Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy,

The W and I just returned from a week-end trip and I wanted to let you know the good and bad from over 600 miles in our SKY. We decided to take a run into the Sierra's with a stay at a B&B - those familiar with N Cal. we traveled from the East Bay to Tahoe, on to Truckee and up to Quincy and back. Roads taken, 88, 89, 70, 49, 160 and a bit on 80 (fwy).

The bad first :
- a bit tight to go 5-6 hours straight. We should have made a few more stops to stretch.
- answering all the questions at fuel/food stops.

The really bad:
- we had to go home.

The good:
- ride. Of the 600+ miles only @50 were on a freeway. Well behaved on the Fwy and surpisingly quiet. The remaining miles where on mountain roads, lots of turns :cool: . I was not playing Mario Andretti but this car is a dream in the twisties. You can easily run 10 - 15 mph over the recommeded speed signs in the turns ( I am NOT advocating breaking any speed laws here :nono: ) which are well under the posted speed limits.

- interior. Other than not stopping enough for stretching, this car fits like a glove and is very comfortable. Makes the mountain roads easier to drive without becoming a chore after a while - no body roll to wear you out. It really handles like a go cart.

- the trunk. I no longer buy into the "this car has no trunk room" crap. Using soft duffle bags we were easily able to pack for a week-end complete with camera gear and hanging bag. We had plenty of room left over and we could have packed for 4-5 nights without a hassle, which we'll be doing in August. Yes, the top was up but as soon as we checked in, down it came.

- answering all the questions at fuel/food stops. The W got a first hand experience with the "head snap/jaw drop" that I have been saying happens all the time. She giggled and really hoped that the one guy didn't stick his sandwich in his ear as we drove by! Getting into and out of a grocery store parking lot was interesting too - same three guys who saw us pull in were still hovering as we came back out - with plenty of questions and one estimate; $47 - 48,000. :)

- performance.We have the auto tranny and it was very versitile and to my mind handled to mountain roads very well. Sound level as we ran the RPM up was great. Nice exhaust note - not buzzy or whinny. We were able to average 28 MPG for the entire trip with one run at 30.4.

Conclusions:
We both love this car! It was a blast for me as the pilot and the W as co-pilot! We can't wait for August to take it over the Sierrras to Mammoth - going thru Yosemite's Toualamee Medows. Oh, pics to come soon.

:D

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
That is really great to hear. My cousin is coming in from out west and we will take a road trip to the beach and to visit relatives. If the car does indeed make it by the end o this month!!! We both are jeans and tee gals so I wasn't worried about the luggage, but now I am not worried at all! Thanks for sharing and I am jealous of your trip! Hubby has been to the sierras, but I am still waiting! :)

·
Registered
802 Posts
bigdog said:
Howdy,

The W and I just returned from a week-end trip and I wanted to let you know the good and bad from over 600 miles in our SKY. We decided to take a run into the Sierra's with a stay at a B&B - those familiar with N Cal. we traveled from the East Bay to Tahoe, on to Truckee and up to Quincy and back. Roads taken, 88, 89, 70, 49, 160 and a bit on 80 (fwy).

The bad first :
- a bit tight to go 5-6 hours straight. We should have made a few more stops to stretch.
- answering all the questions at fuel/food stops.

The really bad:
- we had to go home.

The good:
- ride. Of the 600+ miles only @50 were on a freeway. Well behaved on the Fwy and surpisingly quiet. The remaining miles where on mountain roads, lots of turns :cool: . I was not playing Mario Andretti but this car is a dream in the twisties. You can easily run 10 - 15 mph over the recommeded speed signs in the turns ( I am NOT advocating breaking any speed laws here :nono: ) which are well under the posted speed limits.

- interior. Other than not stopping enough for stretching, this car fits like a glove and is very comfortable. Makes the mountain roads easier to drive without becoming a chore after a while - no body roll to wear you out. It really handles like a go cart.

- the trunk. I no longer buy into the "this car has no trunk room" crap. Using soft duffle bags we were easily able to pack for a week-end complete with camera gear and hanging bag. We had plenty of room left over and we could have packed for 4-5 nights without a hassle, which we'll be doing in August. Yes, the top was up but as soon as we checked in, down it came.

- answering all the questions at fuel/food stops. The W got a first hand experience with the "head snap/jaw drop" that I have been saying happens all the time. She giggled and really hoped that the one guy didn't stick his sandwich in his ear as we drove by! Getting into and out of a grocery store parking lot was interesting too - same three guys who saw us pull in were still hovering as we came back out - with plenty of questions and one estimate; $47 - 48,000. :)

- performance.We have the auto tranny and it was very versitile and to my mind handled to mountain roads very well. Sound level as we ran the RPM up was great. Nice exhaust note - not buzzy or whinny. We were able to average 28 MPG for the entire trip with one run at 30.4.

Conclusions:
We both love this car! It was a blast for me as the pilot and the W as co-pilot! We can't wait for August to take it over the Sierrras to Mammoth - going thru Yosemite's Toualamee Medows. Oh, pics to come soon.

:D

Great description of a great ride. Yosemite's Tuolumne Meadows is really a great trip. If memory isn't slipping it comes out at Tioga Pass (which scares the stuffiing out of me) with its sheer cliffs ending at Lee Vining (where I found the most expensive gas in the country) gas is twice as much as normal.
That is one trip I would love to take again in my SKY!

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Pretty much the same conclusions that I came to on driving my SKY from L.A. to Monterey - freeway up, Big Sur down. We had the top down on the way up and really wedged those duffles in there. But it's workable, and well worth the effort.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts