Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

So my next round of mods is done. I installed the RPM Motorsports Big Shot (really should call it the Hammerhead...LOL) intake. My Old intake I've had on the car for years, ever since I first put on the turbo. It worked, looked okay, but kind of just flopped around and was rubbing a bit on the hood. I also had a catch can that didn't seem to be catching much. You can see the catch can and intake on the right side of this picture.

RPM then came out with their dual cone intake. It was much like the old Fujita intake for our cars and I loved it. I decided to pick one up but quickly realized that it mounted where my catch can was and I'd need to relocate that. It wasn't long after that RPM also came out with a new catch can. It mounted to the front of the valve cover and would be perfect. So I called up Martin Scott at RPM and discussed my needs. I needed the 2.0 style intake since I had a Red Line style turbo kit on the car. This was a primary reason I decided to go this route way back when...I have a lot of options for parts since most of the Red Line turbo parts work on this setup. However, I needed some changes. One, I didn't need a MAF bung like the 2.0 intake as my MAF is over in the cold side pipe. Second, the breather nipple would need to be placed in a way that it would work with their catch can. Oh, and wanted it in orange...of course.

Got it and oh it looks good. I did have to make a couple changes. First was the coupler. RPM sent a 2.25" to 3" coupler. Well this worked fine on the K04 turbo (though was a very tight fit) but the PAW WR4 turbo has a slightly larger inlet so I had to get a 2.5" to 3". Still a nice snug fit. It was my fault for not remembering this before. Second was the line from the catch can to the intake. It had a 90 degree fitting on one side and a straight fitting on the other. A quick connect adaptor was on the intake where the Red Line's breather line would hook up. Well the 90 had to go there as it would barely clear the turbo outlet. Then the line would have to snake up and around to come in to the catch can at the right angle for the straight fitting to work.

Here you can see how I had to route it.

I wanted something cleaner so I measured how long it needed to be for a straight shot, took it to a local shop (where I also found and bought a periscope for an M48 tank and a polished aluminum propeller blade), had them cut it and put a second 90 degree fitting on it. $13 and it was done. Here it is with the modified line.

After that everything came together well. Haven't got to drive it yet (watch the video as to why) but will get some good videos of it this week driving.

Performance wise I doubt there will be a change. I am hoping the sound will be the same because it was pretty cool before but again I think it will be fine. The catch can is a real nice unit. It has a specific inlet and 2 outlets (I'm only using 1) and they use different size AN fittings so you can't reverse them. Internally it is baffled and came with a good deal of filter media to grab the oil out of the air as it passes through the can. Finally there is a drain on the bottom with an easy to reach ball valve. It is a beautiful little design.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am hoping the sound will be the same because it was pretty cool before but again I think it will be fine.
How does it sound? I canceled my CAI from DDM to get one of these, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I was hoping to hear how you like it first.

·
Super Moderator
11,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well...I was going to record that this week and...

I will say the car ran better with it and the sound was really pronounced. The 50/50 valve was louder as was air flow noise. I love it...and will get a video once I get my intercooler back from Bill Hahn...and yes, he feels he can fix this. LOL

·
Super Moderator
11,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Suffice to say short version is I went down a street at about 30 only to find it was more of an asphalt driveway with a big drainage ditch dip right before it that looked far shallower than it was. Bill Hahn (Its a Hahn intercooler) is going to take care of it for me and Martin Scott at RPM is helping me with some OEM intercooler parts (you really don't want to see the brackets...).

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Suffice to say short version is I went down a street at about 30 only to find it was more of an asphalt driveway with a big drainage ditch dip right before it that looked far shallower than it was. Bill Hahn (Its a Hahn intercooler) is going to take care of it for me and Martin Scott at RPM is helping me with some OEM intercooler parts (you really don't want to see the brackets...).
Greetings Robotech
How does Hahn's BIG intercooler fit? Need to make any mods? Does it hang low? Interference with air flow to coolant radiator or front end cover? Performance? ETC?

·
Super Moderator
11,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Greetings Robotech
How does Hahn's BIG intercooler fit? Need to make any mods? Does it hang low? Interference with air flow to coolant radiator or front end cover? Performance? ETC?
You have to cut some of the duct work that sits between the intercooler and radiator to make it fit. That's it. Everything else clears well. I love it's performance and it got intake air temps (which in the 2.4 are only read in the cold side pipe) are within 2-3 degrees of ambient even in hot weather and when it gets heat soaked from sitting in traffic, it cools down pretty quick once moving. I love it and hence why I'm repairing this rather than replacing it.

·
Super Moderator
11,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Greetings again Robotech
I was looking at your photos above...is that the stock radiator? IF not who's and what size?
joew2109
It is not stock (not much in my engine bay is...) and it is a Performance Auto Werks dual pass radiator. Can't remember the size but it is much thicker than stock and the fan shroud needs to be trimmed about a 1/2".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts