Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we couldn't comment on the hard top on the vendor's thread, I wanted to create a new thread. I feel that the lines of he hardtop were done well and go great with the sky. However, why would we purchase a two seat roadster only to turn it into a station wagon? If anyone looks at the original solstice coupe prototype, it had a gorgeous fastback design.....can't we get that? I might actually pay for something like that...After a few years of having a convertible, it may be nice to have a fast back coupe.....Note to venders, PLEASE work on this.....we don't want to turn our gorgeous roadsters into mini station wagons.....but a hardtop fastback would be nice....:thumbs:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,165 Posts
You would be surprised as to how many folks come in asking if there is a hard top available for the SKY. :banghead:

I myself don't get it. Why buy a convertible and then put a hard top on it? Although I see two good reasons; extreme winter driving, and because it's required for racing purposes. :thumbs:

Getting back on topic, I do like the SKY's Hard Top as compared to the one offered for the Solstice... :D

Regards,

BA...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Where can I find a image of the Sky hardtop? I haven't seen it yet.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,165 Posts
Where can I find a image of the Sky hardtop? I haven't seen it yet.
It's in the file the vendor posted under his first post... :D

Regards,

BA...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
692 Posts
No station wagon or Triumph GT6 "squirrel back" for me. I would be interested to see a hard top drop in for the Sky though. Short, mind you, maybe with posts that drop into where the slots are for the wind screen.
Saw a photo shop pic in the forum some time back that looked much more appealing than the soccer mom look.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
Totally agree. I love the concept and it looks like a well made part but I'd love to see it without the hatchback portion. Ditch the bubble window on the back and that'd have some sleek lines :thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
I read my reply and thought I should specify. The hatchback is a good idea, it is the wagon back I don't like. I'd prefer to see a hatchback (so you can access stuff in the back) ala the eclipse rather than the magnum. For refernce, posted their pic and what I'd like to see. This is of course just my opinion.

Their Design:


What I'd like to see:


Either way, kudos on being the first to deisgn something up, this is a mod I would certainly be interested in :thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
Don't like either choices. U-G-L-Y
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,876 Posts
There are a couple of things that shut this idea down for me. First - I bought a roadster. I am not interrested in retro fitting or changing that. What supports my decision is that even though I live in a Northern State, I will minimize my winter driving (a Salt-Free diet, so to speak). The convertible top is perfect for the small amout of cool weather driving I do.
Second - Have not seen a design that I would actually want to pay money for.
It is nice, however, to see vendors begining to make things for the SKY. As the aftermarket grows all kinds of stuff will appear. For me I bet 98% of it will be usless to me. But chances are the 2% I like would not be possible or available without the 98% I hated.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I read my reply and thought I should specify. The hatchback is a good idea, it is the wagon back I don't like. I'd prefer to see a hatchback (so you can access stuff in the back) ala the eclipse rather than the magnum. For refernce, posted their pic and what I'd like to see. This is of course just my opinion.

Their Design:


What I'd like to see:


Either way, kudos on being the first to deisgn something up, this is a mod I would certainly be interested in :thumbs:
Keeferno, you are so right! That is exactly what I was thinking. If they would just get rid of the bubble window in the back and make it a fastback it would be 100x more appealing to the sports car crowd. Maybe even give it some creases on the top that match those on the original trunk and flow with those on the rear facia. I think the windows look great on the profile. This could still be a hatchback, but if I would have to deal with rattles, I would ditch the hatch/fast back idea for a solid fast back top. This is so close to being a great idea for anyone who, after a few years, wants a hardtop for their sports car.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,329 Posts
There are a couple of things that shut this idea down for me. First - I bought a roadster. I am not interrested in retro fitting or changing that. What supports my decision is that even though I live in a Northern State, I will minimize my winter driving (a Salt-Free diet, so to speak). The convertible top is perfect for the small amout of cool weather driving I do.
Second - Have not seen a design that I would actually want to pay money for.
It is nice, however, to see vendors begining to make things for the SKY. As the aftermarket grows all kinds of stuff will appear. For me I bet 98% of it will be usless to me. But chances are the 2% I like would not be possible or available without the 98% I hated.:D
:agree: :agree: :agree:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
11,587 Posts
Their Design:


What I'd like to see:
I actually like the wagon one. I play hockey and there are times when I would LOVE to have that extra storage room. Right now with the GP down I could sure use something like this. Certainly wouldn't use it all the time but when I needed it, would be nice to have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,390 Posts
Don't fix what's not broken...who would pay an additional $2500 + tax & shipping to make the car UGLY..not fugly...let's call a spade a spade...but I bet there is someone out there that thinks it is beautiful...I know there is someone....let's hear from the peanut gallery.

I am waiting...give it your best shot. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
I actually like the wagon one. I play hockey and there are times when I would LOVE to have that extra storage room. Right now with the GP down I could sure use something like this. Certainly wouldn't use it all the time but when I needed it, would be nice to have.
Wouldn't you have to remove the trunk lid and the convertible top to gain the extra storage (or, at the very least, find something to cover the trunk lid so it didn't get scratched when you piled stuff on top of it)? Doesn't seem like it would be very easy to switch back and forth. If you want a roadster, buy the SKY. If you want to haul stuff and have that look, buy a Dodge Magnum.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top