Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone given a thought to the Sky not having Roll Bars? :confused: I'm not a speed freak so it may only affect me if I get hit by someone (God forbid :eek: )

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Considering that the auto is wider than taller the chance of it rolling are minimal. Of couse getting t-boned is a different story And then it is each man for hisself. Skip..knock on wood never rolled or t-boned in 40 years....:lol: :lol: The windshield frame is intigrated into the frame of the Sky by the way, that's why it is the color it is .....

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Angelqute1 said:
It's kinda too bad... I would have liked to take it to a Track Day to see what it can do... espeically since it has an intake..
and 20" Foose Wheels!!! :thumbs: :cheers: BTW, need more pics of your SKY with them wheels!!! :eek:

Regards,

:willy: BA :willy:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Yeah more pics:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
SKY Spy said:
and 20" Foose Wheels!!! :thumbs: :cheers: BTW, need more pics of your SKY with them wheels!!! :eek:

Regards,

:willy: BA :willy:
I have never liked those big wheels with little thin rubber, and having seen them posted elsewhere here that just enforces my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
I've been looking into the possibility of getting bars made for my Solstice, but it's going to be costly and take some time since none exist at all so far.

Angelqute1 said:
It's kinda too bad... I would have liked to take it to a Track Day to see what it can do... espeically since it has an intake..
You only need a bar for racing if you're doing wheel to wheel or drag racing a car that can do the 1/4 mile under a certain speed (which we definitely can not do). I race mine without a bar along with a lot of other convertible owners at the local SCCA events.

·
Registered
231 Posts
brentil said:
I've been looking into the possibility of getting bars made for my Solstice, but it's going to be costly and take some time since none exist at all so far.

You only need a bar for racing if you're doing wheel to wheel or drag racing a car that can do the 1/4 mile under a certain speed (which we definitely can not do). I race mine without a bar along with a lot of other convertible owners at the local SCCA events.
What about open track days/HPDE's? Every one I've ever been to had a roll bar rule for convertibles.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Mallard said:
What about open track days/HPDE's? Every one I've ever been to had a roll bar rule for convertibles.
Because drivers ed style classes train you for wheel to wheel style racing usually. Most track days I've been too are also wheel to wheel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
brentil said:
Since they can probably sell them for both the Sky & the Solstice, there may be enough of a market for someone (hard dog? autopower?) to make a roll bar. Once we get a factory hard top, and the cars can go SCCA club racing, someone will make a full cage for them - the question will then be if it is a kit cage, or if everyone will have to get them custom built.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
More pics of the car and you please. :lol: :thumbs:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a brother-in-law that crashes cars for GM. I'm trying (through him) to see if there is an intergrated roll bar. Looks like there is something in the tech sheets....but is it good enough for the driving schools is the question. He is a very busy guy so who know when I'll get an answer....hopefully soon.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
KevinSC1 said:
Since they can probably sell them for both the Sky & the Solstice, there may be enough of a market for someone (hard dog? autopower?) to make a roll bar. Once we get a factory hard top, and the cars can go SCCA club racing, someone will make a full cage for them - the question will then be if it is a kit cage, or if everyone will have to get them custom built.
There already is a factory hard top you can purchase if you have an SCCA Club Sport license and a VINed Sol. It also has a full cage inside of it, but the cage was hand built for the car specifically and not meant to be a produced item. The car in the images attached is a prepped SSB Club Racing car ready to go. This is a Z0K optioned Solstice Club Sport.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Ricky said:
I have a brother-in-law that crashes cars for GM. I'm trying (through him) to see if there is an intergrated roll bar. Looks like there is something in the tech sheets....but is it good enough for the driving schools is the question. He is a very busy guy so who know when I'll get an answer....hopefully soon.
I can give you a 100% answer of no there is not. Looking at some of the old concept frame pics there was what looked like a roll bar but was later replaced in functional frame pics with a small bar that would not support the cars entire weight. Driving schools have different requirments too that an internal bar would not suffice for either.

·
Registered
231 Posts
brentil said:
I can give you a 100% answer of no there is not. Looking at some of the old concept frame pics there was what looked like a roll bar but was later replaced in functional frame pics with a small bar that would not support the cars entire weight. Driving schools have different requirments too that an internal bar would not suffice for either.
Yeah, even if there were an internal bar it would be lower then the top of your head. That's a no-no.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Mallard said:
Yeah, even if there were an internal bar it would be lower then the top of your head. That's a no-no.
SCCA for SOLO II sugests it to be I think 3 inches above your helmet? I'll have to go look in the rule book again. Ok, this is the SOLO II roll-bar requirments, which are far more lax then Club Racing.

The top of the roll bar shall not be below the top of the driver’s helmet when the driver is in normal driving position, and shall not be more than six inches behind the driver. It is strongly suggested that the roll bar extend at least three inches above the driver’s helmet. In case of two driver cars, both drivers must be within the roll bar height requirement, however only one driver must be within six inches of the roll bar. In a closed car equipped with a roll bar/cage, it must be as close as possible to the interior top of the car.
[/quote

1 - 17 of 17 Posts