Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well finally got to get into a soltice for a spin at the GM Saturn dealer in Victoria BC Canada and at 6' 4" I dont even come close to fitting in it regarding leg room I cant strech out my legs and knees are bent around the steering wheel ( :brentil: its really quite pathetic for a North american made car). I had my dealer check with Saturn and the Sky is the same leg space and seat configuration
:(. As well my 6' 3" friend didnt fit either this is a pain I then canceled my 6 place spot and number 2 red line spot for the Sky. This dealer has had 3 cancelations do to the leg room issue, I was the third. :mad:
That a side the dealer is also taking Mallett V8 sky orders they have 1 already, they get the vin then send it to mallett and have the car made up and then sent to the dealership . The base price for the Sky in Victoria BC Canada is approx 27296 can $ the mallett 550 hp option add approx 16 k can $ to the price I've been told the red line is approx 3500 can $ option.
So tall people do not get to drive this car sad as its a great looking car.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Comparable leg room

The "max" leg room specs provided in the Sky buyers guy seem to be the same as my current SC series saturn and with the seat all the way back I have plenty of room, im hoping for the same with the sky...

Im not quite as tall at 6'1'' but my best friend is 6'5'' and has driven the SC and seems okay with it -- well no worse than his accord. Did you make sure the seat on the demo is the exact same as what will be in production? I know i have sat in demo cars at auto shows and the seats either dont move or maybe aren't the exact finished model spec (perhaps to give the appearance of more back seat room).

Just a thought, either way im sorry to hear that it was so cramped, at least maybe my friend wont take it for a joy ride.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Sorry to hear that you are cramped. There are a few on the Sol site that are your size, but they might have shorter inseams. :confused: I guess many roadsters are tight, for those your heigth. For once in my life 5'8" feels great! :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
Lost Sol said:
...There are a few on the Sol site that are your size, but they might have shorter inseams. :D
So this begs the question nightslider. What is your inseam measurement? I sat in a Solstice, but didn't really think about the size issue until I was half way home. At 6'1" and an inseam of 34" I should have paid greater attention to that detail. :banghead: Those sorts of things don't really make themselves apparent until you get a test drive. Since it will be some time before "test" rides will be available in either Kappa, it's good to know beforehand if our bodies even fit this car or not. I feel sorry for any (?) of those Solstice guys that waited all this time and don't even fit their cars. I haven't seen any posts that imply that any owner does not fit their car, but it seems to me that it's bound to happen at some point. Ordering a car based only on "blind faith" is not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It can be done

I have a Sol in my garage. I have driven it about 600 miles. I am 6'4" and have a 34" inseam. I have to put the seat all the way back. I moved the seat forward and than moved the back forward. Than move the seat all the way back. Than move the back as far back as it will go. I would not take this car on a long trip, but it works OK around town. H-ll, if you were going on a long trip you would need a trailer anyway.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Sorry to hear that you don't fit. I kinda figured the fit would be similar to the Miata. I had close to the same feel in the Miata as I did in the Solstice. Although the Solstice is slightly better all the way around and I look better in the Solstice than the Miata.

Perhaps you should look at the S2000, Mercedes or the Z4. Might be a better fit for your legs of not for you wallet. :(

·
Registered
328 Posts
ljsroof said:
I have a Sol in my garage. I have driven it about 600 miles. I am 6'4" and have a 34" inseam. I have to put the seat all the way back. I moved the seat forward and than moved the back forward. Than move the seat all the way back. Than move the back as far back as it will go. I would not take this car on a long trip, but it works OK around town. H-ll, if you were going on a long trip you would need a trailer anyway.
That was the similar answer I saw on the Sol site. They say it worked for them

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
I'm #2 at my dealer now and I don't want to get any higher. One post here suggested that the first Sky delivered to each dealership would sit for a while. I was speculating that very thing would happen myself. I don't want people sitting in my car. And if they want to look at it they can see it in my driveway or on the highway! :cool:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
rick112 said:
I'm #2 at my dealer now and I don't want to get any higher. One post here suggested that the first Sky delivered to each dealership would sit for a while. I was speculating that very thing would happen myself. I don't want people sitting in my car. And if they want to look at it they can see it in my driveway or on the highway! :cool:
My dealer told me that every dealer will get one sky first to be a demonstrater not to be sold, I am still first on the list of retail customers....

·
Registered
802 Posts
Thraxz said:
For every too tall cancellation I get moved up... this isn't a bad thing.
Yeah!! I hear ya! (29" inseam)

·
Registered
727 Posts
Inseam seems to be so important for these cars. There are a number of tall people on Solsticeforum who fit, and then a bunch of taller folks who have also reported problems. I cannot find the link at the moment, but just the other day a 6'5" individual reported he couldn't even shift the car without banging his knee on the dash unless he sat with the seat all the way back and the backrest completely upright. At that point he was far too uncomfortable to endure anything other than a very short trip.

Anyone who is taller may be best advised to find a Solstice they could sit in at a Pontiac dealer to test out how they fit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
ljsroof said:

Same here--I am 6'4" tall, and drove a Solstice a lot this past summer. Taller drivers will need to sit more upright in this car, but I was pleasantly surprised to be able to do that in relative comfort. I took the Solstice on a 500 mile round trip in one day, and was actually pretty comfortable.

Bottom line, go check out a Solstice before getting your expectation level too high.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am 6 ft with a 32 " inseam. I sit fine in a solstice with the seat all the way back and straight up, which is the way I like to drive. My concern is what the head room was like with the top up. I found that I have some head room left over. In comparison I sat in a Miata and with the seat back it was still too short for me and with the top up, I had to tilt my head to fit.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
ljsroof said:
I have about 1" between my head and the top. I can't wear a hat with the top up and I don't have alot of hair left. :lol:
Aero package eh! :lol: I know what thats all about. :cool: :cheers:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I knew god made me 5'10" for some reason... To fit in a SKY... :D

·
Registered
107 Posts
I counter

Mish,

I'm all of nearly 6'4 and found the Sky rather fine in size and design, swellness, etc. In fact, I thought it better situated than my Viper. Here's a pic of me in the Sky at a recent SoCal event:

·
Registered
802 Posts
Executive Car

rick112 said:
I'm #2 at my dealer ................... I don't want people sitting in my car. And if they want to look at it they can see it in my driveway or on the highway! :cool:
Heck! If they knock $10-12k off the price for used executive car I could afford to have it totally "detailed". It looks as though every dealer is going to have one sooner or later. Stick around and pick up a second one down the line..Yeah!, that's it..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts