Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the factory chrome wheels differ between 07 08 and 09? I’m looking to upgrade 2 on my 09’ that have curb rash and it’s unclear to me if they changed style between the model years.

Any leads on a pair are appreciated. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,552 Posts
There was a change to the Solstice wheel during 2009, but I have not heard about a change to the Sky wheel. Not that that means anything.

Have you tried car-part.com ?

·
Premium Member
5,277 Posts
Where are you located. I have several sets of chrome wheels, all in very good to excellent like new condition. But shipping wheels across country is not cost saving. If you are near SoCal I can make you a great price on them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am in Colorado.
I have seen on some websites that sell reconditioned wheels that there are different part numbers for different years, but looking at the pictures, they all looked the same to me. I know they are all interchangeable between years, but since I only need 2, I want to be sure they’ll match.

·
Super Moderator
5,552 Posts
Depending on how OCD you are, you could put the new ones on one side and the old ones on the other. No one will ever notice that they are different.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That would probably bug me. Here's a pic of one of my 09' chrome wheels. I was hoping to find the GM part number so I can be sure I get the right match. Honestly, I can't see the difference between 07/08 and 09, but I'm sure side by side you can tell. What's confusing is with listings/ads, the 07/08 version says compatible with 07-10, while the few that I've found for 09 say compatible for 09-10. That doesn't make sense unless there's a size difference issue. Can someone tell me what exactly is different for the 09?
IMG_1314 (1).jpg
? Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I did some more digging, and here's what I've found as far as part #'s and what is supposed to be different:

Part No. 9597294, first generation, spokes tapered to rear integration (whatever that means). Discontinued.
Part No. 9597183, 2nd generation, spokes taper to hub. New still available from GM.

Both are code PD5, 5-spoke chrome.

I would love to see a side by side pic of the difference...it must be minor. Perhaps the depth of the second gen spokes are greater for improved strength, or less because they found some efficiency and reduced the depth/thickness of the spoke? From the front view, you would not see a difference, but wheels weights would change.

I need to pull one of my wheels, or try to use a mirror to read the part number cast on the back side of the wheel. I still would like to find 2 good used ones.

Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
So I did some more digging, and here's what I've found as far as part #'s and what is supposed to be different:

Part No. 9597294, first generation, spokes tapered to rear integration (whatever that means). Discontinued.
Part No. 9597183, 2nd generation, spokes taper to hub. New still available from GM.

Both are code PD5, 5-spoke chrome.

I would love to see a side by side pic of the difference...it must be minor. Perhaps the depth of the second gen spokes are greater for improved strength, or less because they found some efficiency and reduced the depth/thickness of the spoke? From the front view, you would not see a difference, but wheels weights would change.

I need to pull one of my wheels, or try to use a mirror to read the part number cast on the back side of the wheel. I still would like to find 2 good used ones.

Thanks!
Duane,

Im in Arvada and have an 2008 with the chrome rims. I also have 2 with curb rash. Which I have on my to get list.
if you want to meet up after the snow is gone PM me

·
Premium Member
5,277 Posts
Hey Duane,

I am sure I have the wheels you need. I am coming to western Colorado the end of April. Doing some mountain biking in the four corners area. I could bring them with me at that time. Shipping wheels is a hard deal to accomplish. Need the right box, and it could leave here perfect and get banged around in shipping. I just don't like getting involved with shipping parts. I have tons of them, but never ship them unless it is an easy box and mail. Let me know if meeting in Durango or Cortez would work for you. Might get as far north as Gunnison, but weather will be the deciding factor on that.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@skersfan - I would be able to meet if the date works out and I can take off work. Durango is about 6 hours one way from me, Gunnison is about 3 hours, so I like the Gunnison option much better. PM me with with your trip details once you know. Hopefully we can work something out. I definitely appreciate the offer!

@Nasher - It would be good to meet a fellow Sky owner. My wife said no highway trips with the Sky until we get new tires (still have the originals on it), and I’m holding off on that until I can locate 2 replacement wheels. Let’s keep in touch.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There is a change in the 2009 sky wheels. The ones shown above are 07, 08 wheels. 09 the bars that meet the outer rim are a triangular shape
So in my pic above, I have the 08' version? My car is an 09', but the door sticker says it was manufactured in 9/08'. On one of my wheels, I was able to see a part # 959635, 7046, date of 05/08'.

Would love to see a side by side pic of the change.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
So in my pic above, I have the 08' version? My car is an 09', but the door sticker says it was manufactured in 9/08'. On one of my wheels, I was able to see a part # 959635, 7046, date of 05/08'.
Model year 2009 started production in mid-June 2008, just for what it's worth.

·
Super Moderator
5,552 Posts
Top is 07/08. Bottom is 09. Difference is at the end of the spokes
Nice picture, and a very graphic display of quite a subtle difference.
It took a minute to see that it was split, and i almost asked if you missed one of the pictures. Glad i looked twice.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts