Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is what I know from driving mine....

3rd gear, 4200 rpm, 60 mph

4th gear, 3000 rpm, 60 mph

redline 7000

not even gotten it into 5th gear yet

I was figuring this out at 60 mph when I noticed that a state patrol was on the overpass tagging me. Under the overpass I went, looked back that he was gone. Oh come on! 60 is not 65 or 75. I went into the right lane and slowed to 58 with the other traffic and, sure enough, out popped the State Patrol into the fast lane heading up to me. I could not believe it! So up he come, he comes along side, slows down for a few seconds, and then putters off ahead of us all. Just cam by for looks, I guess.

Taught me that a siver arrow catches attention especially when Oregon has not seen one on the road (except mine). I will leaver 5th gear for our trip to Las Vegas or Monterey... or maybe just hit Montana to go fast.

... I be smilin'

Chris

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
When you heading to Sin City?

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
You can also hit 60 mph in second gear right before fuel cutoff at 7200 RPM.

Just be advised the speedo is 'dampened' during heavy acceleration so as to not cause sparatic movement so your shown MPH is not actually how fast you're going. If you want an accurate RPM readout you need to level off at a speed for a couple seconds to ensure the corret reading. That's why it never looks like you're doing 60 mph in 2nd gear unless you sat at fuel cutoff and let it stay there (which I don't suggest). It also means a cop could clock you higher then you think you're going under heavy acceleration by 2~5 mph possibly.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Isn't it best not to stress a car reving at high rpm - especially during the break-in period? On the other hand I don't suppose driving along at 30 mph in 5th gear doesn't do your engine any good either.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
SunneySky said:
Isn't it best not to stress a car reving at high rpm - especially during the break-in period? On the other hand I don't suppose driving along at 30 mph in 5th gear doesn't do your engine any good either.
Break-in is only for the first 500 miles, so if he's past that there's no real issue.

Direct form the owners manual for those who haven't read it yet.
New Vehicle Break-In

Notice: Your vehicle does not need an elaborate break-in. But it will perform better in the long run if you follow these guidelines for the first 500 miles (805 km):
  • Do not drive at any one constant speed, fast or slow.
  • Do not exceed 70 mph (113 km/h).
  • Do not make full-throttle starts; also refrain from using the full throttle while driving. Avoid downshifting to brake, or slow, the vehicle.
If these break-in procedures are not followed, the vehicle’s engine, axle, or other parts could be damaged.

Avoid making hard stops for the first 200 miles (322 km) or so. During this time your new brake linings are not yet broken in. Hard stops with new linings can mean premature wear and earlier replacement. Follow this breaking-in guideline every time you get new brake linings.

Following break-in, engine speed and load can be gradually increased.

·
Registered
9 Posts
brentil said:
Do not drive at any one constant speed, fast or slow.
Eh? Thats a wierd one.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
trunkskun said:
Eh? Thats a wierd one.

Oh I remember THAT one from when I was a kid. My Brother and I would often accompany my Dad as he took "Break in trips". He'd make sure he varied the speed and gradually increase ... It was kinda fun.... But not driving at one speed for long periods was definitely on the list...

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
If you travel at a constant speed you keep the vibrations and the forces on the car the same over an extended period. The idea is to expose the car to various forces under controlled conditions (like no high reving or downshifting) to properly break the car in.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good feedback! I am at 114 miles and was just talking to my son-in-law about how to break this in. He says that racing motorcycles need to have quick increaseof rpm in order to 'swell' the rings and work the cross-hatch on the cylinder walls. My old school was to take the 289 or 327 out at 120 mph for 1,000 miles and call it good.

I will follow the new rules of break-in.
Tks,
Chris

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
slight update....

miles on car now = 850 [aka broken in]

Did speed trials on the freeway coming home to Portland:
60 in 2nd prior to redline
90 in 3rd prior to redline
90 in 4th at 4500 rpm... I stopped there since 110mph with 7 inches of clearance makes for road flying if you hit a sudden rise.

My son-in-law works at Portland International Raceway [PIR] so I am taking it out there to hit 5th gear - nice, smooth, with room to race.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I would sure like to hear some engineer explain most of those proscriptions.
I wonder if any of them have ever been validated? Varying your speed doesn't
make any apparent sense.

·
Registered
554 Posts
There are racer methods for breaking in a new engine in just 2 hours. Getting the rings and bearings to seat properly is the key. Do an Internet search on engine break ins and see how it's down. This way, you can go out ragging on your new toy the same day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts