Saturn Sky Forum banner
61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
I'm surprised that you haven't bought any compact flourescent bulbs, but bought that monster LED bulb. I thought the LED bulbs were VERY expensive. Am I missing something?
John
Depends on where you buy them. I actually bought a half dozen from a company in China for about $8 each and shipping was about $1.50 per, still reasonable considering what they sell for stateside. My electric bill went down about 10%. The bulb in the picture is about 5.5" stem to stern and about 1 3/4" in diameter; pretty darn close to the size bulb it replaced. It's also a warm white in lieu of the bright that white most LED's give off. A quick search of eBay produced a lot of bulbs at varying prices.

led bulb 110v | eBay

SP

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
i looked for one of those a while back and i think it was $50 for a high quality one but id rather pay $10 for a cheap one if it works lol.

on a side note i fixed my fast blinking turn signal! the wire broke off of the resistor when i installed it. soldered it back on, shrink wrapped it, and now were back in business! :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought these switchback leds, but in my car don't lights white, only lights amber when I use the turn signal, I tried to flip the led but then didn't work anything.
Anyone know what can I do?

·
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I bought these switchback leds, but in my car don't lights white, only lights amber when I use the turn signal, I tried to flip the led but then didn't work anything.
Anyone know what can I do?
You need the Super Duper knowledgeable Tomato Soup to charm in...
I have almost the same problem, I get the white light to turn on and blink when I move (Up/Down) the turn signal lever on the steering wheel column, no amber lights up at all.....

Calling Mr TS......

·
Registered
23 Posts
You need the Super Duper knowledgeable Tomato Soup to charm in...
I have almost the same problem, I get the white light to turn on and blink when I move (Up/Down) the turn signal lever on the steering wheel column, no amber lights up at all.....

Calling Mr TS......
At least you have white light on always, maybe the LEDS that you have are different, because I have saw 2 type of connector CK o normal wiring. What type of leds do you have?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Calling Mr TS......
I think this is an Opel GT wiring issue - they work differently to our cars here, but I don't know the details of those differences. 2GT had raised this in another post and has had a response there.

TomatoSoup crawls back to the Bat Cave.

·
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
I think this is an Opel GT wiring issue - they work differently to our cars here, but I don't know the details of those differences. 2GT had raised this in another post and has had a response there.

TomatoSoup crawls back to the Bat Cave.
At least you have white light on always, maybe the LEDS that you have are different, because I have saw 2 type of connector CK o normal wiring. What type of leds do you have?
TS- I haven't really looked into the problem yet. Might be that I have the side and front amber lights blinking at different time from each other modification....
When we need you look for the big TS up in the Sky.....

2GT - I have the 3157 3057 4157 High Power Switchback LED Turn Signal Lights Bulbs.

Here is a link from whom I bought them from.... eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

·
Registered
103 Posts
Any chance you might re-post the pictures?

Installing LED’s on a Saturn Sky Tail Lights
This write up is self explanatory, just follow the pictures.
It’s a very easy process, I’ll give it a 3 Hammer Job…. 1 Hammer Very Easy - 10 Hammers Very Difficult.
The reason I gave it 3 Hammers, Removing of the tail lights could be a PITA and can cause damage to the fixture lens or surface on the Bumper Cover… Be very careful!!!
Pull at about 20 degrees Upwards towards you if standing in front of the fixture while pulling. Give it a good yank while holding each corner of the fixture. Do not let the fixture tilt to one side while pulling that’s when the damage occurs. Ware surgical clove for a better grip… But first before you pull, remove two (2) 7MM screws from the top of the fixture inside the trunk area…. Good-Luck!!!
Saw these pics a while back. They were really helpful. I'd like to take this project on, but only if I can follow your model.
Thanks

·
Registered
131 Posts
I read through this thread and noticed a couple posts with guys wanting to use or using load resistors on their lights for the brake portion. You dont need to. Load resistors are only needed for the turn signals and thats it. If you had to use load resistors everytime you wanted to change an incandescant out with an led bulb, that would get tedious and probably not worth the switch price wise.

And marvic, if you did the sidemarker flash mod, that might be your issue. The signal might be too low to turn the amber portion of the flasher on because the side light is using that wire for its ability to flash. Im guessing the reason this doesnt effect a normal bulb is because it goes through a filament so it still heats up. It doesnt have to go through the circutry neede to make switchback work the way it does.

So the fact that your lights do flash and not just stay on white say theyre getting the proper signals from the socket, just something is a miss and it might be the sidemarker mod. Quick check is just unplug the sidemarkers. So you dont have to undo any wiring.

·
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
And marvic, if you did the sidemarker flash mod, that might be your issue. The signal might be too low to turn the amber portion of the flasher on because the side light is using that wire for its ability to flash. Im guessing the reason this doesnt effect a normal bulb is because it goes through a filament so it still heats up. It doesnt have to go through the circutry neede to make switchback work the way it does.

So the fact that your lights do flash and not just stay on white say theyre getting the proper signals from the socket, just something is a miss and it might be the sidemarker mod. Quick check is just unplug the sidemarkers. So you dont have to undo any wiring.
Today I redid the wiring back to OEM (remove the "Side-Marker-Flash" Mod) and still the amber did not light up on the White/Amber LEDs bulb...
The white LEDs stay on constantly then blinks (white LEDs only) when the turn signal lever is used, no amber.. When I hit my Key Fob to lock the car the amber blinks. It also blinks amber (No White LED) when I open the trunk using the key fob... Strange!
Any Ideas?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Today I redid the wiring back to OEM (remove the "Side-Marker-Flash" Mod) and still the amber did not light up on the White/Amber LEDs bulb...
The white LEDs stay on constantly then blinks (white LEDs only) when the turn signal lever is used, no amber.. When I hit my Key Fob to lock the car the amber blinks. It also blinks amber (No White LED) when I open the trunk using the key fob... Strange!
Any Ideas?
That is strange and Im stumped. Do normal bulbs work? Thats the only other thing i can see testing. Just remove the load resistors first. If normal incandescant bulbs work fine, it could just be the bulbs youre trying to use. :confused:

·
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
That is strange and Im stumped. Do normal bulbs work? Thats the only other thing i can see testing. Just remove the load resistors first. If normal incandescant bulbs work fine, it could just be the bulbs youre trying to use. :confused:
I'm thinking of converting back to the OEM way at the front turn signal locations... Now to look for some nice bulbs for that area, any idea or recommendations? (Needs to be incandescent)
Thanks! :cheers:

·
Registered
23 Posts
2GT - I have the 3157 3057 4157 High Power Switchback LED Turn Signal Lights Bulbs.
This video shows you the different socket between CK or standard

Maybe this is your problem....

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
I'm thinking of converting back to the OEM way at the front turn signal locations... Now to look for some nice bulbs for that area, any idea or recommendations? (Needs to be incandescent)
Thanks! :cheers:
I've seen some bulbs that look white/clear when they're off and amber when there're on if that's a look you'd go for.
Our stock bulbs look amber when off.

·
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
I deleted my SKY folder on my Photo-Bucket account by mistake a week ago and lost all related SKYROADSTER.COM pictures...
Some members have PM me for the tail lights LED install pictures that were on this thread..
This was not easy but the pictures for this write-up (Saturn Sky LED Tail lights) are up again for viewing, starting with post # 2 - 5.... enjoy!

·
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
:wtf: A year and a half and still I can't get the amber to light up on the front turn signal switchback LED's only the white stays on!!! :banghead:

·
Registered
18,497 Posts
:wtf: A year and a half and still I can't get the amber to light up on the front turn signal switchback LED's only the white stays on!!! :banghead:
I believe you need a relay for that...I forgot how it works. I had the answer about 2 months ago and forgot it...but that is my educated guess. It has to be a five pole relay...four will not work, if I remember correctly. I had ordered a similiar bulb but because of the other mod I did...got tired of putting in all these relays so I did not persue this. I do have the model number of the relay...I believe I even posted it regarding that turn signal thread.

61 - 80 of 99 Posts