Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*Flame On*
So as many of you know, I am having the Mallett V8 conversion done to my sky. (vin #3171) and by all accounts, the car should have arrived at Saturn last week. Now keep in Mind the dealer has had my deposit since last September and I have been bugging them endlessly for updates and making *sure* everything was going to go smoothly. The Mallett upgrade is costing me about $25k, so I wanted to time the 60% non-refundable down on the upgrade as close as possible to the car arrival, at which point I would have paid Saturn for the Sky itself. I aslo needed to have my SSR wheels purchased and shipped to Mallett in Ohio as well (I am in Arizona BTW). With me going 4200 (shipped) two weeks ago, I got all the wheels rolling on payments.

Long story short, they shipped it here to Arizona instead. Keep in mind this is the one situation I litterally hounded them to make sure did not happen. So today I get the call....

******************

Saturn Dealer:
"We are so sorry, this really should have been avoided and we know how disappointed you are, but there was a *miscommunication* and the car cam here and we cannnot ship it back to Ohio for free. So we are going to take our next order in line and make that you NEW order and this time we will make sure that it goes to the correct location."

ME:
"&^%$$!!!...how could this happen? I talked to you guys like once a week to make sure all was going well and every week you told me all was on track, now today after I called you suspecting something was wrong and asked you to look into it you discover there is an issue? WTF??? Well when will the new car be ready? "

Saturn dealer:
"Maybe 6-8 weeks....we are really sorry, I feel bad. There are pleanty of fingers to point and unfortunately you will pay the price."

*************

Well folks, I am here to tell you that I already have paid the price. I am out my non-refundable $16,000 + the $2000 for wheels. My car will show up at Mallett in Mid August (and I bet that was a lie itself) which means I will lose my place in the Mallett upgrade line...So I won't see my car until October. I can't tell you the feeling you have when you are soooo excited to be passionate about something like this then have it ripped away from you by people who don't really give a crap. Thanx for taking the fun out it Saturn.
*Flame off*
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,686 Posts
Wow that really sucks! Sorry to hear it. Screaming at your dealer might not change anything but it might make you feel better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,417 Posts
Wait... explain more at why you lose a whopping $16,000. Have you tried talking to Mallet?

I would never use a company that took THAT kind of a non-refundable deposit for doing zero work.

You sure it wont just get applied to your later upgrade? That sounds borderline insane.
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
4,853 Posts
This really sucks. First make sure the management of the dealership is telling you this, not your (however beloved) salesman who may be an idiot. I'd then suggest you call the Saturn 800 number first thing in the morning. Assuming they didn't do anything silly like sell the car that appeared in AZ already, you should be able to get the situation worked out pretty easily. All they need to do is ship the car from AZ to OH. If it doesn't work out (which I can't imagine), why not just buy the car and ship it yourself? It would suck, but the ~$600 it would cost may be worth it to you to have the car sooner since you have so much cash tied up in it.

While you're doing all this, make sure you take the time to tell the loser who said "There are plenty of fingers to point and unfortunately you will pay the price" to go defile himself. That attitude is the biggest bunch of horse #@$* I've read in a while.

Good luck! Keep us posted!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,686 Posts
I am not trying to presume anything but if you could afford to by the SKY and all the Mallet upgrades couldn't you just ship the car that came in to Ohio instead of waiting on another SKY to come off the assembly line?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I could ship it to Ohio...but depending on how you ship it it will still take up to two weeks and cost about $1200 (And I will still have to ship it back). So yes, I could save some time at a cost, but my point was that I will still have to pay the price (either time or money or both) for a Saturn screw up. I am actully considering taking ownership here in AZ then driving it there myself. Make a road-trip out of it...try and make lemonade out of lemons kinda thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, the $16k will still get applied to my upgrade when they do it, it is just that dishing out $16k in June and not driving anything until October is tuff to swallow. I still took out a loan to do this, so I am making payments with no asset.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,686 Posts
CyaL8r said:
Yes I could ship it to Ohio...but depending on how you ship it it will still take up to two weeks and cost about $1200 (And I will still have to ship it back). So yes, I could save some time at a cost, but my point was that I will still have to pay the price (either time or money or both) for a Saturn screw up. I am actully considering taking ownership here in AZ then driving it there myself. Make a road-trip out of it...try and make lemonade out of lemons kinda thing.
Driving it there will cost far less than $1200 to be sure. You will own your SKY and get a road trip out of it. I know that this would just continue to eat at me until the next one came in. I not trying to jinx you but what is to say it won't happen again? My point being take control of the situation as soon as you can leaving that much less to chance. Do what is going to make you the happiest soonest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,417 Posts
CyaL8r said:
Yes, the $16k will still get applied to my upgrade when they do it, it is just that dishing out $16k in June and not driving anything until October is tuff to swallow. I still took out a loan to do this, so I am making payments with no asset.
Well that makes me feel a bit better, I was about to recommend a good lawyer...

(evil grin)
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
3,491 Posts
I don't want to sound like a wise-ass, but...

It's a friggin' car. DRIVE the thing to Ohio!

It would be a great trip! You'll get to know the car as she was "before." I drove Los Angeles to Detroit in 48 hours. You can do it slow and take four days... Make a vacation out of it, or find somebody who will drive it there for you... I bet if you put on the forum "I need to get my car from Arizona to Ohio; who is willing to drive it there for me?" you'll get a taker even willing to pay their own flight back.

Don't be a victim. Solve the problem!
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
1,570 Posts
Did you check into the cars Mallett has on hand??? They mentioned they had the car I am waiting for ready to be built up... they just may have or at least have access to one very similar to what you ordered.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,205 Posts
CyaL8r said:
I am actully considering taking ownership here in AZ then driving it there myself. Make a road-trip out of it...try and make lemonade out of lemons kinda thing.
Hey, Im here in Az and have family in Ohio. When are ya going? Probably cant get that much time off work, but would love to go too...:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,950 Posts
CyaL8r said:
*Flame On*
So as many of you know, I am having the Mallett V8 conversion done to my sky. (vin #3171) and by all accounts, the car should have arrived at Saturn last week. Now keep in Mind the dealer has had my deposit since last September and I have been bugging them endlessly for updates and making *sure* everything was going to go smoothly. The Mallett upgrade is costing me about $25k, so I wanted to time the 60% non-refundable down on the upgrade as close as possible to the car arrival, at which point I would have paid Saturn for the Sky itself. I aslo needed to have my SSR wheels purchased and shipped to Mallett in Ohio as well (I am in Arizona BTW). With me going 4200 (shipped) two weeks ago, I got all the wheels rolling on payments.

Long story short, they shipped it here to Arizona instead. Keep in mind this is the one situation I litterally hounded them to make sure did not happen. So today I get the call....

******************

Saturn Dealer:
"We are so sorry, this really should have been avoided and we know how disappointed you are, but there was a *miscommunication* and the car cam here and we cannnot ship it back to Ohio for free. So we are going to take our next order in line and make that you NEW order and this time we will make sure that it goes to the correct location."

ME:
"&^%$$!!!...how could this happen? I talked to you guys like once a week to make sure all was going well and every week you told me all was on track, now today after I called you suspecting something was wrong and asked you to look into it you discover there is an issue? WTF??? Well when will the new car be ready? "

Saturn dealer:
"Maybe 6-8 weeks....we are really sorry, I feel bad. There are pleanty of fingers to point and unfortunately you will pay the price."

*************

Well folks, I am here to tell you that I already have paid the price. I am out my non-refundable $16,000 + the $2000 for wheels. My car will show up at Mallett in Mid August (and I bet that was a lie itself) which means I will lose my place in the Mallett upgrade line...So I won't see my car until October. I can't tell you the feeling you have when you are soooo excited to be passionate about something like this then have it ripped away from you by people who don't really give a crap. Thanx for taking the fun out it Saturn.
*Flame off*
sounds more like a dealer problem than Saturn... they are the ones that screwed up your order... not Saturn...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, the dealer certainly should take most of the blame here, but according to the dealer, part of the problem was that the original drop ship order was refused by Satrun and the Dealership was not notified until after it was on its way here to Arizona. :brentil: Maybe it is true and maybe it was a load of B.S. from the dealer. In any case the Dealer is still a Saturn representative. I also blame Saturn because there order tracking system *should* be viewable by the public...not just by the sales manager (one person) at the dealership. That is really more a GM problem than Saturn. This whole status process is very frustrating, especially the shipping part. I know by reading this forum I am not the only one that thinks so. You can track a $5 Fed-ex package all the way across the planet, but you have no idea where your $25,000 car is? :banghead:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
I say take a one-way flight to Arizona and drive that baby back to Ohio. Sounds like an adventure!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,876 Posts
CyaL8r said:
Well, the dealer certainly should take most of the blame here, but according to the dealer, part of the problem was that the original drop ship order was refused by Satrun and the Dealership was not notified until after it was on its way here to Arizona. :brentil: Maybe it is true and maybe it was a load of B.S. from the dealer. In any case the Dealer is still a Saturn representative. I also blame Saturn because there order tracking system *should* be viewable by the public...not just by the sales manager (one person) at the dealership. That is really more a GM problem than Saturn. This whole status process is very frustrating, especially the shipping part. I know by reading this forum I am not the only one that thinks so. You can track a $5 Fed-ex package all the way across the planet, but you have no idea where your $25,000 car is? :banghead:
GM does not own the shipping (trucks, planes etc) like FedEx -- That is why they do not know know where the car is it is. Also - once it leaves the plant the car is invoiced so technicly it is being transferred to the dealer. So the dealerships should buy all the trucks and railcars?
Once again -- when cars are ordered (under normal conditions) -- the customer is told, "We'll call you when it gets in." You get (got) no further info and they called you to tell you it was in. More than likely you bought It off the lot. This car is completely different but most likely the only one where the future owners will actually know what day their car's order was broadcast to the production floor:lol: .
Screw up happen and this one is not good, but relax with the tracking system, it’s not for the customer - it is for the Dealers use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,950 Posts
guess you could call Onstar and ask them to find your car all you need is the VIN number :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tue GM does not own the shipping, but there is not a shipping company out there these days that does not have GPS on their trucks. I know this because I lookup up most of them so that I could ship my car from Ohio to Arizona when it is done. Trust me, someone at GM can find out where a car is...the problem is that it takes someone with a personal passion about the situation to take care of it. And lets face it, if the dealer can't take care of a customer as excited about their product as me, who showed up a year before anyone else even knew about the Sky, had a down payment in a year ago, and checked in once a week to make sure all was going well, I doubt they will truely take care of anybody.:nono:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Building on your lemons to lemonade theory...
I still took out a loan to do this, so I am making payments with no asset.
Think about those in the northern parts of our local planet that are paying on cars for 4-6 months and don't get to drive them. You will be driving the bad ass car months into and later than anyone in the north will.
File this as lessons learned and move on.
You will have THE car to have and the time will pass.
Or get the car, drive it up over a long weekend and fly back. Does Northwest fly there?
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top