·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is anyone using Sirius recievers? I saw this S50 model

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
I want to use this if it ever comes to market. That way I'd have Sirius instead of XM with the factory controls. I found it 6 months ago and have been watching to see if they ever release it. I'm planning to call the manufacturer soon, but I can't do it from work because I work for their main competitor.

I've had Sirius for 3 years in my other car and XM's programming really isn't doing it for me so far. I find myself listening to CDs more, and even FM which I haven't done in forever.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you need to get the upgraded radio to use it? and the other issue is where to place the antenna. I really want Sirius (gotta have stern in am).

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
I'm hoping the factory XM antenna will be compatible. I can ask the antenna guys at work tomorrow. I don't know if the other radios are XM ready or not, but if they are it should work.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Factory xm and onstar use the same antenna, thats clean. When I get the car Ill search for the best antenna location if the standard radio is a no go.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
vstar said:
Factory xm and onstar use the same antenna...
Right. I want to know if that antenna can be used for Sirius instead of XM. I'm really not interested in adding another. The Directed piece is supposed to come with an antenna, but I'm hoping not to need it.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I'm already a Sirius subscriber so I was interested in Sirius for my Sky too. Don't know if that will work or not without the FM Transmitter setup.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've been researching this for a while. The problem is, sattelite radios (XM and Sirius) have receivers that pick up specific signals based on their sattelites. I have found a product that Sirius has been promising the market but as of yet, I'm thinking it still hasn't been released, but I haven't confirmed with Sirius yet. I'll do that this week I think. The product allows you to use your existing XM radio but install a converter to receive Sirius. Here is a link to a reseller who still claims it isn't released yet.

GM Sirius Connect

All this waiting for the car and the radio. Argh!

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mbleigh said:
I've been researching this for a while. The problem is, sattelite radios (XM and Sirius) have receivers that pick up specific signals based on their sattelites. I have found a product that Sirius has been promising the market but as of yet, I'm thinking it still hasn't been released, but I haven't confirmed with Sirius yet. I'll do that this week I think. The product allows you to use your existing XM radio but install a converter to receive Sirius. Here is a link to a reseller who still claims it isn't released yet.

GM Sirius Connect

The SIRGM1 would be the best choice, using onstar antenna no hassle!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
mbleigh said:

GM Sirius Connect

The problem with the product description is that it seems to still require the installation of an antenna as if the existing one is not sufficient. :confused:

·
Registered
129 Posts
SKYtime said:
The problem with the product description is that it seems to still require the installation of an antenna as if the existing one is not sufficient. :confused:
Yeah, I saw that. I was going to clarify with Sirius before purchasing. I'm thinking that might be the case though.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
I spoke with someone today who is going to clarify part availability and antenna compatibility with the manufacturer for me. Should have an answer soon.

·
Registered
129 Posts
reedred said:
I spoke with someone today who is going to clarify part availability and antenna compatibility with the manufacturer for me. Should have an answer soon.
Great, I think this would be a good solution. Let us know what you find out. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Any update?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
That's the problem. I think we are trying to see how to convert the XM built-in system to a Sirius compatible system so you don't need to install a separate unit or antenna.

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
I will probably put an S50 sirius in my sky. I have one in my work vehicle with over 600 songs on it, i can just pull it off and put it in the sky when i go for a ride with all my fav songs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey,

First off, I have say the Saturn Sky is awesome. I'm generally a Mopar guy but the new Soltice and Sky are awesome.

So back to the discussion. I am a partner in TSS-Radio, which got linked here.

This product was introduced a year ago. It's been delayed and delayed. It has been finished in terms of engineering, and will be produced soon. My Personal ETA would be in mid August based on talking to people who have developed this product (GM SIRIUS Connect).

Here are some basic things to know about it.
-You will need to use the SIRIUS Antenna, in many places you can get away with putting the antenna in the front windshield
-Based on your radio, you may not be able to see much in terms of info on the GM Radio, vs the SIRIUS Plug and Play Units
-Not plenty of features Vs SIRIUS Plug and Play units
-The compatibility list has not been released.
-We have a solution for some GM Vehicles now, that is linked on that page, those vehicles are likely to be compatible with the new unit, but I can't guarantee that.

People are going nuts for this kit. We have been compiling an email list for it, and will email people when it does come out.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Doesn't sound too exciting, unfortunately. It's a shame that the systems can't just be converted from XM to Sirius and vice versa for a small fee to some smart business. :willy:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts