Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Sky since April and the roof is starting to show some wear and tear. Underneath the butresses, where the trunk meets the canvas of the top, holes are beggining to form. These holes were formed by the "sharp" edges of the trunk. According to the dealer, the only solution is a new roof as it will only get worse. Has anyone else that has had their Sky for a while having this problem? :brentil:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Torn Top

I had my Sky 4 days and noticed a tear where the Butress folds - look at your outside edge. I am told this is a desinged stress tear by engineering.

When taking a look this past weekend to see if it's gotten bigger, I lifted the outside rear top corner (when relesed) and the elastic strap that should ahve 'hole' to connect thru now has a tear.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got my roof replaced. Saturn had outsourced the job to an uphosltery guy who specializes in convertible tops. When the car was returned I was told that I couldnt put the top down because the guy couldnt get the alignment right. They needed to get an engineer to the shop and would call me when hes available. Hmmmm. Took the car home, it rained, roof leaked. I took car back to Saturn, still awaiting engineer.

I understand that this is a new car and all but doesnt Saturn have manuals for their techs to follow? I was quite suprised when Saturn didnt do the work themselves.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Ouch!!

I got my roof replaced. Saturn had outsourced the job to an uphosltery guy who specializes in convertible tops. When the car was returned I was told that I couldnt put the top down because the guy couldnt get the alignment right. They needed to get an engineer to the shop and would call me when hes available. Hmmmm. Took the car home, it rained, roof leaked. I took car back to Saturn, still awaiting engineer.

I understand that this is a new car and all but doesnt Saturn have manuals for their techs to follow? I was quite suprised when Saturn didnt do the work themselves.
Oh Man, this is really scary :willy: I"m going to go out and check my top. So far I haven't noticed anything wrong, but afraid to look. Hope they get it fixed for ya. Please keep us posted.
Theresa:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
850 Posts

The problem is they have never had a convertible before. The only thing they have, fabric wish, is seats and they replace them as a unit. When there were cloth headliners, and everyone had convertibles, yeah, you had techs who knew how to do that. This is my third convertible, and trust me, you want someone who knows what they are doing to replace the top! :eek:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I've noticed where the high or pointy parts of the top rub against the bottom of the trunk when stowed, are wearing at the material.

not a hole yet, just rub marks. shouldn't be to much longer before the holes start to appear.

Had mine since March.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Trunk issues

I'm having a rubbing issue on the driver's side of my roof. Let me see if I can describe the location. When the trunk is open you will see two black sort of pyramid shaped plastic pieces near the back of the car, on the underside of the trunk lid. It looks to me like the one on the driver's side is rubbing when the top is down since I am developing a white spot a little more than midway back. My first solution was to put a towel over it that I also used to put against the car so my pants wouldn't get dirty when I put the top up and down. That left lint though.

I also noticed the other day that one of the drain plugs going into the trunk floor, also on the driver's side, is broken and pull right out of the floor. It looks like the screw hole broke and now won't hold the piece in place.

Oh let's see. What else? Yes, also on the driver's side at some point when the top was put down it grabbed onto the stiff carpet that goes up the inside of the trunk, folded it over, so now it doesn't want to stay flat against the side right behind the driver's seat. Easy enough to fix but :brentil:

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm having a rubbing issue on the driver's side of my roof. Let me see if I can describe the location. When the trunk is open you will see two black sort of pyramid shaped plastic pieces near the back of the car, on the underside of the trunk lid. It looks to me like the one on the driver's side is rubbing when the top is down since I am developing a white spot a little more than midway back. My first solution was to put a towel over it that I also used to put against the car so my pants wouldn't get dirty when I put the top up and down. That left lint though.

I also noticed the other day that one of the drain plugs going into the trunk floor, also on the driver's side, is broken and pull right out of the floor. It looks like the screw hole broke and now won't hold the piece in place.

Oh let's see. What else? Yes, also on the driver's side at some point when the top was put down it grabbed onto the stiff carpet that goes up the inside of the trunk, folded it over, so now it doesn't want to stay flat against the side right behind the driver's seat. Easy enough to fix but :brentil:
By engnieer you mean saturn is sending a lube tech to take a look at it??

·
Registered
450 Posts
I had my Sky 4 days and noticed a tear where the Butress folds - look at your outside edge. I am told this is a desinged stress tear by engineering.

When taking a look this past weekend to see if it's gotten bigger, I lifted the outside rear top corner (when relesed) and the elastic strap that should ahve 'hole' to connect thru now has a tear.

Anyone else?

I have the same problem. A tear past the 'hole' made by the elastic strap. I am going to have the dealership look at it next week.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same issue with the bumpers that push the top down. What you are seeing on the roof is the adhevise from thee bumpers. I brought mine in the other day to have them reattach the bumpers to the trunk lid, but they had to order new ones. I will be interested to see what they will do about the marks from the adhesive.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have the same issue with the bumpers that push the top down. What you are seeing on the roof is the adhevise from thee bumpers. I brought mine in the other day to have them reattach the bumpers to the trunk lid, but they had to order new ones. I will be interested to see what they will do about the marks from the adhesive.
Exactly. I have noticed bottoms of the bumpers had an adhesive on them. I thought some soft protector thing must have fallen off

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Yep...those bumpers slide around...especially in the heat...and leave marks on the tops. I remember SkyBaby's tan top had terrible black marks on it from those bumpers moving around and the adhesive touching the top.

·
Registered
230 Posts
top & bumpers

i just had saturn replace my trunk bumpers due to them falling off.
they replaced them with a newer type and glue, and so far they are rock solid.

be aware the older bumpers can fall off and the adhesive will go on your cars top! i had to have a detailer at saturn remove the goo....

i think the tops are going to be an issue in the next year or so, due to the cheap elastic they used to keep the top in place!!! especially here in the southwest with our year round heat, and being a former Chicago midwest type , i can also imagine the very cold will also deteriorate your tops elastic... we'll see.............. the tops seems not really put together as well as the rest of the car, at least compared to my other roadsters...

good thing they have extended the warranty!

·
Super Moderator
6,570 Posts
Has anyone considered removing the bumpers completely ? I don't really understand their purpose, as the padding under the lid will hold the top down, and the concentrated force from the bumpers to the top can't be as good as the distributed force from the padded lid.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Hmmmm. Interesting point. Maybe I'll take a look at that today. I don't see what purpose they serve since the top stays down by itself and would be held down by the trunk lid anyway.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I know some people leave the top down all the time. And I was told this isn't a good thing to do. You should put the top up at night, I really don't know how true this is. But a thought.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts