Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've loved the concept of the sky ever since they came out with the concept a few years back, and I would LOVE to be one of the lucky ones who gets the chance to own one, however, I know it's rear-wheel drive, and I come from MN (aka one of the "winter states"). Would this be a major problem, or? I heard RWD in the snow can be dangerous. Ugh... I want a Sky so bad, but I don't want to end up wrapped around a tree or in a ditch somewhere, ya know? Any thoughts on this, or at least some ideas on how to make it less dangerous?

:willy: :confused:

·
Registered
623 Posts
soulbluprint said:
So I've loved the concept of the sky ever since they came out with the concept a few years back, and I would LOVE to be one of the lucky ones who gets the chance to own one, however, I know it's rear-wheel drive, and I come from MN (aka one of the "winter states"). Would this be a major problem, or? I heard RWD in the snow can be dangerous. Ugh... I want a Sky so bad, but I don't want to end up wrapped around a tree or in a ditch somewhere, ya know? Any thoughts on this, or at least some ideas on how to make it less dangerous?

:willy: :confused:
If you get a RWD car in a "Winter State" you better get ABS and the Limited Slip Diff, to provide you with some traction on the snow, and slightly better traction on the Ice. I plan on getting the Sky and using it as my daily driver for 3 years, so I have to last 3 winters, after that I am going to delegate it to summer only!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Personally, having lived in upstate New York and Germany a roadster is not a practical car to drive in the winter months. If you buy one, keep it in the garage during the winter. Driving a ragtop with no thermal liner below 20 degrees is not my idea of fun.

But, this car is design as a second affordable fun car. Consider this as a fair weather vehicle that you take out for enjoyment only. Having said that, and now living in North Carolina my enjoy months are just over 9 now!

·
Registered
432 Posts
if you havent driven a RWD car in the winter before, this may not be the one you want to practice on. it can be done, but you have to know what you are doing and be comfortable with it. you and i both know that winter driving is very unpredictable.

·
Registered
623 Posts
swatthefly said:
if you havent driven a RWD car in the winter before, this may not be the one you want to practice on. it can be done, but you have to know what you are doing and be comfortable with it. you and i both know that winter driving is very unpredictable.
Let's see this is going to be my 1st Manual, 1st RWD car, 1st Convertable, and I am going to get it 3 months before a winter (September '06)..... I hope I am a fast learner.....

I should also mention that here in the Detroit Area you see TONS of RWD and Convertable cars on the road in the winter. People just don't care.

·
Registered
432 Posts
DuSpinnst said:
Let's see this is going to be my 1st Manual, 1st RWD car, 1st Convertable, and I am going to get it 3 months before a winter (September '06)..... I hope I am a fast learner.....

I should also mention that here in the Detroit Area you see TONS of RWD and Convertable cars on the road in the winter. People just don't care.
first manual too? be careful buddy!

if you know what you are doing, you will be just fine, so just keep practicing!

·
Registered
623 Posts
swatthefly said:
first manual too? be careful buddy!

if you know what you are doing, you will be just fine, so just keep practicing!
I had some practice, when my cousin threw me in his Audi and tossed me on the Autobahn.... That was fun, I decided my next car would be a manual at that time!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I also live in a 'winter state'. All the vehicles I have owned in over 30 years are RWD. I like them. For the winter I just put a little additional weight in the truck (120Lbs of water softener salt or sand) in each of our cars and my wife and I get along just fine. Personally, I like the idea of being able to 'steer' with the front wheels and, when the need arises, with rear wheels by as well by controlled use of the throttle. I think the drawback with the SKY will be the low ground clearance, the wider tires and whether the top is insulated. The 50/50 weight distribution should be an advantage of typical RWD vehicles. I've lived for years in the Detroit area, I would say if you get more than a few inches of snow, leave the SKY in the garage. I plan to keep my old 94 'Burban for winter use and the SKY for the other 3 seasons. Just my opinions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have to agree with Mark. FWD/RWD both offer advantages and disadvantages in low traction conditions. I prefer RWD over FWD. Having driven in winter states for 34 years, I find it interesting that so many people have been indoctrinated to believe that FWD is so superior and that RWD is outright dangerous.

Just how do you think we got around before FWD became wide spread in the 1980s?

·
Registered
623 Posts
DCaley said:
I have to agree with Mark. FWD/RWD both offer advantages and disadvantages in low traction conditions. I prefer RWD over FWD. Having driven in winter states for 34 years, I find it interesting that so many people have been indoctrinated to believe that FWD is so superior and that RWD is outright dangerous.

Just how do you think we got around before FWD became wide spread in the 1980s?
The common perception among people is magic :)

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Thank god for living in Florida is all I have to say. Means I can eventually dith those All Season tires for Summer Only ones to use year round. :D

·
Registered
554 Posts
brentil said:
Thank god for living in Florida is all I have to say. Means I can eventually dith those All Season tires for Summer Only ones to use year round. :D

Yeah, but those flood waters can be a real bitch!

·
Registered
623 Posts
theirishgonzo said:
i will have to say if the roads are not clear i will be parking the sky. i have drove my dads awd twin turbo stealth in snow and it is all over the place but you can stear in to the slide and drive strait at least sideways.
Yea, I think sometimes I am going to be borrowing my Mom's Alero (yea I am cheap and still live at home after having my undergraduate degree) and park the Sky on the REALLY bad days in the Winter. You know the days that the salt trucks have not been out on!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hopefully I won't have to worry about it. I currently live in Pittsburgh, PA but by the time I get my Sky I plan to be back in south Florida. Or at least by winter '06.

As for the Sky being an affordable second car...that depends on your income. For me it will be an expensive only car. For those living in winter states, I say go buy a $500 beater you can drive around in the winter and not care what happens to it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wheee

KhakiBoy said:
Hopefully I won't have to worry about it. I currently live in Pittsburgh, PA but by the time I get my Sky I plan to be back in south Florida. Or at least by winter '06.

As for the Sky being an affordable second car...that depends on your income. For me it will be an expensive only car. For those living in winter states, I say go buy a $500 beater you can drive around in the winter and not care what happens to it.
I agree... The Sky will be my only car when I get it, and I don't really consider $25k really cheap either, so it's not like everyone can get a second car for the winter...Ugh. Wish I could. I think I'm just going to put on really great snow tires, load up the back with kittylitter, pack a shovel, and hope for the best. I live on a hill too -- a hill that's hard enough to get up with my FWD ION as it is now -- so that'll be great fun I can imagine.

·
Registered
623 Posts
soulbluprint said:
I agree... The Sky will be my only car when I get it, and I don't really consider $25k really cheap either, so it's not like everyone can get a second car for the winter...Ugh. Wish I could. I think I'm just going to put on really great snow tires, load up the back with kittylitter, pack a shovel, and hope for the best. I live on a hill too -- a hill that's hard enough to get up with my FWD ION as it is now -- so that'll be great fun I can imagine.
What we all will do to own a sweet a** car!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Winter vs RWD

DuSpinnst said:
If you get a RWD car in a "Winter State" you better get ABS and the Limited Slip Diff, to provide you with some traction on the snow, and slightly better traction on the Ice. I plan on getting the Sky and using it as my daily driver for 3 years, so I have to last 3 winters, after that I am going to delegate it to summer only!
I dunno. If I lived in a winter state, I would only drive the Sky in the summer and fall. I lived in CT for a number of years and it rains too much in the spring and in the winter, the roads are bad enough to stay off the road. Keep a sexond car around for bad weather. Just Yankee common sense here. Of course, not completely, or I wouldn't be looking at a roadster...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i wish..

L100 said:
I dunno. If I lived in a winter state, I would only drive the Sky in the summer and fall. I lived in CT for a number of years and it rains too much in the spring and in the winter, the roads are bad enough to stay off the road. Keep a sexond car around for bad weather. Just Yankee common sense here. Of course, not completely, or I wouldn't be looking at a roadster...
I'd love to have 2 cars -- one to drive in the winter, and one in the summer, but I've only got 1) so much room in my little garage, and 2) enough money for one vehicle... Guess I'll just have to go really slow and take my chances! lol Yes, what I wouldn't do for a sweet car. :lol:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
You may have noticed, in recent years they have snow plows...

I have never needed 4WD, AWD -- or front wheel drive for traction in and around here (Chicagoland).
It's snow, folks, not lava... I hated FWD in snow and ice as you gaina bit of stability but lose a little ability -- Like the ability to steer! Gimme RWD and if it get THAT bad that's why god gave us vacation days....

:D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts