Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was scanning this Detroit News article about the Ion, and way down at the end it revealed this information about the upcoming Saturn Kappa roadster:

http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinsider/0408/01/b01-228586.htm

Also for 2006, Saturn will add a sports car. A concept version of the car, called the Curve, was displayed on the auto show circuit this year. John Devine, GM’s vice chairman and chief financial officer, is expected to release the roadster’s formal name and a photo later this week.
So, just keep your eyes on the auto news world this week. If this article is correct, we will soon know whether the Saturn roadster will look like the VX Lightning, and what they will actually call it! :thumbs

·
Registered
34 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I was scanning this Detroit News article about the Ion, and way down at the end it revealed this information about the upcoming Saturn Kappa roadster:

http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinsider/0408/01/b01-228586.htm

So, just keep your eyes on the auto news world this week. If this article is correct, we will soon know whether the Saturn roadster will look like the VX Lightning, and what they will actually call it! :thumbs
Thanks for the update, can't wait.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
wow, and if it's a 2006 model released in the 2005 year along with the Solstice we're going to have to seriously ressorect those "Solstice or VX Lightining" polls. Can't wait till the official information comes out so we can mmake some informed decisions about these cars. Plus info released about the Saturn might leak some info we don't know about the Solstice yet too.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm looking forward to this :agree

Will be interesting to see how they position it against Pontiac's kappa. We'll finally have an official brother for Solstice :smile

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does that mean we'll have to change the name to the Solstice/(to be named later this week)Forum? KappaForum, in a few years, would have to be subdivided, with rumers of Chevy, Vauxhall, Opel, Dihatsu, Holden and others claiming to have a car in the pipeline. That pipeline wraps the globe!

·
Registered
34 Posts
brentil said:
wow, and if it's a 2006 model released in the 2005 year along with the Solstice we're going to have to seriously ressorect those "Solstice or VX Lightining" polls. Can't wait till the official information comes out so we can mmake some informed decisions about these cars. Plus info released about the Saturn might leak some info we don't know about the Solstice yet too.
I am seriously doubted GM will release both at the same time, the Saturn probably will get their Kappa a year after the Solstice become available for sale.

·
Registered
102 Posts
gmmerc5 said:
I am seriously doubted GM will release both at the same time, the Saturn probably will get their Kappa a year after the Solstice become available for sale.
I don't know, all the development work will be done. All GM has to do is add the sheet metal and interior. Hydro-forming the body panels gives GM a lot of flexabilty. The Saturn I hope will come to market very quickly.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The introductions will be staggared. I remember hearing Bob Lutz announce some time back that although there would be many Kappa products, that the project was started for Pontiac and that they would bring the Solstice to market first. The Saturn may not be far behind, maybe early spring 2006, but I believe the Solstice will hit before the Saturn.

It would make some sense too. If they build both at once, they suddenly will double their expected output. It will hurt their quality, at least initially, if they are taking less time per vehicle to meet demand. But if they start with one, they can go slower, check for mistakes more thoroughly, and get familiar with its construction. Don't forget, they are doing a lot of new things with the Solstice as far as making it goes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Fformula88 said:
It would make some sense too. If they build both at once, they suddenly will double their expected output. It will hurt their quality, at least initially, if they are taking less time per vehicle to meet demand. But if they start with one, they can go slower, check for mistakes more thoroughly, and get familiar with its construction. Don't forget, they are doing a lot of new things with the Solstice as far as making it goes.
Yes, there are many new things involved in building the new kappa products, it will take times to validate the new manufacturing processes, considering the kappa is a brand new platform, and there is no other GM plant anywhere in the world they can learn from; the suppliers needs to do the same for their; assembliers needs to be trained; it will take at least 6 months just to get to full line speed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Fformula88 said:
The introductions will be staggared. I remember hearing Bob Lutz announce some time back that although there would be many Kappa products, that the project was started for Pontiac and that they would bring the Solstice to market first. The Saturn may not be far behind, maybe early spring 2006, but I believe the Solstice will hit before the Saturn.

:agree I think GM will try to "protect" it's Saturn reputation by letting Pontiac go first. If there are significant teething problems they won't tarnish the Saturn name. I think they also don't want to confuse the market and diffuse the enthusiasm for the Solstice. It's important the Solstice be a success and then build on that. They know that a percentage of Solstice buyers would jump ship to Saturn leaving Solstice sales less than it could be and possibly deemed a sales failure in the eyes of shareholders if they don't reach 20k units.

If it were me, I'd make the Saturn very different from the Solstice and then release it at least a year after Solstice. Two similar and simultaneous roadster seems to me a big mistake. I think they have to be careful not to go Kappa krazy and blow the whole deal.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AeroDave said:
:agree I think GM will try to "protect" it's Saturn reputation by letting Pontiac go first. If there are significant teething problems they won't tarnish the Saturn name. I think they also don't want to confuse the market and diffuse the enthusiasm for the Solstice. It's important the Solstice be a success and then build on that. They know that a percentage of Solstice buyers would jump ship to Saturn leaving Solstice sales less than it could be and possibly deemed a sales failure in the eyes of shareholders if they don't reach 20k units.

If it were me, I'd make the Saturn very different from the Solstice and then release it at least a year after Solstice. Two similar and simultaneous roadster seems to me a big mistake. I think they have to be careful not to go Kappa krazy and blow the whole deal.
Not diffusing the enthusiams, and not spreading around any teething problems are a couple of great points! They certainly do not want any quality problems spread around multiple divisions before they have a chance to correct them.

If they are going to have a two roadster strategy, they would probably be best served by getting them onto 4 year styling revision plans, and releasing the second one 2 years after the first. That way, between the two divisions they will always have a roadster with "fresh" styling on the lot every two years to prevent the models from all being stale at once.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Come on, it's Tuesday. That clasifies as later in the week, give us our update news already :jester

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't think the GM vice Chairman would tell the writer that he was going to release the info soon, and not do it. I bet it will be forthcoming very shortly! (Although I doubt it will be enough information for our appetities!)

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Yeah, they'll probably just officially announce the rumored "Evoke" name or whatever it actually will be, and that it is a Kappa based platform. I'm mainly hopping for some official images and release timeframe. Of course a list of options and powertrains would be even better too, but I know that wont be announced. We're halfway through Thur now, and no news for us yet.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts