Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife is in the East Coast on business for the week, so I get the Sky all to myself till Saturday. Originally, she bought the car for me as a birthday present, because I have had convertibles all my life, and I needed a new one. But, the problem is that she fell in love with the car.

So, we are trying to figure out ground rules for sharing the car. Here is what we have worked out so far.
  1. If one of us is taking someone else to lunch, that person gets the car (seems she goes to lunch every day now).
  2. No one gets to do any more mods without prior approval (not financial approval, cosmetic and technical approval).
  3. In the event that the driver gets a sudden urge to spin out, the passenger must be warned (an evil grin will do).
  4. If we are together, the one with the longest hair gets to decide if the top is up or down (hint: I am bald).
  5. Whoever has the longest arms has to raise and lower the top (hint: they used to call me "monkey arms").
  6. When we go away for the weekend, if I can't fit all her stuff in the trunk, I have to hold what's left on my lap.

The most difficult part of the discussion is veto power over aftermarket upgrades. If she had her way, there would be a Mallet V8 in this thing. As for me, I just like having a top that folds down. I'd rather spend my money on a dual core pentium than a dual exhaust system. She wants this car to look more like a Viper and sound more like a Harley. I want a 1.5 terabyte media server in my living room.

I was planning a trip to Las Vegas soon, so I decided to go during SEMA (the automotive aftermarket convention). Now my wife says she wants to go. I am interested in automotive intelligence, telematics, etc. She wants to come home with upgrades that will allow her to take her girlfriends to lunch, and push them deep into their seats as she launches from the stop light.

So, is there hope for us? Has Saturn forever damaged my perfect marriage, where she does her thing and I do mine? In our car club, we have two families where the husband and wife both have Solstices, but that seems a bit extreme. One husband/wife team has both a base model and a brand new turbo. I really can't imagine going there, mostly because we don't have room for the extra car, so I think we are going to have to work this out.

Are we headed for a train wreck? Are there are any Ann Landers or Dear Abbys out there with words of wisdom?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Oh, good luck on this one. My hubby and I now have three cars...the fourth will be my Sky. We have the easy-parker, the muscle wagon, and his Hemi already. And, of course, the 18-wheeler.

Hubby had threatened to buy a Sky for himself if I didn't hurry up and order one, so in order to get 'the perks' that I enjoy (manual trans, spoiler, 6-CD changer), I signed the papers.

We spent quite a while, yesterday, discussing the possible need for a 5th car. In a very happy 30 year relationship, these are the things that get us by. Anne and Abby would probably agree! Accept who you are, and buy more vehicles!

Two years ago, we finally built a 3-car garage. Now, we're again finding ourselves overflowing the side yard.:)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
One rule

It is simpler at our house:

RULES

1). Don't teach wife how to drive manual

:thumbs:

·
First Picture of Production Red Line
164 Posts
My wife is in the East Coast on business for the week, so I get the Sky all to myself till Saturday. Originally, she bought the car for me as a birthday present, because I have had convertibles all my life, and I needed a new one. But, the problem is that she fell in love with the car.

So, we are trying to figure out ground rules for sharing the car. Here is what we have worked out so far.
  1. If one of us is taking someone else to lunch, that person gets the car (seems she goes to lunch every day now).
  2. No one gets to do any more mods without prior approval (not financial approval, cosmetic and technical approval).
  3. In the event that the driver gets a sudden urge to spin out, the passenger must be warned (an evil grin will do).
  4. If we are together, the one with the longest hair gets to decide if the top is up or down (hint: I am bald).
  5. Whoever has the longest arms has to raise and lower the top (hint: they used to call me "monkey arms").
  6. When we go away for the weekend, if I can't fit all her stuff in the trunk, I have to hold what's left on my lap.

The most difficult part of the discussion is veto power over aftermarket upgrades. If she had her way, there would be a Mallet V8 in this thing. As for me, I just like having a top that folds down. I'd rather spend my money on a dual core pentium than a dual exhaust system. She wants this car to look more like a Viper and sound more like a Harley. I want a 1.5 terabyte media server in my living room.

I was planning a trip to Las Vegas soon, so I decided to go during SEMA (the automotive aftermarket convention). Now my wife says she wants to go. I am interested in automotive intelligence, telematics, etc. She wants to come home with upgrades that will allow her to take her girlfriends to lunch, and push them deep into their seats as she launches from the stop light.

So, is there hope for us? Has Saturn forever damaged my perfect marriage, where she does her thing and I do mine? In our car club, we have two families where the husband and wife both have Solstices, but that seems a bit extreme. One husband/wife team has both a base model and a brand new turbo. I really can't imagine going there, mostly because we don't have room for the extra car, so I think we are going to have to work this out.

Are we headed for a train wreck? Are there are any Ann Landers or Dear Abbys out there with words of wisdom?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You guys are TOOOO CUTE!!! I promise you'll work it out!:D P.S. I'm going to print this out for my DH:lol:

·
Registered
145 Posts
My wife loves the Sky as well but has already told me that she will never driive it when it comes. So I get it all to myself. :thumbs:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yeah Right!!

My wife loves the Sky as well but has already told me that she will never driive it when it comes. So I get it all to myself. :thumbs:
:lol: :lol: Yeah Right!! As if that will really happen. Once she sees it up front and personal, she is going to want to try it out "just once." And it will be all over for you. Good luck, but expect the worst!!
Theresa

·
Registered
197 Posts
You forgot some-n!

GEEKS RULE!:cheers:

·
Registered
145 Posts
My wife always comes up with a reason not to drive my cars. She has never driven my Montero, only takes my explorer to the corner service station when work needs to be done and has never driven any of my prior cars. I made her sit in the Sky and told her when we get it we'll share it but she's adamant about not wanting to drive it. Says she can't see over the dash even though she's like 5'5". Think maybe it's because I'm a fanatic about my autos and she's afraid I'll blow a gasket if something happens to it?

131 Posts
My wife hates to take off fast and hates it even more when I go over 70 MPH.:willy: That's why I bought the Redline. :devil: I don't have to worry about her driving it. She drove my Jag once and hated it so I know she won't like the Sky. :lol: Is she just fooling me?:confused:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Be a Man

common Rich...use my rules

I make all the BIG decisions...
My wife makes all the little decisions..
She decides which are which..

Married since disco was king....:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
His and Hers

:cheers:
Hubby gets his 06 corvette back, once I get my Sky!
When we were buying the corvette it was his dream, coupe and I agreed knowing that someday I would find a less expensive convertible that was a cool as the American Dream Sports Car "Corvette" I really don’t need all that power, its nice but honestly I have never hit even 90mph and its cool to throw your rider back in the seat while accelerating.
I drive the corvette now and he will drive my Sky I can share its not a problem, but once we both have our dream cars, heck why would I want to drive that coupe corvette when I have a Red Line Sky convertible to drive! The Red Line will throw my passenger back in the seat!
:thumbs:

TulsaSky
:jester:

·
Registered
411 Posts

Waht About, Dear Slade?

My only wisdom is "Life is Like a Box o' Chocolates" Yuh never know what yoo gonna get. :confused: :confused:

You know what? Im NO Help
I don't know what the heck that has to do with this post,... I Regress..:banghead:

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
That's not the first nor will it be the last time a woman lies to a man.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
common Rich...use my rules
I make all the BIG decisions...
My wife makes all the little decisions..
She decides which are which..
Married since disco was king....:thumbs:
According to your rules, you guys are going to have to buy a THIRD Solstice, because she is going to get tired of sharing hers with your son, but that's a whole 'nother thread, about "rules and best practices for lending your Sky to your teenage son."

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
According to your rules, you guys are going to have to buy a THIRD Solstice, because she is going to get tired of sharing hers with your son, but that's a whole 'nother thread, about "rules and best practices for lending your Sky to your teenage son."
Junior got a 1975 VW Super Beetle with a stick a couple months ago, and I gave him the quick first lesson and cut him loose. He's been bopping around in it and getting better. I let him drive the SKY for the first time with me as co-pilot, and while his bug allows you to release the clutch without applying the gas first, the SKY is very unforgiving in that regard. We had a pretty rough ride with a lot of stuttering, and also issues in relation to the general responsiveness of the SKY. Tighter steering, brakes that will stop the car on a dime, and an accelerator that accelerates the car significantly when you floor it.

After giving him a careful driving demonstration in my SKY, then showing him how the same techniques could be employed while driving his bug, his driving improved considerably.

Then, last weekend, I was in Chicago. I get a call... "Dad? The accelerator cable on my bug sheared off - I can't go above an idle. I got the car off the road, and I walked home... But I don't know how I am going to get to work tomorrow. I noticed that you left the SKY keys on your desk..."

What would you do?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Then, last weekend, I was in Chicago. I get a call... "Dad? The accelerator cable on my bug sheared off - I can't go above an idle. I got the car off the road, and I walked home... But I don't know how I am going to get to work tomorrow. I noticed that you left the SKY keys on your desk..."

What would you do?

Call Hertz or Avis

·
Registered
421 Posts
Yea, first I felt Guilty...not any more!

Afterall I had this beautiful new creation, just sitting all clean and freshly polished sitting in the driveway the first weekend.

As we went out for our first drive...I offered: "Would you like to drive?"

She responds "Sure." Gets in and asks: "Where's the seat adjuster?"

That was the first and last time my Wife ever drove my Sky!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Don't Do It!!!

Junior got a 1975 VW Super Beetle with a stick a couple months ago, and I gave him the quick first lesson and cut him loose. He's been bopping around in it and getting better. I let him drive the SKY for the first time with me as co-pilot, and while his bug allows you to release the clutch without applying the gas first, the SKY is very unforgiving in that regard. We had a pretty rough ride with a lot of stuttering, and also issues in relation to the general responsiveness of the SKY. Tighter steering, brakes that will stop the car on a dime, and an accelerator that accelerates the car significantly when you floor it.

After giving him a careful driving demonstration in my SKY, then showing him how the same techniques could be employed while driving his bug, his driving improved considerably.

What would you do?
I'd call his MOM and demand she lock up the keys!! Drive him to work, call a cab, check the bus lines, ask how far to walk? Anything but not the Sky keys. Been there done that (with my MR2), you will never forgive yourself. :banghead:
Theresa

1 - 20 of 25 Posts