Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I've got a 2008 redline with 74,000 miles on it. The motor overheated and it will not run. It has a salvage title. The body is 9/10. It looks great and handled/shifted fine.
I'm in Oakland CA.
(My PM box says its full with only one message for some reason.) Email [email protected]

·
Super Moderator
11,672 Posts
Well, don't know if it is a blown motor per se but you definitely have pressurized air getting back into the coolant system somewhere. That's not good.

Check your oil first. If it looks like chocolate milk, you have big problems.

Best case scenario is you blew a head gasket. They remove the head, put in a new gasket, put everything back together and you're good to go.

If that isn't it, it may be a cracked head. This is common when you severely over heat your engine from lack of coolant. While that sounds really bad, it is a matter of pulling off the head, replacing it and the gasket, and then putting everything back together.

Of these two scenarios, neither one is considered a blown engine.

The third, however, would be. One scenario is your block is cracked somewhere. Worse, if you had bad enough knock (that you could hear it is an indication it was VERY sever) you may have damage to other parts inside the engine. Regardless of HOW bad the damage is, any of these scenarios where the block has received damage and you're best off just getting a whole new engine. Good news is you may be able to sell some of your parts off to other folks wanting to do a turbo kit on their 2.4 Skys to offset the cost of the engine replacement.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a 5 speed by the way. Midnight Blue. Anyone interested? Its an awesome car I was only able to appreciate for 2 days before this happened. Its a tough decision to sell and I'll take a big loss but I lack the funds to fix it. PM me any offers you think are reasonable.

·
Premium Member
5,425 Posts
I had thought this was meant to be. I was in the Oakland area and was going to go look at the car, but it is a stick and it is Midnight Blue. Two strikes for me. Wish you luck Dan.

And before Robo goes nuts on me about the color. Living on a dirt road, it would look terrible no matter what I tried to do with it. Has to be a light color. Just not dealing with a dark color and dust 3 inches deep with our drought.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I am very sorry for your loss. Seriously, 2 days? That is awful luck.

·
Super Moderator
11,672 Posts
I had thought this was meant to be. I was in the Oakland area and was going to go look at the car, but it is a stick and it is Midnight Blue. Two strikes for me. Wish you luck Dan.

And before Robo goes nuts on me about the color. Living on a dirt road, it would look terrible no matter what I tried to do with it. Has to be a light color. Just not dealing with a dark color and dust 3 inches deep with our drought.
Pssshhhhhhhhhhtt...tell me ONE time you have ever driven your Sky on that dirt road? LOL You won't let water touch it so I can't imagine you purposely letting DIRT touch it! LOL

·
Premium Member
5,425 Posts
Having a new 2009 engine, is it a direct swap. I have an ECU for a 2009 GXP, the engine has less than 100 miles on it. Will they swap or is there a difference between the 2009 and 2008 Kappas? I think I read somewhere the 2007 is different.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Saw this post over on the Solstice forum... The ECM changed architecture and so did the motor in '08. So an '07 motor won't work with an '08-'10 ECM and vice versa. An '09 motor won't work with an '07 ECM. Not sure if different year BCM is compatible if you go '09 motor with '09 ECM.

·
Super Moderator
11,672 Posts
Saw this post over on the Solstice forum... The ECM changed architecture and so did the motor in '08. So an '07 motor won't work with an '08-'10 ECM and vice versa. An '09 motor won't work with an '07 ECM. Not sure if different year BCM is compatible if you go '09 motor with '09 ECM.
That makes sense. Now was this on the 2.4 Kappas and the 2.0 Kappas? I know the 2007 2.4s didn't have traction control and then when the 2008s came out they had a new ECM and incorporated traction control but the 2.0s had traction control from the beginning and I wasn't sure if they ever saw an ECM change.

Also, if there was that drastic of an ECM change was their also a wiring loom change? I know with the Grand Prixs you could put a 98 PCM into a 97 but you had to completely rewire the PCM plugs as they were very different. Just wondering if there was a complete ECM change if there wouldn't be some change needed to the wiring too.

·
Registered
559 Posts
After talking with seller car has a clear title with salvage history. Basically making it a rebuilt. It can be titled and plated in any state. I told him I would post these images for him

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,425 Posts
Consider the pictures above as my new pictures. I will be headed back to Oakland the first of the week to pick up the car. Will let all know if I made a great/questionable deal when I get back.

Really felt bad for the OP. Did the best I could do on the car. Now I have a new project, that the wife actually signed off on. Her comment this evening was it is not a real sports car without a stick. Robo have you been bending her ear. She can barely walk but says she will be able to drive it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.