Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

can someone please post the schematics for replacing the weather stripping "modules" (there are four pieces, driver side front straight, driver side rear curved for the roof. Repeat for pass side)?

I kinda sort of figured out the front ones, but have no idea how to pull the ones from the curved part of the roof (the rear).

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
If my memory serves me well, there is a metal tab with a mounting screw molded into the leading end of the curved strip. To clarify, it is located where the two rubber strips meet. The screw is vertically positioned, screwed downward. You have to partially open the top, pull the canvas aside, and then you should see the screw head.

Other ends might have similar mounting features, but I am surely uncertain about that.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If my memory serves me well, there is a metal tab with a mounting screw molded into the leading end of the curved strip. To clarify, it is located where the two rubber strips meet. The screw is vertically positioned, screwed downward. You have to partially open the top, pull the canvas aside, and then you should see the screw head.

Other ends might have similar mounting features, but I am surely uncertain about that.
Thanks gramps, appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts

The screw only mounts the wear tab. It is not on all cars and then only holds the tab in place.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Rob,

That is very interesting. I don't see the screw-down tab in the exploded view, hence is not on all Sky tops. Thanks for that information.

I replaced my original 2007 Sky top (a plan-A design) with a nice used second-hand one from HoosierGXP. I think the donor was a 2008 model year. One thing certain, the replacement top is a plan-B design.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
I have looked at a lot of tabs. Some tops done have any tabs, just rubber. Some have no wear tabs but have the metal reinforcing tabs embedded in the rubber. Some of the early tops have no rubber wear strip on the underside of the canvas. Some have the rubber on the canvas but no separate wear tab. When the tabs were first applied, they were metal. I have found them bent upward at a 90 degree angle and acting like a knife. They eventually went to plastic wear tabs that would fail rather than cut when deformed. Those are the version that we had made.

You really need to look at this area on a regular basis, keep it lubricated to avoid excessive wear and make sure if you do have the external wear tab, that it is aligned properly and tight.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Some have no wear tabs but have the metal reinforcing tabs embedded in the rubber.

When the tabs were first applied, they were metal. I have found them bent upward at a 90 degree angle and acting like a knife.
This was my case with the replacement plan-B top, embedded metal tabs bent upward. I bent the tabs back down flat and inspect them often. So far so good, the tabs are staying down and the top continues to operate properly. I am very mindful operating the top, watching out for anomalies.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
You can add the plastic wear tabs over the top if you wish. Just screw them into the metal tabs.

Keeping the area well lubricated also cuts down on the rate of wear

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How much were they????
Part number Unit cost ship tax vendor
19152961$83.00$0.00$6.85scoggin dickeyFront weather strip, convertible top, left
19152962$83.00$0.00$6.85scoggin dickeyFront weather strip, convertible top, right
19210181$59.92$4.50$0.00gmpartsonlinestoreRear weather strip, convertible top, left
19210180$95.88$4.50$0.00gmpartsonlinestoreRear weather strip, convertible top, right

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have looked at a lot of tabs. Some tops done have any tabs, just rubber. Some have no wear tabs but have the metal reinforcing tabs embedded in the rubber. Some of the early tops have no rubber wear strip on the underside of the canvas. Some have the rubber on the canvas but no separate wear tab. When the tabs were first applied, they were metal. I have found them bent upward at a 90 degree angle and acting like a knife. They eventually went to plastic wear tabs that would fail rather than cut when deformed. Those are the version that we had made.

You really need to look at this area on a regular basis, keep it lubricated to avoid excessive wear and make sure if you do have the external wear tab, that it is aligned properly and tight.
I agree with you on all points, its almost as if the production line wasnt consistent on how they put these cars together. I'm gonna tear into the top/weather stripping this weekend.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
I believe that they realized they had an issue with this area and went through a number of running changes which is why we see several different configurations.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts