Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After travelling down a highway that had been milled for oil & tar (Pennslyvania's idea of asphalt which I hate after living in northern Virginia all of my life and having beautiful black, smooth asphalt roads!) in my wife's Sky, Scarlet endured heavy road rash and a few scrapes. Rather than put in an insurance claim or pay out of pocket for a professional paint job, I used TouchupRX7 which is fantastic! Of course, if you look from two feet away, you can tell on the scrape but on the round pock marks, no. I also used the touchup on my Camaro SS which had over 75 white pock marks in the low front end and is also painted red. Bill, the owner is readily available by phone (see their website) and will answer any questions you have. I love this stuff as it's the only touchup I've used that is professional. If you use it and call Bill, tell him Johnny with sent ya.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood
Hood Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Car
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood
Hood Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Car

·
Registered
4 Posts
What is the company name or website for the touchup? I have a victory red saturn sky and I need some touch up. Thank you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the company name or website for the touchup? I have a victory red saturn sky and I need some touch up. Thank you.
Touchuprx.com Bill MLean is the owner...mention Johnny Pappas with Scarlet 08 Saturn Sky, he'll answer all your questions. Post pics and let us know how it turned out...you'll be happy!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Looks good. I used Dr. Colorchip squirt n' squeegee. It worked great on my bluestone with the same issue. Seriously you can't even see it now unless your a few inches away. It won't win any concourse auto shows, but it otherwise works great and is extremely easy to use. This stuff appears to be identical maybe a few bucks less though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks good. I used Dr. Colorchip squirt n' squeegee. It worked great on my bluestone with the same issue. Seriously you can't even see it now unless your a few inches away. It won't win any concourse auto shows, but it otherwise works great and is extremely easy to use. This stuff appears to be identical maybe a few bucks less though.
It is the same company. Bill MLean started Dr. Colorchip 20 years ago and recently he started back again under the name Touchuprx. It is truly great stuff.

·
Registered
656 Posts
It is the same company. Bill MLean started Dr. Colorchip 20 years ago and recently he started back again under the name Touchuprx. It is truly great stuff.
Ok that’s good to know, thanks for that info. I just a bought a new Jeep Gladiator so I will inevitably need another touch up kit as the rock chips happen. I’ll have to compare the kits between the two and see what advantages/disadvantages there are between the two.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I thought it was good stuff as I visited the website for a look see.
Since this product is essentially the same as- Dr. Colorchip & since
this is the same guy who invented it in the first place here you
can't go wrong when hiding the stone chips to you painted surface.

* I got a thumbs up from a couple in a Benz at a stop light yesterday.
I gave them a wave as the light turned green. My car has several
rock chips. This type of product can reduce the volume to minimum
not show or concourse level, but Less visible chips matter on any given day.

I took two new stone chips yesterday on my Run around DC.
I checked this morning to their location- right above the top
of my new windshield on the surround drivers side. Just in
front of the rear wheels is the place that shows the most wear imo.

Yes the front bumper will get hammered because our car sits so low
catching everything thrown up from the car/truck or a " street sweeper"
in front of you.

New paint job from your local body shop estimate- several thousand
dollars worth- using a product like this- not so much.

The chips will happen on any good Run you take- what you do after
is all up to you. It would just our luck to fix/repair all the little chips
what worry us as owners- and then next time out Bingo. A lump settled
within my stomach yesterday when I heard the sound of... ting.. ting again.

* The stretch of road near Easton on the OC Run from May- that cracked my
windshield had not been resurfaced with fresh new asphalt during the Run To OC in Sept.

Well state of MD Road Dept.- if you are going to remove the top 2 inches of
asphalt for 5 miles, for resurfacing but... you don't have the funds to do it quickly
4 months later- not 4 days later or 4 weeks later- why remove the top 2 layers
in the first place? Secure appropriate funds first then remove the top 2 layers.

LAC

·
Registered
55 Posts
I put my mud flaps back on and new Conti Pro tires..... seems to help keep the stone chip events down..... ..... I wonder if aggressive tire tread pattern increases our cars road rash....

·
Administrator
7,202 Posts
I put my mud flaps back on and new Conti Pro tires..... seems to help keep the stone chip events down..... ..... I wonder if aggressive tire tread pattern increases our cars road rash....
Possibly, but I think the rubber composition is a bigger factor, with softer compounds causing more damage. We had terrible problems with racing slicks that have no tread, but very soft rubber.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought it was good stuff as I visited the website for a look see.
Since this product is essentially the same as- Dr. Colorchip & since
this is the same guy who invented it in the first place here you
can't go wrong when hiding the stone chips to you painted surface.

* I got a thumbs up from a couple in a Benz at a stop light yesterday.
I gave them a wave as the light turned green. My car has several
rock chips. This type of product can reduce the volume to minimum
not show or concourse level, but Less visible chips matter on any given day.

I took two new stone chips yesterday on my Run around DC.
I checked this morning to their location- right above the top
of my new windshield on the surround drivers side. Just in
front of the rear wheels is the place that shows the most wear imo.

Yes the front bumper will get hammered because our car sits so low
catching everything thrown up from the car/truck or a " street sweeper"
in front of you.

New paint job from your local body shop estimate- several thousand
dollars worth- using a product like this- not so much.

The chips will happen on any good Run you take- what you do after
is all up to you. It would just our luck to fix/repair all the little chips
what worry us as owners- and then next time out Bingo. A lump settled
within my stomach yesterday when I heard the sound of... ting.. ting again.

* The stretch of road near Easton on the OC Run from May- that cracked my
windshield had not been resurfaced with fresh new asphalt during the Run To OC in Sept.

Well state of MD Road Dept.- if you are going to remove the top 2 inches of
asphalt for 5 miles, for resurfacing but... you don't have the funds to do it quickly
4 months later- not 4 days later or 4 weeks later- why remove the top 2 layers
in the first place? Secure appropriate funds first then remove the top 2 layers.

LAC
You live in Maryland and close to DC? My wife and I were born in DC and lived in Maryland, oxon hill, Beltsville, wheaton and Bethesda and later on Annandale, Alexandria, Woodbridge and the last 20 years Reston before retiring to PA. You think MD, VA roads are bad, I would trade them any day for PA roads, the oil and chip instead of asphalt they do is terrible!!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok that’s good to know, thanks for that info. I just a bought a new Jeep Gladiator so I will inevitably need another touch up kit as the rock chips happen. I’ll have to compare the kits between the two and see what advantages/disadvantages there are between the two.
They are the same materials...works very well!

·
Registered
656 Posts
They are the same materials...works very well!
I understand, I was referring to the kits they offer and pricing mostly. Now that I've actually taken a look, it looks like Touchuprx only sells the one kit vs Dr Color Chip's 4. Obviously the biggest difference in those 4 is the volume of paint/blending solution and what additional items that come with each kit. The closest comparison I can tell between the two is Dr Color Chip's "squirt n' squeegee" kit which is $59.95 vs Touchuprx's kit for $49.95 plus free shipping. So I would say the Touchuprx appears to be the better value at the moment. Thanks again for the heads up.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
You live in Maryland and close to DC? My wife and I were born in DC and lived in Maryland, oxon hill, Beltsville, wheaton and Bethesda and later on Annandale, Alexandria, Woodbridge and the last 20 years Reston before retiring to PA. You think MD, VA roads are bad, I would trade them any day for PA roads, the oil and chip instead of asphalt they do is terrible!!!!
Yes I do live here in the State of Maryland- I have all of my life.
Yes the quality or lack thereof varies by state and the funds for their Roads Dept. be it on the State level or county. VA is a pretty rich state when compared to MD or PA in their road repairs. Some roads are glorious, others not so much for us as owners.

Ahhh Beltsville, MD I used to work & live there back in the day. Wheaton area- lived and work there too. I have been on PA roads- see the LAC Films U-Tube site. I moved away from the DC region several years ago. I grew up inside the infamous 495 Beltway. Learned to drive here back then- now days I avoid the place like it had a " virus " to it's inhabitants.

Way to much traffic now. I only visit for family members and a special occasion now and then.
I would rather find a different route around the problematic areas in the corridor of hell as I call it now days. Shear lunacy among it's so called drivers.

Anything from Richmond, VA up the I-95, around the 495, up to the 695 in Baltimore- and pasted towards Philadelphia can be brutal as it is with many larger cities. Having the Federal
Gov't here sure doesn't help any, with this densely populated region as I'm sure you are familiar with. Nope now days I'm within 5 minutes of the PA border- I prefer going west towards Deep Creek Lake area as opposed to SE towards DC or east towards Baltimore.
Screw that- you're on your own over there. The Run to OC is always nice- it puts the Bay
between me and stupid people on any road in any direction. Having the mountains past
the Frederick area is a blessing in disguise shielding me from the triangle of evil...
DC I-270 north to Frederick- I-70 east to Baltimore.. I-95 south back to DC. Beware of
this region- trust me. All of the connectors to these roads can produce a " chippy " result
to your cars exterior or crack your windshield when coming back from the beach.

Road hazards happen on any given day.
Our cars take a beating whether we like it or not as owners.

Tires- not in the Sky I have suffered two punctures, one from a sawed in half motor mount,
the other a broken screwdriver.

A minor scrape above the driver side fake side vent- & the cracked wind shield are
the only times- ACM has been in the body shop.
Lots of little chips here and there, anything large I touch up.

I once had a loose horse- running down the middle of the road.. at night right by drivers side
in the old 3000GT after dropping my daughter off at the ex's house. Weekend Dad back then.

The odd sticks or " stones " in this case cause damage whether we drive a pos or Lambo.
Yes it cost more to fix the Lambo- that's all on Lamborghini here-
where the pos will stay as is- gives it character a patina of pain, that a can of flat gray spray paint can do wonders to the overall look minus the duck tape applied the side view mirrors- which I have seen done.

Flex tape for the real deal road side repairs on the fly. MaCgiverisum
Why yes I can defuse a nuclear weapon with just a paper clip, some chewing gun, & duc-tape on any given day.

The product is good, The price is a little steep. The results look... marvelous when compared to the before.

LAC

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes I do live here in the State of Maryland- I have all of my life.
Yes the quality or lack thereof varies by state and the funds for their Roads Dept. be it on the State level or county. VA is a pretty rich state when compared to MD or PA in their road repairs. Some roads are glorious, others not so much for us as owners.

Ahhh Beltsville, MD I used to work & live there back in the day. Wheaton area- lived and work there too. I have been on PA roads- see the LAC Films U-Tube site. I moved away from the DC region several years ago. I grew up inside the infamous 495 Beltway. Learned to drive here back then- now days I avoid the place like it had a " virus " to it's inhabitants.

Way to much traffic now. I only visit for family members and a special occasion now and then.
I would rather find a different route around the problematic areas in the corridor of hell as I call it now days. Shear lunacy among it's so called drivers.

Anything from Richmond, VA up the I-95, around the 495, up to the 695 in Baltimore- and pasted towards Philadelphia can be brutal as it is with many larger cities. Having the Federal
Gov't here sure doesn't help any, with this densely populated region as I'm sure you are familiar with. Nope now days I'm within 5 minutes of the PA border- I prefer going west towards Deep Creek Lake area as opposed to SE towards DC or east towards Baltimore.
Screw that- you're on your own over there. The Run to OC is always nice- it puts the Bay
between me and stupid people on any road in any direction. Having the mountains past
the Frederick area is a blessing in disguise shielding me from the triangle of evil...
DC I-270 north to Frederick- I-70 east to Baltimore.. I-95 south back to DC. Beware of
this region- trust me. All of the connectors to these roads can produce a " chippy " result
to your cars exterior or crack your windshield when coming back from the beach.

Road hazards happen on any given day.
Our cars take a beating whether we like it or not as owners.

Tires- not in the Sky I have suffered two punctures, one from a sawed in half motor mount,
the other a broken screwdriver.

A minor scrape above the driver side fake side vent- & the cracked wind shield are
the only times- ACM has been in the body shop.
Lots of little chips here and there, anything large I touch up.

I once had a loose horse- running down the middle of the road.. at night right by drivers side
in the old 3000GT after dropping my daughter off at the ex's house. Weekend Dad back then.

The odd sticks or " stones " in this case cause damage whether we drive a pos or Lambo.
Yes it cost more to fix the Lambo- that's all on Lamborghini here-
where the pos will stay as is- gives it character a patina of pain, that a can of flat gray spray paint can do wonders to the overall look minus the duck tape applied the side view mirrors- which I have seen done.

Flex tape for the real deal road side repairs on the fly. MaCgiverisum
Why yes I can defuse a nuclear weapon with just a paper clip, some chewing gun, & duc-tape on any given day.

The product is good, The price is a little steep. The results look... marvelous when compared to the before.

LAC
Looks like you're familiar with the DC region as I am. I remember you could drive on the beltway between 9:30am and 4pm and still make great time but in the last 20 years or so, the window of time for actually driving 55 or more diminished down to between 11am and 2:30pm and even then around the Cabin John bridge and then Mormon temple in Maryland - it's bumper to bumper. Yeah, the price for the product is steep, I agree but painting the whole nose or fender plus door would cost 10 to 20 times the amount for Touchup so in that respect...it's a real bargain!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts