BLK/RED TRIM

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Had my dealer do mine. But adding 3M clear bra from NO CHIP

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
There is rust proofing on the car already, put on at the factory. Waste of money as for as I'm concern. But the dealers love you to put it on, simonizing the car also, they love it. Waste of money.

·
Registered
422 Posts
deluke said:
There is rust proofing on the car already, put on at the factory. Waste of money as for as I'm concern. But the dealers love you to put it on, simonizing the car also, they love it. Waste of money.
That's a question of understanding in rustproofing.
As I can see from the pics of the underbody, all the sheet material is painted. The areas where the sheet is doubled, the welding seams are sealed very well. If you only drive in dry area or in summer, this could be enough.
If also driving in winter with snow and salt, a bit more should be better.

I for myself (all day, all year driver) prefer a none hardening underbody wax. I controll once a year when changing to winter wheels and repair if necessary.

The other thing in rustproofing are the hollow spaces, thats even more important then the flat underbody. For judging the quality of corrosion protect in the hollow spaces you have to look in with an endoskope and put in corrosion inhibitor if necessary. Go to a profi in rustproofing and he can show you, then you can make your own dicision.

And how long will you hold your car? If selling after some years it may be wasted money.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
C20LET_50 said:
That's a question of understanding in rustproofing.
As I can see from the pics of the underbody, all the sheet material is painted. The areas where the sheet is doubled, the welding seams are sealed very well. If you only drive in dry area or in summer, this could be enough.
If also driving in winter with snow and salt, a bit more should be better.

I for myself (all day, all year driver) prefer a none hardening underbody wax. I controll once a year when changing to winter wheels and repair if necessary.

The other thing in rustproofing are the hollow spaces, thats even more important then the flat underbody. For judging the quality of corrosion protect in the hollow spaces you have to look in with an endoskope and put in corrosion inhibitor if necessary. Go to a profi in rustproofing and he can show you, then you can make your own dicision.

And how long will you hold your car? If selling after some years it may be wasted money.

Not holding it very long at all, I'll be pre-trading my Solstice for the GXP that I have on order, priorty #1.

( Now that my source told me the unofficial start of production for the GXP'S)

Dealer will give me what I paid with all the add on's minus the sales tax( 950.00 Sales tax because of a car I traded ) which will give me 26033.00, I added alot of options and put the tonneau cover on, splash guards, cat back muffler. The offer is good for 10 day's. So I'm going for it because when the 2007 hit the streets the value will probably go down quite a bit. I'll be getting ride of it this week.

As far as rust proofing I got it on one car and when it did rust they said it wasn't covered because of some BS. I don't drive my toy car's in the winter I garage them, so there is no salt on the roads for my Solstice or Monte Carlo. (I garage my Monte Carlo also ).

But you have some dealers on the site, see what they say, but any dealer that I know that are friend's of mine , say no rustproofing and no simonize, waste of money.

But do what you want, if you think it a good deal, it's your car and your money.

·
Registered
115 Posts
deluke said:
I agree. I think many dealers will try and throw the old "you need undercoating and rustproofing" routine on you, just to see if you'll bite. At my dealership, when they only had the Sky demo, and mine was still being built, they tried to sell me on getting the undercoat done. But I had already read that an undercoat is done at the factory. So caveat emptor --buyer beware. You don't need it. So don't get suckered into getting it...............:cool:

·
Registered
517 Posts
deluke said:
maybe not a waste of money for MRSVIPER, michigan. been there, done that.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
MRSVIPER said:
This is a two part question:
Are we rustproofing our sky?
And who is doing it?
dealership, or out source?

MRSVIPER
STILL WAITING
BLK/RED TRIM
don;t do it, it voids the factory rust through warrenty, and who knows how long the people they have rust proof it will be in business....
not worth the money...

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HotSky said:
maybe not a waste of money for MRSVIPER, michigan. been there, done that.
Well, I do plan on driving my sky 12 months, unless there's a bad winter, then I'll drive the family's Dodge Dakota:)

hummmmmm....the winters could be brutal, but the salt is just as bad....:confused:
not sure yet!

Mrsviper
still waiting
blk/red trim

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Chicago here -- No rust proofing -- tried it a couple of times -- never changed rusting a bit and trying to collect or get repairs? Impossible.
Simple -- Salt goes down -- Sunni goes in the garage....

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
MRSVIPER said:
Well, I do plan on driving my sky 12 months, unless there's a bad winter, then I'll drive the family's Dodge Dakota:)

hummmmmm....the winters could be brutal, but the salt is just as bad....:confused:
not sure yet!

Mrsviper
still waiting
blk/red trim
If it is applied incorrectly it can trap water and salt and cause the car to rust out sooner than it would otherwise... the metal used today is much better since about 1995, not many cars unless they have been damaged in a wreck will rust out in 10 years...

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SkyMan 07 said:
If it is applied incorrectly it can trap water and salt and cause the car to rust out sooner than it would otherwise... the metal used today is much better since about 1995, not many cars unless they have been damaged in a wreck will rust out in 10 years...
Thanks evryone I think I'll decline to do it. Besides now my husband wants me to keep it stored winters. He said he will put his car(96viper coupe) on the hoist and my "sky" will be on the bottom, so at least If....A BIG IF it is a nice day in November:lol: ....I take it out!
Mrsviper
still waiting
blk/red trim

·
Registered
540 Posts
:jester: ahh heck just move South, only snowed for 1 day here this year. :cheers: No salt to worry about. I can teach you "Hillbilly":eek: language and your Viper will have several friends in my wee little hillbilly town. (Seems that when a hillbilly wins the lottery they buy a Viper ????:D Plus we have a LOT of retirees from the north where I live:crazy: ). Those of us who havent won the lottery wait on the more affordable Sky. Ummm, except for the new American Idol southerner-guess he is driving:driving: a Mustang GT

sorry, havent had my full dose of Lithium today:willy:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ineedmorebotox said:
:jester: ahh heck just move South, only snowed for 1 day here this year. :cheers: No salt to worry about. I can teach you "Hillbilly":eek: language and your Viper will have several friends in my wee little hillbilly town. (Seems that when a hillbilly wins the lottery they buy a Viper ????:D Plus we have a LOT of retirees from the north where I live:crazy: ). Those of us who havent won the lottery wait on the more affordable Sky. Ummm, except for the new American Idol southerner-guess he is driving:driving: a Mustang GT

sorry, havent had my full dose of Lithium today:willy:
God willing, "Heck yea I moving down to the Sunshine State I like Anna Marie Island area!!:thumbs: , but I still have teenagers at home, college, drama.....:willy:

mrsviper
still waiting :rolleyes:
blk/red trim

·
Registered
319 Posts
I am in Michigan, and I agree with your husband. This is a car to store in the winter. Keep it clean, drive it in fair weather, and never on salty, wet roads, and you have nothing ot worry about.

I did not get the rustproofing or any add-ons on mine. Not needed and, as has been pointed out, may even void the warrranty.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts