Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've owned my 2008 Saturn Sky new from the dealer.. and it's finally time for upgrades! Currently I have appointments to get the windshield replaced (so many dings), to get leather repaired, body work (front bumper, quarter panels, and some random dings and sratches). I also have some big brakes, rotors, painted calipers, and shocks either in my garage or on their way..

Now I'm getting ready to order the performance parts and I just want to make sure I'm ordering everything so I don't get a call from the shop telling me I'm missing something and put a hold on the project. This car is just for fun, not a track car, so I didn't grab every upgrade available as I assumed I wouldn't need some but I'd be interested to hear why I do/don't need any parts. So, here is my list:

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
6,566 Posts
I do not see the DDM ProBeam on any of your lists. I recommend it as a significant handling improvement,

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
You don't need the radiator at all unless you're doing road racing, i'd rather go for a 3" exhaust. The sensor upgrade has to be adjusted for in the tune, make sure you tell rpm that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You don't need the radiator at all unless you're doing road racing, i'd rather go for a 3" exhaust. The sensor upgrade has to be adjusted for in the tune, make sure you tell rpm that.
Do I need the sensor upgrade? I actually couldn't figure that out..

·
Super Moderator
6,566 Posts
Do I need the sensor upgrade? I actually couldn't figure that out..
It certainly isn't required, as many people have done the tune without it. With the stock sensors you go "off scale" at maximum boost, so it is theoretically better to go with the higher pressure sensors as they give you more accurate pressure readings at high boost.

·
Super Moderator
11,488 Posts
I second the Pro Beam. Definitely a good thing.

I will also add Hawk or other high performance brake pads. Our OEM pads suck. I almost went off the side of a mountain due to brake fade.

I disagree about the radiator IF you live where it gets real hot in summer. We had 15 Kappas (Skys and Solstices are Kappas) on a run in 90 degree weather and after a 8 mile sprint up a steep grade every car...Sky, Solstice, Turbo, or NA, it didn't matter...was over 230 degrees. I got one...80-90s out this week and she has stayed at 190 or less. Even in traffic...even with a spirited mountain drive.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I will also add Hawk or other high performance brake pads. Our OEM pads suck. I almost went off the side of a mountain due to brake fade.

I disagree about the radiator IF you live where it gets real hot in summer. We had 15 Kappas (Skys and Solstices are Kappas) on a run in 90 degree weather and after a 8 mile sprint up a steep grade every car...Sky, Solstice, Turbo, or NA, it didn't matter...was over 230 degrees. I got one...80-90s out this week and she has stayed at 190 or less. Even in traffic...even with a spirited mountain drive.
Brakes were the first thing I ordered.. just waiting for those to arrive.

I live in PA, so the summers are pretty hot.. I had some overheating issues a few years ago after routine maintenance at the dealership, they said this were air bubbles in my coolant lines. I kept overheating, but only in traffic never when moving. Two visits later and all seems to be good for the last few years. Otherwise I normally hold at 210 all of the time.

·
Premium Member
656 Posts

I am worried about how mine will do here in Arizona. It's been mid 90s all week. Will get up to 120... 😐

·
Super Moderator
11,488 Posts
I am worried about how mine will do here in Arizona. It's been mid 90s all week. Will get up to 120... 😐
I'd go over to RPM in Mesa and get one of their radiators if it were me. We gert up to 116 where I'm at and I can't wait to see how it does this summer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd go over to RPM in Mesa and get one of their radiators if it were me. We gert up to 116 where I'm at and I can't wait to see how it does this summer.
I had that on my list originally, can't decide if it's worth it or not. A road trip from VA Beach to PA can easily be a 90-100 degree day.. 5 hours of highway traffic. I'm not taking the car to tracks or anything, just driving around for fun. Is the upgraded radiator worth it for me?

·
Super Moderator
11,488 Posts
I had that on my list originally, can't decide if it's worth it or not. A road trip from VA Beach to PA can easily be a 90-100 degree day.. 5 hours of highway traffic. I'm not taking the car to tracks or anything, just driving around for fun. Is the upgraded radiator worth it for me?
Freeway speeds aren't usually an issue. You are moving at a high rate of speed, a consistent speed, and low RPM. You have little load on the engine and plenty of air moving through the radiator. (Now drive up the grade on the 15 in CA heading towards Vegas just outside Baker...which is just outside Death Valley where 120+ temps are common...and you may have overheating issues. It is known to be used by automakers to stress test their cooling systems.)

Go out on a 100 degree day and drive in stop and go traffic. If the temps come up to and stay above 235, I would say an upgraded radiator would help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts