Saturn Sky Forum banner
41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Note on the Stunner front turn signal LED's I had to dwindle them also in order to fit the socket

The word "dwindle" made me laugh :D The fact that the LED bulbs were hard to install is what led to my damaging the front turn signal socket. I foolishly applied too much muscle and not enough brain.

So, the purpose of this post is to advise others who are thinking about installing LED's. The new bulbs might need some "dwindling" to make them install with a little less force. Dwindling in my garage meant that I lightly chamfered the edges of the bulb's plastic piece to make them resemble the stock bulb I was replacing. I also applied a little anti-corrosion electrical grease to help the new LED bulbs slide into the factory socket.

John
That's correct Professor Dwindler! :lol:
I believe the Stunner LED kit were basically made for the Solstice and Jay expanded to the Sky because of request from Sky owners. The light kit comes with a missing tale light LED that I think he did not know existed..
Jay is a Good guy, willing to work and communicate with anyone because he cares..... IMO :cheers:

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Yes I was....
That's the funny part, I thought you had them done and as you wrote "worked flawlessly"....
you couldve just asked instead of trying to call me out lol. i meant they flashed back and forth between white and amber. yeah i had to trim the sides a little because the was a tiny little bump on the ends that wouldnt let me push it in, after that they plugged in like normal. i did have trouble getting the leds in the socket since theyre really wider and longer than a regular bulb but was able to by twisting and maneuvering it until it went in.

some pics. will take a vid once the fast flashing is fixed. the amber led doesnt look as bright the halogen. cant tell from the pic though since theyre both led but i compared them when i first installed it. these things are pretty sweet and look pretty cool on the road at night or on a vehicles reflection in front of you. theyre almost like a fog light.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
3 more pics and a video of them in action. one pic is in front and the other two are locations where i mounted the resistors. the video is with the hazard lights on. i was going to video each turn signal but for some reason after i mounted the resistors the drivers side started flashing fast again while the passenger side is normal. dunno what happened but i dont have time to fix it today or for the next few days. maybe itll fix itself! :D

2008 Saturn Sky Redline LED Turn Signals - YouTube

Attachments

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Does anyone know if when you're replacing front and rear lights with LEDs, do you need resistors on both ends?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
i would think so. you probably need 6 resistors total for all 6 turn signals.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Did we ever decide what the best resistor value is for this mod and where the best place is to get 6 of them?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I can tell you that a 6 Ohm / 50 Watt resistor will work everytime. I can also tell you that a 10 Ohm resistor will work some of the time. If I were doing this again, I would order six 8 Ohm / 50 Watt resistors from Allied Electronics.

The 8 Ohm resistor will draw about 1.7 Amps or 23 Watts.
Dale / Vishay - RH0508R000FE02 - Passive Components - Resistors - Allied Electronics

The 6 Ohm resistor will draw about 2.3 Amps or 32 Watts.
Dale / Vishay - RH0506R000FE02 - Passive Components - Resistors - Allied Electronics

You'll have to do a little soldering of wire leads to the resistors.

Good Luck,
John

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
man i still gotta fix my drivers side turn signal. that fast blinking is driving me crazy lol.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Great post, thanks!!

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
I can tell you that a 6 Ohm / 50 Watt resistor will work everytime. I can also tell you that a 10 Ohm resistor will work some of the time. If I were doing this again, I would order six 8 Ohm / 50 Watt resistors from Allied Electronics.

The 8 Ohm resistor will draw about 1.7 Amps or 23 Watts.
Dale / Vishay - RH0508R000FE02 - Passive Components - Resistors - Allied Electronics

The 6 Ohm resistor will draw about 2.3 Amps or 32 Watts.
Dale / Vishay - RH0506R000FE02 - Passive Components - Resistors - Allied Electronics

You'll have to do a little soldering of wire leads to the resistors.

Good Luck,
John
I ordered their 8 Ohm resistors.
:cheers: Thanks for all the info

·
Registered
220 Posts
Ok JimElvis,

Please report back to us the outcome. Did you have to do anything special (dwindle or grease) to the new LED's to get them in the sockets? If you're putting LED's in the mirror, let me know if they dimly glow all the time.

John

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
What size resistor (Ohm/Watts) did you use on the driver's side that is not working?

John
im not exactly sure but i want to say its a 6ohm/50watt and its the same as the passenger side. whats really weird is that when i first soldered everything up it worked fine but when i put electrical tape on to keep it from the weather and then mounted it the thing started flashing fast. i need to take it out and check the connections.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
i noticed that after changing the leds in my radio that they glow for a bit after i turn off the car. they dont turn off completely until i open my door or after 10 minutes when the radio loses complete power.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
i noticed that after changing the leds in my radio that they glow for a bit after i turn off the car. they dont turn off completely until i open my door or after 10 minutes when the radio loses complete power.
I've replaced most of our household light bulbs with LEDs and they too continue to glow for a few seconds after turning the light off.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
already checked the rear bulbs and they work fine. ill check again though.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm surprised that you haven't bought any compact flourescent bulbs, but bought that monster LED bulb. I thought the LED bulbs were VERY expensive. Am I missing something?
John

41 - 60 of 99 Posts