Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife was setting in line at a fast food shop, and the lady in front of her backed into the front of her Sky. Very minor damage, but hood had the front folded down, cracked the chrome grill. The person's insurance was Progressive. According to my body shop the worst to deal with.

They wanted to total the car. It has 125k on it but looks damned near new. No scratches, door dings, or dents . Just the dent the driver put in the front. Would not pay to replace the hood, refused to pay for the grill as it was just barely cracked. The air bag sensor started failing before we had the work started. Notified the body shop. The Insurance refused to pay for it as it put it over the value of the car.

I did not want to total the car, to nice of a car. Agreed to fixing the hood and repainting the hood, the side fenders and the doors as the hood slid back and hit the doors. Inner fenders were replaced too, but I paid for them. The insurance agreed to pay 2700.00 bucks to keep the car on the road.

I guess the moral of the story, is, be careful, very careful as they are looking to total these things for basically nothing.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Progressive didn't treat me right. Thay said my LTZ was an LS. I don't believe that was an honest mistake. Now with USAA.

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just closed the Red and Black cover thread, and thought about contacting you. I have a set of Red and Black that were in near perfect condition, but were cut apart to use as a pattern for my black and yellow ones. I still have the set and most likely can get my upholster to make me another set. If you can't find what you are looking for. My guy is one of the best on the west coast, but not terribly quick. I will ask how busy he is and get a price. I am guess all leather or Marine Grade Vinyl you are looking at 600.00 but would be brand new. He does embroidery for that price. He did mine and @Robotech. Perfect work. Let me know if you want me to ask him.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I just closed the Red and Black cover thread, and thought about contacting you. I have a set of Red and Black that were in near perfect condition, but were cut apart to use as a pattern for my black and yellow ones. I still have the set and most likely can get my upholster to make me another set. If you can't find what you are looking for. My guy is one of the best on the west coast, but not terribly quick. I will ask how busy he is and get a price. I am guess all leather or Marine Grade Vinyl you are looking at 600.00 but would be brand new. He does embroidery for that price. He did mine and @Robotech. Perfect work. Let me know if you want me to ask him.
I am always interested in discovering new options. But I don't expect to be back on the west coast anytime soon. Am pondering Palm Beach Custom Upholstery. https://m.facebook.com/PalmBeachCustomUpholstery

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He can fit them on my seats, remove and ship. Hardly any shipping involved for this. I also have a set of black and red door panels. I can get you some pictures of my seats tomorrow I think, to give you an idea

·
Registered
629 Posts
He can fit them on my seats, remove and ship. Hardly any shipping involved for this. I also have a set of black and red door panels. I can get you some pictures of my seats tomorrow I think, to give you an idea
Please PM me the pictures. Thanks

·
Registered
629 Posts
I was thinking about using this concept in red silver (console color) to blend with the Sky oem seat design. I already had an upholsterer draw the design but he got sick and sold the shop. I never got a copy of (my idea) his design (how to cut and stitch the leather). The basic concept was to follow the bottom of the head rest diagonal angle. And stop the diagonals short of the knee bolster similar to the opposite of the bottom of the head rest. Diagonal stripes would be red. Lots of stitching.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I would love to contact the upholsterer about the custom design. And am still interested in your seat covers if price and condition is right.

·
Registered
915 Posts
That sucks. Another rebuild again. Insurance companies don't care about you or your car.
Just your premium payments monthly. Then if something does happen- they kick and scream on
the payout to repair anything, as little as possible to their bottom line.
My suggestion is to leave space, plenty of space between your car and the car in front of you
when sitting in line at a fast food place.

LAC

·
Registered
629 Posts
What wheels are those?
Azad They are 3 piece wheels. Rim, chrome insert, and hub/spoke bolted to the rim. CNC'd to 5x110. 9" front 10.5" rear. To heavy for racing, but gorgeous. Relatively inexpensive compared to the Sky Mallet wheels which started at $5200.00.

Hello

These wheels start at $5200 in a standard color. If we can assist and start an order for a set for you please just call/text 440-915-6166

Thanks
Gerry Corbo
President/Owner
www.cw4L.com
440-915-6166

·
Registered
746 Posts
I love the clean lines and look of the simple OEM 5 spoke chrome wheels. The only issues is of coarse, the adhesion of the chrome isn't what it should be. Some years are worse than others, but all chrome wheels have issues, especially at the sealing bead, in-part from trapped moisture introduced when adding air. That is what I am dealing with....sealing bead area peeling and bubbling. It takes a lot of effort to prepare the surface properly before mounting the tire back on. I did one leaker and that was a lot of work with uncertainty how long it will last.

Unfortunately nobody will power-coat a chrome wheel because they cannot remove the chrome without damaging the softer base metal. So the only way to power-coat a wheel is to start with one without a chrome finish.

For me, a close second to chrome is an OEM power-coated set that matches the silver-painted windshield frame and tulip. I considered a near brand new set from Hoosier_GXP, but could not justify investing more, only to give up my beautiful chrome finish. I'll just keep cleaning and preparing bead areas as issues crop up.

·
Registered
629 Posts
The chrome insert on the above AZAD wheel is not a part of the bead sealing. The insert is set into the wheel and slightly rolled over the rim edge to retain it. The silver/gray colored coating is hard and is likely powder coating. The hub/spoke surface appears to be machined.

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well things just get worse for this poor car and my wife. Was notified this morning that the car was stolen from the auto body shop. They recovered the vehicle, but the stereo system was gone and the dash was torn apart. Now another insurance company has to look at it I guess.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Well things just get worse for this poor car and my wife. Was notified this morning that the car was stolen from the auto body shop. They recovered the vehicle, but the stereo system was gone and the dash was torn apart. Now another insurance company has to look at it I guess.
sorry to hear that Bob,at least you still got the mirrors.don't let them go,hang on to them.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Oh boy, it just keeps going south for you. Sorry to hear about the theft damage. Hey, if you had a stock radio, there is that one for $400 with USB. Maybe the insurance company will buy it for you.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Well just when you thought things couldn't get any worse, some how karma
b*tch slaps upside your head one more time. Stolen. U don't say?
A word no owner ever wants to hear.

I have had 2 cars stolen in my ownership lifetime. Such a warm fuzzy like feeling of emotions over come an owner when the voice on the other end of the phone relays
the not so good news to you. Finding out on your own the following morning after the
deed is done... priceless.

The Fiero GT was a joy riding adventure without gas. Little damage, little time in the shop to fix things, not much of an insurance hassle either. Back in a weeks time.
It is the principle of the deed that drove me to arm myself. The Firebird on the other hand was a Pro job, complete disassembly of the product. Seeing it in the impound lot was a shock- how someone could do that? No honor among thieves.

Inside job at the body shop? Friend of a friend who worked there?
Any security cam footage on the premises?
Makes you as an owner pause for a second and go.. hmmmm?
Were the keys left in it, conveniently by someone at the shop?
Why just the radio and not half the car? Grand theft auto for just a radio?
Quick and easy. Bing bam boom half an hour.
The race to the place of removal at 90 mph sure was fun-
IF there was no other damage done to something more important to vehicle operations- motor/trans.

Insurance companies can be funny & picky.
IT must be fixed at an approved by us shop for the burger joint mishap of judgement.
Hell just give me and my wife the check-I'll fix this myself.
I DO have experience with these cars- just say'n.
I can protect my property a lot better on my property than leaving it at the approved shop by the insurance company in question. I have dogs, cams, lights, even barbed wire fences- plus a automatic weapon to change the mind of intruder- pretty much.

Hell honey let's just find you a new Kappa to drive. We have experience in this hunting down Kappas thing. Been there done that before.
IT will be fun until it isn't. After the resurrection of the Mallet this repair to the wife's favorite toy well one of her favorite toys that is.... I gonna build my own Kappa one day- wait I all ready have done that.

IT will get worse before it gets better. This is an understatement.
IT has gotten worse much worse.
Hang in there skersfan- even after the Illinois win from yesterday- this is a F' up year for
sure more or less.

LAC

1 - 20 of 42 Posts