Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: is there any word on the availability of runflat tires for the Sky? I would like to know whats out there re this, as with no spare...it would be a bummer to be dependant on onstar or my cell to get towed or patched in certain situations.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
chris67 said:
:confused: is there any word on the availability of runflat tires for the Sky? I would like to know whats out there re this, as with no spare...it would be a bummer to be dependant on onstar or my cell to get towed or patched in certain situations.
there is no factory option, but you can go to several tire manufacturer sights and see if anyone makes them in that size, but you also need to have a low pressure warning system installed at the same time... that is the law when using run flat tires,

PS, when was the last time you had a flat that was not a slow leak that you could get to a tire store before it tore up the tire or wheel? it has been many years for me...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Be careful what you wish for

chris67 said:
I posted in the past regarding run flats. Besides needing the warning system, they are expensive $350, to $400 to replace and cannot be repaired, even a simple nail. Also, they ride hard. I'll stick with the repair kit!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanx

skyfan said:
I posted in the past regarding run flats. Besides needing the warning system, they are expensive $350, to $400 to replace and cannot be repaired, even a simple nail. Also, they ride hard. I'll stick with the repair kit!
Thanx for the feedback ... no runflats for me:cool:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Lifetime of pressure sensors

skyfan said:
Besides the costs for the first installation and the higher price for the tyres, you have to consider the lifetime of the sensors. The sensors have "welded-in-batteries" for sending the wireless pressure signal to the control unit.
I just read an article in a german automobil paper about the lifetime of those sensors: In different cars it was between 7 and 10 years.
If the first battery is worn out, you have to change all sensors inclusive dismounting and reassembling the tyres.:banghead:

The cost for one sensor was in a range between 50 and 200 €. (Add 25% for US $).

- BMW 3 series > 69 €
- Porsche Cayenne > 120 €
- Opel Vectra > 128 €
- Lexus SC 430 > 200 €

Not to forget the costs of tyre assembling.

And a question for the older drivers: How many flats (only those you couldn't drive on a short way to next gas station or other help) did you really have in your whole driving time?

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
skyfan said:
Umm actually the exact same stock RS-A tires as runflats cost exactly the same as the normal RS-A tires. That's about $200. Depending on the type of runflat I believe you can repair them. Some just have extra strong sidewalls, some have an inner core, etc. The do create a harsher ride as mentioned.

Personally I feel just fine with the inflator kit in the trunk.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Just purchase you some high end self-sealing touring tires. STAY away from run-flats - they make everything drive like a log truck!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts