Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 Sky Redline, 88k miles. Starts right up but is really rough and noisy. I all coilpacks and checked them for continuity and cleaned the plugs - gently! Still noisy and very uneven until somewhat warmed up. As soon as I drive it or rev it up a bit, smoothes right out. Check engine light on and indicates Lean at Idle. Cleaned aftermarket Spectre air filter. ANybody have an idea? I also checked for vacuum leaks. None I can find.

·
Administrator
7,327 Posts
2008 Sky Redline, 88k miles. Starts right up but is really rough and noisy. I all coilpacks and checked them for continuity and cleaned the plugs - gently! Still noisy and very uneven until somewhat warmed up. As soon as I drive it or rev it up a bit, smoothes right out. Check engine light on and indicates Lean at Idle. Cleaned aftermarket Spectre air filter. ANybody have an idea? I also checked for vacuum leaks. None I can find.
What is the code?

Reactions: Robotech

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lean at idle and a rough idle that smooths out with RPM is classic vac leak. What did you do to verify you have no leaks?
Lean at idle and a rough idle that smooths out with RPM is classic vac leak. What did you do to verify you have no leaks?
I popped the engine cover, found every vacuum line I could, inspected each and then, with car running, sprayed starting fluid on all vac hoses and ends. Nothing happened or sped up. I've got a friend with a code reader coming and will post the code. Had it out tonight and, on straight country road, runs up to 100+ just fine. Still have the engine light on though.

·
Registered
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
32 Posts
I've got a 2008 Redline as well with a few thousand less miles but I had a similar issue with starting up, it was almost like the car was coughing until it got warm. I replaced my plugs and after that when it didn't fix I hooked up a code reader to it it gave me like 8 different codes all saying something was wrong with almost all of my sensors. What fixed it was taking out both MAP sensors and using air intake cleaner I sprayed down both sensors and after that it ran perfectly fine. I had to do it a few times after that because it would start up again a week or two later but at this point I've had no issues like that for well over a month 1/2. It's an extremely easy fix and would at least be worth a try. I would show photos of the exact sensors location but I'm at work.

·
Registered
683 Posts
We need the code from the CEL to help you go any further.

Reactions: Robotech

·
Registered
1 Posts
Passing the no vac leak test, I'd be looking at the timing solenoids next. I had a similar problem, from the factory. It ran like crap, especially on a cold start, until the revs and the temp were up, then it smoothed out. It also lagged between 1st and 2nd on a hard acceleration ( pushed to 7k rpms in 1st). Turns out it was the intake variable timing solenoid on '09 turbos, bad from factory.... But, I didn't discover what was needed until after factory warranty was up. Part was about $75, it took 15 minutes to replace, and I changed both intake and exhaust ($90, after market) at the same time. The directions were on the forum. Local repair shop quoted me $500 to do the job, and said all sorts of stuff about there was timing adjustments etc. Which, was not the case once the actual repair was done. So, watch for scams on the cam's...And, even at 100k miles, it really boosted the fun!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got a 2008 Redline as well with a few thousand less miles but I had a similar issue with starting up, it was almost like the car was coughing until it got warm. I replaced my plugs and after that when it didn't fix I hooked up a code reader to it it gave me like 8 different codes all saying something was wrong with almost all of my sensors. What fixed it was taking out both MAP sensors and using air intake cleaner I sprayed down both sensors and after that it ran perfectly fine. I had to do it a few times after that because it would start up again a week or two later but at this point I've had no issues like that for well over a month 1/2. It's an extremely easy fix and would at least be worth a try. I would show photos of the exact sensors location but I'm at work.
Wow, thanks! Could you show me a pic when you get a chance of where those MAP sensors are? Much appreciated.

·
Registered
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
32 Posts
Wow, thanks! Could you show me a pic when you get a chance of where those MAP sensors are? Much appreciated.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

So I circled the two map sensors I cleaned to fix the problem. It's the easiest fix too you just need to take the two screws off of each one, pull it off then using air intake cleaner spray down the sensor. It will evaporate very quickly, the just put it right back in. I'm hoping you've got just a faulty or dirty MAP Sensor, something a lot easier to fix. I also replaced my MAF sensor during that whole process which seemed to also help, and those are about 50$ from rock auto.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts