE.
One thing you will learn more about your SKY
then most will ever know.Just by doing it.
We have to thank MMike for helping us remove the
dash on video link from NJ to PA.
Lot of fun.
LLLFLY

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
Doses dyamat work? Yes.
Under the seats wires.Yes
A great winter mod.
LLLFLY

·
Registered
131 Posts
CooL! Aside form the dash and doors what other panels are there? Wander what the floor looks like without the carpet are there wires and stuff?
Thats it really. You can pull the a-pillars (lose tweeters that way), sunvisors and the panel that goes along the top of the windshield as well.

In the trunk you can pull the carpeting, trunk lid liner satellite tuner box and wiring (if you have satellite radio)

Here are a couple links that youd probably find interesting that you can look over:
My weight loss program.
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f25/kappa-parts-weight-list-39801/

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.