Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My roof has been raised and lowered less than a half dozen times so far, and I already have a tear in the rubber gasket between the top of the windshield and the roof. While driving in a rain storm yesterday, I was deluged on my left thigh. Earlier, I found water there, but I thought it was because I had to get into the car while it was raining hard (Arizona monsoon season).

The dealer had to order an new gasket for the top of the windshield, which looks like a complex molded piece of rubber (don't know how much they cost). We both looked at this closely, and it looks like something that would tear very easily, so be careful when you put your top up.

Attachments

·
Registered
669 Posts
rich, I've got the same tear, but I've not had any leaks...and we've had some pretty torrential rains lately. I'm a lot more careful when I put the top up now...it's that pin that caused the tear. I showed the service manager and he said that he could order a new gasket, and that I'd probably do it again...I'll probably wait to see if it is going to leak first, or until my warranty is about to run out.:) The top actually seals above my tear, so that may be why I haven't had the leaks yet. Good heads up, though!

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Voluntary recall campaign, tear caused by unlatching

I've seen this tear on one other car, and they didn't know they had it either.

My dealer replaced mine today, and told me that there was a voluntary recall campaign for this rubber gasket. They said that they didn't know about the recall till after they ordered my part, that it was for only the first Skys and many Solstices.

They said that the recall "blamed" the tears on HOW we are unlatching the roof. Apparently, according to the instructions with the recall, you MUST not LIFT as you unlatch. You MUST pull the top straight back into the trunk.

So, I would guess that this tear is caused by lifting the roof and dropping it. It is a pain how finnicky this top is. I really hate lending my car out now, because I have to give so many instructions, (don't close the hood with the door open, etc).

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Thanks for the heads up buddy. Since I have a low vin I will be looking at mine today...:thumbs:

·
Registered
804 Posts
richm said:
... I really hate lending my car out now, because I have to give so many instructions, (don't close the hood with the door open, etc).
Why are you 'lending' your car out to what sounds like many people? Just give them a ride or have them get there own. I wouldn't like having someone take my car and go out about the town opening the hood, taking the roof up and down, etc. that's what a demo is for at the dealer.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
richm said:
I've seen this tear on one other car, and they didn't know they had it either.

My dealer replaced mine today, and told me that there was a voluntary recall campaign for this rubber gasket. They said that they didn't know about the recall till after they ordered my part, that it was for only the first Skys and many Solstices.

They said that the recall "blamed" the tears on HOW we are unlatching the roof. Apparently, according to the instructions with the recall, you MUST not LIFT as you unlatch. You MUST pull the top straight back into the trunk.

So, I would guess that this tear is caused by lifting the roof and dropping it. It is a pain how finnicky this top is. I really hate lending my car out now, because I have to give so many instructions, (don't close the hood with the door open, etc).
====================================

I must have missed a thread ... "don't close the hood with the door open" ? Please explain. :)

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
GetAboutRL said:
====================================

I must have missed a thread ... "don't close the hood with the door open" ? Please explain. :)

Because of the 'clamshell' hood design, you're not supposed to close the hood with the doors partially open because it can chip the paint. The doors either have to be ALL the way open, or completely shut before you close the hood. There is a little sticker somewhere on the car (I forget where) warning the owner of this. :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
After seeing this and one or two other posts - I have been VERY aware of my pins and all when latching/unlatching. It may just be a little something to get used to - but a lot nicer when you don't have to get anything fixed -- THANK YOU:thumbs:

Early on - I once latched the roof w/the passenger pin UNDER the receiving hole.. Fortunately -- no problems...

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kustomkaps said:
Why are you 'lending' your car out to what sounds like many people? Just give them a ride or have them get there own. I wouldn't like having someone take my car and go out about the town opening the hood, taking the roof up and down, etc. that's what a demo is for at the dealer.
I have a huge family. This is the third first-year convertible that I have owned, and so there is a tradition of lending it out to friends and family for fun runs, events, etc. I take a zen-approach to "stuff," so I feel comfortable loaning things out, while I understand people who choose not to.

I am suggesting, however, that the Sky might not be a very good Avis rental car, because the casual user needs to learn about several quirks to avoid damaging it. I think I have driven, owned, and rented just about every convertible out there, and I have never felt that I had to be so careful about how I close the trunk, how I close the hood, how I raise the roof, how I lower the roof, how to check the oil, etc. I guess I expected this car to be an all-american production car that I could take to Wal-Mart for an oil change, but it is more like a Ferarri - take it to anyone but the dealer and you are inviting trouble.

Don't get me wrong, I am not dissing my car. I love it. It was just a reality check to learn about the quirks. I am sure that if you asked owners of European performance sports cars, their list of quirks would be even longer, but this car is made in Deleware, and sold by Pontiac and Saturn. I expected less of this.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
richm said:
Don't get me wrong, I am not dissing my car. I love it. It was just a reality check to learn about the quirks. I am sure that if you asked owners of European performance sports cars, their list of quirks would be even longer, but this car is made in Deleware, and sold by Pontiac and Saturn. I expected less of this.
Gee after all the years of everyone saying we (USA) should be MORE like the European sports cars -- you'd think the "quirks" would be MORE than acceptable! :D
You are a generous person to lend cars and yes -- I DO agree this is NOT an AVIS one-day rental car... But it IS a dream to own. I kind of LIKE explaining some of the quirkiness to others. I have noticed something too. People who have owned sports cars and/or convertibles seem to nod their head and say -- Ahyup! Others seem to be a bit put off....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts