Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Someone from Saturn Customer Service called me a few minutes ago. When I told her that I was interested in only the Sky, she said I will be put on their "VIP Program" (must be something new). I have an appointment to come see a sales manager to go over all the details. She said the managers already have a specific price set on the Sky and I will be entitled to their lowest offering price. She also added that since I will be working directly with the sales manager, I will be able to choose from a list of Skys that will arrive on their lot.

This seems a little to good to be true. Has anyone gotten such a call from Saturn's customer service? What are things I should ask/be aware of when I visit them on Suday?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hmm... I haven't gotten any such calls yet, or emails from my Saturn sales rep, for that matter. Keep us informed :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Was this from Saturn of your dealer. Remember, the trend around here and solticeforum is that you should take anything a dealer says with a grain of salt! :)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
discodeca said:
Someone from Saturn Customer Service called me a few minutes ago. When I told her that I was interested in only the Sky, she said I will be put on their "VIP Program" (must be something new). I have an appointment to come see a sales manager to go over all the details. She said the managers already have a specific price set on the Sky and I will be entitled to their lowest offering price. She also added that since I will be working directly with the sales manager, I will be able to choose from a list of Skys that will arrive on their lot.

This seems a little to good to be true. Has anyone gotten such a call from Saturn's customer service? What are things I should ask/be aware of when I visit them on Suday?
Well thats news to me, I have put a deposit on a Sky and I am second on the list, I have talked to the sales manager, and he said there has been no prices set yet, and no way they can even promise certain options but he said as soon as they get the go-ahead I will be able to order my car as I want it and the best they can do is guarentee I will not pay more than MSRP. He also told me there has no date set yet for production of the Sky to start.. I have been dealing with this Dealership since 1993 and they have never misled me yet, so I believe what he tells me.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Only a grain of NaCl?

castleking said:
Was this from Saturn of your dealer. Remember, the trend around here and solticeforum is that you should take anything a dealer says with a grain of salt! :)
I was thinking more like a salt mine. I stopped by my local Saturn dealer this weekend and no one in the place knew anything. Again I found myself telling them about this site and the info. & pictures that were available to them to aid in bringing them up to speed. The sales guy I spoke with seemed bored with the whole topic. His only reply was " Well it's still a year out so we have plenty of time to get info. on it". Good grief! :banghead:

discodeca= "I will be entitled to their lowest offering price."
I thought Saturn used a "no haggle" sales policy. If that's true you will get the lowest price...Just like everyone else. :lol:

·
Registered
250 Posts
I thought Saturn used a "no haggle" sales policy. If that's true you will get the lowest price...Just like everyone else.
Yes, they do have a no haggle price, but the solstice retailers have been getting away with pushing the price up because of demand. GM sent out a memo asking them not to do this but the $ is much more powerful than good intentions.

Now would be a good time to get a friend that works for GM so you can get their pricing.

sky_vue

P.S. New to posting on the forum, but have been reading for some time. Great stuff folks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
classic66vair said:
Well thats news to me, I have put a deposit on a Sky and I am second on the list, I have talked to the sales manager, and he said there has been no prices set yet, and no way they can even promise certain options but he said as soon as they get the go-ahead I will be able to order my car as I want it and the best they can do is guarentee I will not pay more than MSRP. He also told me there has no date set yet for production of the Sky to start.. I have been dealing with this Dealership since 1993 and they have never misled me yet, so I believe what he tells me.
That's exactly what my dealer said, they don't have a clue as to production dates or what will be produced first. He took down my preferences as far as color and tranny, but couldn't promise anything.

·
Registered
149 Posts
sky_vue said:
Now would be a good time to get a friend that works for GM so you can get their pricing.

sky_vue
Right now everybody gets X plan prices. Or so they advertise. That would not include C-6s or Kappas though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I urge everyone to resist on putting down a deposit early, don't create a demand for this car, you're only going to be hurting yourself, i myself will sit until the initial madness is over and i purchase the car at a fair price

don't run to dealers and put down deposits, i doubt having a car right away when it comes out is that big of a deal, everytime a new car comes out, some people go nuts over it, and then a few months down the road or a year later, there's huge rebates or discount, wait until the dust settle, or better, don't make such a huge noise, how would you like it to know you paid a lot more then the next guy, and it's still the same car, even though it's a saturn with their no haggle policy, an illusion of demand will make GM price the car a lot higher then their original intention, and how would they know by demand? by the # of deposits and inquiries, just RELAX and stop being silly

·
Registered
56 Posts
sky_vue said:
Yes, they do have a no haggle price, but the solstice retailers have been getting away with pushing the price up because of demand.
But the Solstice is a Pontiac, and Pontiac, so far as I know, doesn't have such a policy.

And welcome to the forum :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
-Tj- said:
But the Solstice is a Pontiac, and Pontiac, so far as I know, doesn't have such a policy.

And welcome to the forum :)
I wonder if they'll then just raise the price and not allow you to haggle on it :)
Just a funny thought.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
superg said:
I urge everyone to resist on putting down a deposit early, don't create a demand for this car, you're only going to be hurting yourself, i myself will sit until the initial madness is over and i purchase the car at a fair price

don't run to dealers and put down deposits, i doubt having a car right away when it comes out is that big of a deal, everytime a new car comes out, some people go nuts over it, and then a few months down the road or a year later, there's huge rebates or discount, wait until the dust settle, or better, don't make such a huge noise, how would you like it to know you paid a lot more then the next guy, and it's still the same car, even though it's a saturn with their no haggle policy, an illusion of demand will make GM price the car a lot higher then their original intention, and how would they know by demand? by the # of deposits and inquiries, just RELAX and stop being silly
Welcome to the forums.

I have to say that's a bunch of crazy talk though. :D

The idea of holding out for rebates is soon going to be a thing of the past with GM. The Solstice, Sky, G6, Cobalt, HHR, all the new cars from GM have been priced differently then cars in the past. GM is taking the stance of pricing cars more in line with their real selling price then marking it up and offering rebates. So don't really expect to see rebates or at least rebates of the sizes they used to be from now on.

Also this is a very low volume car, even lower volume then the Solstice. The Solstice has easily sold all of it's allotments into the 2006 year. If the Sky sees any kind of demand like this don't expect to see a rebate for years to come IF it needs rebates to sell. Rebates are only offered on cars that don't sell well in general, or have been marked up with rebates in mind. When was the last time you actually saw a real rebate worth writing home about on a Corvette? They hardly even offer financing incentives on the car either.

There's also nothing wrong with wanting to be one of the first to have one. Especially if not pre-ordering now means you can't get one till the year 2007 as a 2008MY.

·
Registered
34 Posts
well I for one am going to wait to put a deposit down until the reviews are out on the solstice and the new mx5. I want to get the best performer out of the bunch!! :) but I am a sucker for the skys looks though!! :) man thats one beautiful car!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
i'll be putting down a deposit on the second MY SKY RL pretty soon here (if they let me hold back 1 year.) i want to pick all my options, and i'm not settling for anything but the RL, especially if there's as big of a difference between it and the base version as there is between the ION RL and the normal ION.

i've seen pictures were taken down of the engine, but here's a link for those who haven't seen...

unless i get rich and can afford the ls2 sky, that'll be my next toy

·
Registered
5 Posts
brentil said:
Welcome to the forums.

I have to say that's a bunch of crazy talk though. :D

The idea of holding out for rebates is soon going to be a thing of the past with GM. The Solstice, Sky, G6, Cobalt, HHR, all the new cars from GM have been priced differently then cars in the past. GM is taking the stance of pricing cars more in line with their real selling price then marking it up and offering rebates. So don't really expect to see rebates or at least rebates of the sizes they used to be from now on.

Also this is a very low volume car, even lower volume then the Solstice. The Solstice has easily sold all of it's allotments into the 2006 year. If the Sky sees any kind of demand like this don't expect to see a rebate for years to come IF it needs rebates to sell. Rebates are only offered on cars that don't sell well in general, or have been marked up with rebates in mind. When was the last time you actually saw a real rebate worth writing home about on a Corvette? They hardly even offer financing incentives on the car either.

There's also nothing wrong with wanting to be one of the first to have one. Especially if not pre-ordering now means you can't get one till the year 2007 as a 2008MY.
People were paying thousands over MSRP for the S2000 in the first few months, and now they're easily bought for invoice, same thing goes for the RX8, it actually goes for thousands under invoice, those 2 cars to mind right away, but definitely holds true for so many cars in the past

I'm not saying to hold out for rebates, i'm saying to hold out until the car is actually release and available to buy, then go down to the dealer and order 1, but i think it's pretty silly to put a deposit on a car that you haven't driven, barely any reviews on it, other then some pictures, inflate up demand to make GM possibly pricing it a notch higher, i certainly cannot predict the future of this car and nobody really can either, what may seems hot now may just be a fad that'll be passed, and as for rebates, maybe there will be or maybe not, probably no rebates in the early cycle of the car, only time will tell, i'm simply suggesting STOP PUTTING DOWN DEPOSITS, i rather put the money in the stock market or a high yielding CD for a year.

PS When the Z06 came out, the previous model was discounted pretty well that got me interested in getting one. Just relax people, and stop with the madness. Who in their right minds order something you cannot touch.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
superg said:
People were paying thousands over MSRP for the S2000 in the first few months, and now they're easily bought for invoice, same thing goes for the RX8, it actually goes for thousands under invoice, those 2 cars to mind right away, but definitely holds true for so many cars in the past

I'm not saying to hold out for rebates, i'm saying to hold out until the car is actually release and available to buy, then go down to the dealer and order 1, but i think it's pretty silly to put a deposit on a car that you haven't driven, barely any reviews on it, other then some pictures, inflate up demand to make GM possibly pricing it a notch higher, i certainly cannot predict the future of this car and nobody really can either, what may seems hot now may just be a fad that'll be passed, and as for rebates, maybe there will be or maybe not, probably no rebates in the early cycle of the car, only time will tell, i'm simply suggesting STOP PUTTING DOWN DEPOSITS, i rather put the money in the stock market or a high yielding CD for a year.
PS When the Z06 came out, the previous model was discounted pretty well that got me interested in getting one. Just relax people, and stop with the madness. Who in their right minds order something you cannot touch.
Will I say to each his own, Like i said in my post I have it down in writing by the manager I will not have to pay over M.S.R.P. As one of the previous posts says, if you want to wait a year or two to get yours then wait, that is up to you but don't put down the people that want put a deposit on one now...
BTW, I know of someone that put a deposit down on a PT Cruiser, to be purchased at MSRP and when the car came in before he could pick it up he got a phone call from an individual wanting to buy it from him for a 5 thousand dollar profit... so us that have our names on the wait list may make some real money when they start coming in... but for me I am keeping my Sky, I have read enough about them that I am sure it will do everything I want, and look good doing it... Of course I am not a street racer, I am a cruiser.... and that car looks like it will be a fun cruiser.

Since the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body and vice versa then only left handed people are in their right mind...... :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
superg said:

If you're worried about paying over MSRP then it's a worry you really don't have to fret over. I don't know a single person over at the Solstice forums that's paid over MSRP for the car yet. Some dealers are charging it, but just don't go to those dealers. Also Saturn is a no hagle MSRP priced dealer line.

Any deposit put down is fully refundable, and if you don't like the car when it comes in you can just not buy it. My dealer asked me for a whopping $50's for my deposit. I'd personally let him sit on my $50 and get my garuanteed #1 position at that dealership then wait till they come out which with the Solstice would mean a possible 6-8 month wait if we're lucky on top of the time we're waiting till release. Which for the Sky would possibly mean waiting till 2007 to get a car instead of early 2006.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I am willing to bet a case of cold cyber beer that the a price increase will announced as soon the EOP cars are handed over to their owners if not before. Any takers? One can only guess how much mark up the dealers will add as the dreaded "market adjustment". :brentil: And a brentil doesn't even come close to my reaction to that news. That 04 Electron Z06 may be closer than I thought. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Chip said:
I am willing to bet a case of cold cyber beer that the a price increase will announced as soon the EOP cars are handed over to their owners if not before. Any takers? One can only guess how much mark up the dealers will add as the dreaded "market adjustment". :brentil: And a brentil doesn't even come close to my reaction to that news. That 04 Electron Z06 may be closer than I thought. :cheers:
I have always found that 90 percent of what you worry that will happen will never happen, besides you don't have to take the car if you don't like it... there will be plenty of reviews that will come out on the Solstice before the first Sky is delivered... and since the only difference will be the outer skin and the dashpanel any performance and reliability problems will fit the Sky also...
Please quit being so negative, not all dealers are crooks, I will never do business with any dealer that marks up their car with an AMV and if everyone would do that then none of the dealers would charge one.
So Let anyone that wants to place their money down and enjoy the experience and excitement of anticipating the arrival of a car that will be unique for several years.
I want to make a deal with you, If you are right and they jump the price up on me I will be the first to admit it but if your wrong will you apologize to all of us that place their deposit down early?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts