Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have updated the redline comparison for 2009you can view the new comparison at

http://richdesignndevelop.com/wholesky/Roadstercomp1.htm

:D There has been some talk about the Sky RL being to expensive and they may just as well get a S2000, BMW Z4 or Datsun Z. So I put together a comparison of the Saturn Sky Redline vs Comparable Roadsters (Not including looks :D ).

I used the compare vehicles features at Saturn.com. I then updated the Sky's statisitcs to reflect a fully loaded from the factory Sky RL. I then visited the three other cars websites to get a list of features that were not included in the compare. Since the base price of the others roadsters were 4-6k above a fully loaded RL, l felt it a fair comparision.

Note, since this basically a price versus features list, I kept the comparison to yes/no. These other roadsters may have more options or a better optional stereo, but they are not included in the base price.

If you feel I missed something please let me know and I will update it.

Saturn RL vs "Similarily priced" Roadster

I personally feel that for extra features of the other cars do not match the added price any more than a certain dealers 9000.00 Performance package does.

Updated: 0/7/2006 1:30 PDT. (Thanks KappaMan)
Added detailed wheel info.
Added Ipod integration
Added A/V Jack

The Model Names are now links to thier site where I got the info.

Thanks for making this a sticky post.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Great job!!! very informative. Thank you for all your hard work.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
So, I take it that you used "loaded" vehicle comparisons, right?

There are a few things that I've found useful that don't exist for any of the others, like the AUX port for all stereos in the Solstice/SKY (so I can play an IPOD, or a Sirius Portable or XM Roady, OR ANYTHING that has a 1/8" output.

You might want to label the Z4 to "Z4 2.5i" as distinguished from the 3.0i and another $8,000 and similar power to the RL.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
KappaMan said:

There are a few things that I've found useful that don't exist for any of the others, like the AUX port for all stereos in the Solstice/SKY (so I can play an IPOD, or a Sirius Portable or XM Roady, OR ANYTHING that has a 1/8" output.

You might want to label the Z4 to "Z4 2.5i" as distinguished from the 3.0i and another $8,000 and similar power to the RL.
Actually I used a Loaded Sky RL against the base of the other vehicles. Since the base of these vehicles are at the lowest $4,000.00 more I felt that was a fair comparison.

I did this to find out how a Sky Redline stacks up to the other cars per dollar, since heard some say for the price of the redline they may as well get a S2000, Z4, etc.. Well my chart shows I can get a fully loaded RL that includes quite a bit more than any of these cars for 4,000.00 less.

I will update the audio jack. If anyone knows of anything else let me know.

I guess I could include the AFBTs. Or possibly the White Drool Funnels, but nobody drools over those car like they do the Sky:D

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
How about wheel size?

IIRC - 18" X 8" is standard for the SKY RL, 17" only for the Z4, 17" only for the S2000, and

I don't think you get chromed wheels for the Z4, S2000, or the 350Z, but at that price I think you DO for the SKY RL. The tire is 225 wide for the 350 Z roadster, but 18". Tire for SRL is 245, 225 for the Z4 and S2000... Advantage on the "shoes" = SKY Red Line.

Powered top on Z4, S2000 - I assume the 350Z roadster is also powered, whereas SRL is not.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Interesting stuff. I compared these and a few others over the winter as options when considering deferring or completely walking away from the Sky.
While the base Sky may not compare to these to most folks and cost wasn't a determining factor, although price was, I had one more criteria which swung the difference.

S2000 - Not a Sky
BMW Z4 - Not a Sky
350Z - Not a Sky

I think K-Man has a tag line for this one.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
cerberus said:
Interesting stuff. I compared these and a few others over the winter as options when considering deferring or completely walking away from the Sky.
While the base Sky may not compare to these to most folks and cost wasn't a determining factor, although price was, I had one more criteria which swung the difference.

S2000 - Not a Sky
BMW Z4 - Not a Sky
350Z - Not a Sky

I think K-Man has a tag line for this one.
Just buy the car you fell in love with... :lol:

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
KappaMan said:

This is the 3.0i I did not see a 2.5i listed on the BMWUSA site.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
richmcc said:
This is the 3.0i I did not see a 2.5i listed on the BMWUSA site.
2006 MY Z4 no longer offers a 2.5i, they have a 3.0i and 3.0Si. The new 3.0i is lower power and torque then last years 2005 MY 3.0i engine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
nice chart - a couple corrections..

s2k definitely comes with leather, but no mp3 or sub

what is "universal a/v jack"? aux audio input makes more sense - there is no video...

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
arm1tage said:
nice chart - a couple corrections..

s2k definitely comes with leather, but no mp3 or sub

what is "universal a/v jack"? aux audio input makes more sense - there is no video...
Thanks I will make those Corrections

·
Registered
421 Posts
Thanks for putting so much time into this. I wondered how the competition spec'd up.

Good thing you didn't include a category for looks. There is no comparison.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Another Update.
I added pictures of the cars. I also colored coded the features to make it easier to see where the Sky RL has the advantage and where it does not.

I am thinking of adding pages where I do Head to Head comparison, so you can see what you get and don't get for the $4,000.00 plus Roadster. :thumbs:

As informative as it is, I think Cerberus has broke it down the best. The others are not a SKY :thumbs:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Very, very nice! Maybe add a Sol GXP?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Very nice comparison. THIS is the kind of thing that benefits this forum! I salute you!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
HiredGun said:
Very nice comparison. THIS is the kind of thing that benefits this forum! I salute you!
Thanks. I did not add the Sol GXP becuase it is basically a Sky Rl with different styling and I see no purpose of comparing the two. Use this comparision for Sol GXP against this.

·
Registered
54 Posts
richmcc said:
:D There has been some talk about the Sky RL being to expensive and they may just as well get a S2000, BMW Z4 or Datsun Z. So I put together a comparison of the Saturn Sky Redline vs Comparable Roadsters (Not including looks :D ).

I used the compare vehicles features at Saturn.com. I then updated the Sky's statisitcs to reflect a fully loaded from the factory Sky RL. I then visited the three other cars websites to get a list of features that were not included in the compare. Since the base price of the others roadsters were 4-6k above a fully loaded RL, l felt it a fair comparision.

Note, since this basically a price versus features list, I kept the comparison to yes/no. These other roadsters may have more options or a better optional stereo, but they are not included in the base price.

If you feel I missed something please let me know and I will update it.

http://home.earthlink.net/~richmcc1/SaturnRL.htm

I personally feel that for extra features of the other cars do not match the added price any more than a certain dealers 9000.00 Performance package does.

Updated: 0/7/2006 1:30 PDT. (Thanks KappaMan)
Added detailed wheel info.
Added Ipod integration
Added A/V Jack

The Model Names are now links to thier site where I got the info.

Thanks for making this a sticky post.
Wow! I'm impressed. Great Job Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Windows have light tint

:banghead:
I know according to the Saturn online consultant the side windows are not tinted but if you look at any sky the windows are not clear. On a previous post it was said from GMinthedrivway that:
Most all GM cars come with a light tint on all the windows, typically 70% on the front sides and 70 or 75% on the windshield. AFAIK that is the legal maximum for front and front/side window tint. Back side and back windows can be opaque.
So when you state that the Sky does not have tint yes it does not have a dark tint but the windows are tinted. I know when I looked at the Sky's at my dealer the windows were not clear, they did not have the limo tint but they were tinted.

TulsaSky
:driving:

·
Registered
514 Posts
depreciation will be killer on a GM vs a BMW or a Honda. So long term you might actually get all that extra money back that you paid extra for the Honda or BMW.

Then there is reliability, I know the Honda will be rock solid so maintence would not be a factor, the Saturn turbo engine is unproven, and if it was a German made BMW I think it would be better than a USA made Z4 if the Z3 is any indication.

Compare insurance, which will be cheaper, I know the Turbo always gets the insurance people up in arms, but so does the higher price tag of the other 2, so it seems like a wash. The S2000 is a popular target among theives, making rates higher.

The RL gets better gas milage.

The other 2 cars get more gears.

Trunk space goes to the other 2.

It all comes down to how many trips you have to make to the dealer to get something fixed, we won't know that for a few years, but edmunds rates the cars like this for reliability:

JD Powers:

S2000 gets 5/5 on mechanic reliability
http://www.edmunds.com/used/2000/honda/s2000/1889/ratings_jdpower.html

Z4 gets a 5/5 on "initial quality" <--- pretty worthless 90 days of ownership, I want to know if it will last 2=3 years out:
http://www.edmunds.com/used/2004/bmw/z4/100350457/ratings_jdpower.html

As far as GM turbo I could compare the Sky RL to, there really isn't anything since its all new, the cloest I could find would be GM's SAAB 9-3, Turbo.
It did very poorly for mechanical reliability at 2/5
http://www.edmunds.com/used/2005/saab/93/100454380/ratings_jdpower.html

So I guess we can hope the Sky turns out to be Honda bullet proof, that is pretty much what you are paying that extra $5000 for. If GM would do a 60,000 mile warranty like Lexus, or a 100,000 like Hyndaui it would go a long way towards easing people back into domestics.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts