Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At NASSAM2018, Rob was holding the maintenance check-off items class on Wednesday morning. The discussion point was wheel hub bolts (item 8 in section 3 of the Kappa Maintenance List). A comment was made about using a torque wrench to tighten the three lug nuts on the four hubs, making reference to Harbor Freight (HF) selling torque wrenches cheaply at around $20. The $20 was exactly correct. And for those that are familiar with HF, they constantly have discount coupons on certain items; however, quality wrenches are not chosen items usually.

However, for those of you that insure your Kappas with Hagerty Insurance and are receiving their new magazine subscription, check the last pages of the recent magazine from Hagerty for HF coupons. The photo below is a dial-able torque wrench for $9.99 with coupon. I bought two (2) torque wrenches for $20, for both (have two places, summer and winter). Having an inexpensive torque wrench will probably find me checking those hubs routinely. Last summer I paid my local shop some $40 just to check the SKY’s hub bolts….ease of mind expense, LOL.

Another major alert from the mntc class was treating all the rubber gaskets on the doors, top, trunk, etc. with di-electric grease. An absolute must-do on our cars if you want them to seal, etc. and do their job. Plus you will play hell, for the most part, finding and purchasing new rubber gaskets/seals even today.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
I had that very torque wrench. It was used intermittently for about a year before it failed and was thrown away.

Caveat emptor.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had that very torque wrench. It was used intermittently for about a year before it failed and was thrown away.

Caveat emptor.
Maybe I'm lucky to have gotten two units for the full price of one. Looks like I'm only good for two years. Actually, I'm going to bet you just had bad luck. Rob will probably tell us his unit has lasted for years. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
LOL
I have torque wrenches. Everything from inch ounces to a 300 ft pound big boy. I tend to buy the best I can afford so they will last and return accuracy. But any torque wrench is better than none. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
Surprisingly good results from the HF torque wrench.

I hope everyone pays attention to the advice at the end of the article to reduce the setting on your wrench to the minimum after every use. The best way to turn a very nice torque wrench into an over-weight ratchet is to leave it set above the minimum.

·
Super Moderator
11,223 Posts
I had a Harbor Freight Torque Wrench last for about 12 years. Picked up a new one from them when it went. Can't be happier.

I don't know if it was covered by Rob at nationals, but I HIGHLY suggest if you run sticky tires AND drive somewhat aggressively on technical roads...or autocross/track your Kappa...to apply a small amount of blue (non-permanent) thread lock to those hub bolts. For whatever reason, GM didn't call for any thread lock on these bolts but the problem doesn't seem to present itself unless you have some fairly good tires and push the car fairly regularly.

I had my first car for a year and my current Sky for about 2 years without a problem. I even autocrossed it for a season without issue on inexpensive all season radial tires. However, when I switched over to some good extreme summer tires (Bridgestone Potenza RE-71Rs), drove one or two twisty roads, and did one autocross session on them, I was stunned to find my left front hub had one slightly loose bolt, one bolt backed half way out, and the third bolt totally missing.

After getting a new bolt for the missing bolt, all the hubs had each of these bolts removed one at a time (to maintain hub position...not critical but it calmed my OCD), cleaned the bolts and the holes with brake cleaner, let it dry, then applied blue thread lock, reinstalled the bolt, and torqued to spec. I have had no issues since and when I went to replace a couple hubs all the bolts were secure but came out with minimal fuss.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
After getting a new bolt for the missing bolt, all the hubs had each of these bolts removed one at a time (to maintain hub position...not critical but it calmed my OCD), cleaned the bolts and the holes with brake cleaner, let it dry, then applied blue thread lock, reinstalled the bolt, and torqued to spec. I have had no issues since and when I went to replace a couple hubs all the bolts were secure but came out with minimal fuss.
Thanks for the tip on the blue threadlock. Do you happen to know the torque spec?

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the blue threadlock. I'm going to do this check/tighten when I have it up for the cat and exhaust. Do you happen to know the torque spec?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts