Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if this is normal as I have never had a rag top before.

It is my understanding that the rag top should bead up the water and roll off...so to speak. Well, it has been raining now for 5 days and there isn't a single 'bead' of rain on the top. The top looks pretty much soaked. Has anyone else found this to be the same?

Also, if the Sky is not sitting flat or with the nose pointing uphill, we are getting a pool of water at the back window between the humps (sitting in the drive now it has about 1/2 inch water between the humps. I haven't tried to open the lid yet, I dread that I might find water in the trunk. Any help out there with this...except the obvious turn the car backwards in the drive!

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I know some on the Sol site had problems with water in the trunks after rain and I think Ernest had some water issue too. I'll be curious how yours handled the water?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Same here. However, I have had no water in the trunk yet and I have inspected it very carefully. The drain system they have have developed is truly remarkable. Any wind noise comming from the side windows in the lower corners?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Kustomkaps said:

It is my understanding that the rag top should bead up the water and roll off...so to speak. Well, it has been raining now for 5 days and there isn't a single 'bead' of rain on the top. The top looks pretty much soaked. Has anyone else found this to be the same?

Also, if the Sky is not sitting flat or with the nose pointing uphill, we are getting a pool of water at the back window between the humps (sitting in the drive now it has about 1/2 inch water between the humps. I haven't tried to open the lid yet, I dread that I might find water in the trunk. Any help out there with this...except the obvious turn the car backwards in the drive!
Kustomkaps, I was wondering were you satisfied with your Saturn dealership?
I know in Michigan there are quite a few.
MRSVIPER

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Barry said:
Same here. However, I have had no water in the trunk yet and I have inspected it very carefully. The drain system they have have developed is truly remarkable. Any wind noise comming from the side windows in the lower corners?

I have an annoying wind noise on the driver side behind my left ear. I am trying to pin point it in the seals, but I haven't found it yet. I only hear it when I am at highway speeds.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Kustomkaps said:

I'm curious...has any of that water soaked through the rag top? If you sit inside the car and feel the top from the inside, is it dry? This has been a concern of mine ever since I made the decision to buy a convertible. I know they say that the top must be treated properly to extend the life and water-resistancy of it. Did you treat your top with any kind of fabric treatment such as the "RaggTopp" products?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MRSVIPER said:
Kustomkaps, I was wondering were you satisfied with your Saturn dealership?
I know in Michigan there are quite a few.
MRSVIPER
Actually, my dealership is GREAT! but it isn't in Michigan. I use the Saturn of Toledo. We were one of the first people to have bought a saturn there back in 1991 and the 4th to buy the Sky. Very nice people to deal with and always there when you have questions.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nscrbug said:
I'm curious...has any of that water soaked through the rag top? If you sit inside the car and feel the top from the inside, is it dry? This has been a concern of mine ever since I made the decision to buy a convertible. I know they say that the top must be treated properly to extend the life and water-resistancy of it. Did you treat your top with any kind of fabric treatment such as the "RaggTopp" products?
We have NOT treated the top with anything, nor have we washed or brushed it. It is still the way it was when we picked it up last weekend. I haven't seen any water in the cabin AT ALL, but if I remember, the inside of the top seemed to be coated...but I am not 100% sure on that as I haven't drove it in a few days.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
superfryguy said:
Just wondering if anyone has heard air coming from the back of the door window while driving with the top up??
Yes, I have an air leak somewhere on the driver side, but I notice it only at highway speeds. I am thinking some of the seals are being pulled out from the window due to the air speed hitting them. BUT, I have to say that the ride is very quiet compared to ALL the other rag tops I have been in.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Kustomkaps said:
Yes, I have an air leak somewhere on the driver side, but I notice it only at highway speeds. I am thinking some of the seals are being pulled out from the window due to the air speed hitting them. BUT, I have to say that the ride is very quiet compared to ALL the other rag tops I have been in.
There was windnoise from the driver side window on my test drive..I mentioned it and no one seemed too alarmed...so I assume we are all hearing the same noise and it is normal...nature of the beast

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
This is my third rag top, the first was a '69 Buick Skylark I restored back in the early '90s so I don't remember the wind noise on it. I currently have a '71 Vette and '90 Jeep Wrangler. The Jeep is so noisy I have to wear ear plugs at highway speeds (mud terrain tires don't help any either) and the Vette has a lot of wind noise, but also is about to undergood a full restoration (as soon as I can convince my wife it is now the time she has been promising me for 13 years:lol: ). I have also ridden in other ragtops, and the Sky[ is by far the quietest, both top up and down. I also think it is quiter than some of the econo-boxes I have driven.:D

·
Registered
422 Posts
TexSon said:
This is my third rag top, the first was a '69 Buick Skylark I restored back in the early '90s so I don't remember the wind noise on it. I currently have a '71 Vette and '90 Jeep Wrangler. The Jeep is so noisy I have to wear ear plugs at highway speeds (mud terrain tires don't help any either) and the Vette has a lot of wind noise, but also is about to undergood a full restoration (as soon as I can convince my wife it is now the time she has been promising me for 13 years:lol: ). I have also ridden in other ragtops, and the Sky[ is by far the quietest, both top up and down. I also think it is quiter than some of the econo-boxes I have driven.:D
Ok the car is new and it seems a good construction for low noise level :thumbs:
But what is your opinion of the long term quality and the behavior some years later? I think you can estimate because you got alot of ragtops before.

·
Registered
94 Posts
yeah i got noise too i see where it comes from if you look from the outside into the each side window u will see an indent in the molding and it looks like and sounds like its coming from there....any ideas on fixing it

·
Registered
57 Posts
Kustomkaps said:

I know i am a little late at chiming in on this one. The water soaks into the fabric of my top too, i plan on getting it protected, but nothing has ever entered the cabin anywhere. As for the water pooling near the rear window, there is actually an interior drainage system designed for water that runs down the side of the top into the trunk. It funnels it into two pockets which are tubed through the bottom of the trunk and out of the car. :leaving:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Canvas tops look wet!

I have had many convertibles over the years. The tops are either a vinyl plastic (like the Miata and earlier GM, Chrysler and Ford) or canvas like the BMW and the Sky. The canvas tops always look soaked when out in the rain but rarely leak through....at least that is my experience. I have never had one leak. I have run my Sky thru some pressurized car washes and it does not leak a drop. There arer various top cleaners and sealants available but I believe that was covered by other posts.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Kustomkaps said:
If you are concerned about it soaking through, go here to see about rag top care.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It is my best guess that none of the tops (Sky/Sol) have been treated from the factory. Raggtop is something that is widely used. I went to the local Porsche shop to see what they used. The dude showed me something that was a 'specific' brand but commented under his breath about Raggtop being the same.
He also commented that our type of top when treated, should bead up.

Regarding the water staging between the humps. I just learned to park the car at a different angle so it doesn't collect there.

·
Registered
94 Posts
my car beads with light water and then it later gets soaked after all the rain we had but it doesnt leak...but i would still treat it within the first few months of getting it even if saturn did...wont hurt.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts