Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installing LED’s on a Saturn Sky Tail Lights
This write up is self explanatory, just follow the pictures.
It’s a very easy process, I’ll give it a 3 Hammer Job…. 1 Hammer Very Easy - 10 Hammers Very Difficult.
The reason I gave it 3 Hammers, Removing of the tail lights could be a PITA and can cause damage to the fixture lens or surface on the Bumper Cover… Be very careful!!!
Pull at about 20 degrees Upwards towards you if standing in front of the fixture while pulling. Give it a good yank while holding each corner of the fixture. Do not let the fixture tilt to one side while pulling that’s when the damage occurs. Ware surgical clove for a better grip… But first before you pull, remove two (2) 7MM screws from the top of the fixture inside the trunk area…. Good-Luck!!!

·
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
After removing the fixture, place it upside down in a safe and comfortable work location.
Note: Place a soft towel underneath the fixture to avoid scratching the lens.

Start by cutting the few Tie Raps that are holding the wires in place.
Twist and pull the lamp sockets out from its mounting points.

Identified and spread the wires to be connected to the resister leads.
In this case the two outer wires from each socket.

Rear Lights Basic schematic STOP/TURN wiring.

Crimp male connectors to the identified wires.

·
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Install your LED to its socket.
Note: Red dot on LED’s signifies positive (+) terminal.

Position your wires back into place.

Cut four (4) pieces about three feet (3’) long of #16 AWG.
Crimp female connectors to one side of each #16 AWG wire.
Connect both female and male connectors.

Tape, Tie rap and Position wires tucked out of the mounting way.

·
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Bring fixture back to car and position into place.
The three foot (3’) tail you made before and connected to the fixture wires will be inserted into an opening on the lower outside edge of the rear fixture mounting.

Wires should be coming down between the rear bumper and back section of rear wheel well.

·
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Crimp connectors on to the wires coming down from the fixture and connect the resisters to those wires.

OK, going back underneath the car to mount the resisters.
The pictures below will show you where I mounted my resisters.

Done…

Stand Back and Enjoy your brighter tail lights. For those with sequential turn signal modifications you will love the way the LED’s function when blinking.
Enjoy!
-Vic (MARVIC 1)

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
:thumbs:You DA MAN!!

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
As always Vic. Great write up w/pics.
I PNT this out for JohnRR Wife's R/L so He can see how this is installed. This is what this forum is all about helping each other out.
Larry
LLLFLy

·
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As always Vic. Great write up w/pics.
I PNT this out for JohnRR Wife's R/L so He can see how this is installed. This is what this forum is all about helping each other out.
Larry
LLLFLy
Thanks Larry, the rest of the LED's are plug and play, but the front turn signal LED's are hooked up just like the tail lights..... You can call me when your doing the install if you have any problem.... :)

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Great write up What is the bulb number? Both the original and the LED. Is the resistor a certain value?

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Thanks Larry, the rest of the LED's are plug and play, but the front turn signal LED's are hooked up just like the tail lights..... You can call me when your doing the install if you have any problem.... :)
The rest of the LED's? Did I miss something? Is this a kit that you bought?

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
do you have any before and after pics from the back with them intalled so we can see the differance?

·
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
do you have any before and after pics from the back with them intalled so we can see the differance?
The rest of the LED's? Did I miss something? Is this a kit that you bought?
Great write up What is the bulb number? Both the original and the LED. Is the resistor a certain value?
Thanks Jim! :)
Your question is answered here: ----> http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2/led-lighting-stunner-lights-39678/
Start with post #1

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hey Vic,
Thanks for everything. Larry and I painted the calipers and rotors on Shirley's Redline today. I'll begin the LED installation soon. I'll take some before and after shots and post them. I'm going to try to take a video that shows how a LED bulb lights up faster than the regular bulbs. After reading your tutorial/pictorial above, it now seems so easy.

Thanks again,
I love this forum!
John

·
Registered
2,055 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
I don't understand where you would use these white/amber LED's. It seems like it would be distracting to other drivers at night. The turn signals would be white then turn to amber when making a turn. It's not simple enough for me :confused:

John

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Current/new model Audi's with the LED driving lights do this now. On solid white normally, but then flash amber for turns. Kinda cool looking IMO.

·
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Current/new model Audi's with the LED driving lights do this now. On solid white normally, but then flash amber for turns. Kinda cool looking IMO.
Just ordered a set of those lights, I'm sure I can get them working on our SKY...
Wondering how its going to act with the front pulsating side markers and the turn signals... I'm sure the white will be a consent on with the amber blinking, Its going to be interesting! :)

1 - 20 of 99 Posts