Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
March 20, 2006

Some Saturn dealers are jacking up the price of the hot new Sky sports car, adding as much as $3,000 to the suggested retail price. Saturn dealers usually charge prices lower than the MSRP in order to unload their slow-selling inventory, but not so with the Sky. This may be the first time Saturn has charged a premium for one of its cars.

saturn skyA company spokesman insists that the price gouging does not violate Saturn’s "no-haggle" pricing policy since every customer is, basically, gouged by the same amount.

Dealers have no obligation to charge the sticker price as many people looking at the Saturn Sky are now discovering. Most Saturn customers had assumed that the Saturn policy of "no-haggle pricing" meant that customers would always be charged the vehicle's sticker price.

Saturn corporate officials are aware that some dealers are charging premiums on the Sky but the insist it is Saturn corporate policy to frown on the practice.

Nevertheless, retailers are free to set their own prices even though the company "always highly encourages our retailers not to sell above the MSRP," according to the spokesman.

News of the sticker premium is not sitting well with Saturn's most loyal customers. On the Saturn Fans Web site - www.saturnfans.com - 85 percent of votes cast in an online survey agreed that jacking up the Sky's price violates Saturn's customer-friendly image.

Charging a premium over the manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) for a popular car, especially one that's in short supply is a common practice at car dealerships throughout the automobile industry.

Chevrolet dealers are charging a $15,000 market adjustment premium for the blindingly fast new Corvette Z06, raising the selling price for the quickest Corvette ever from an MSRP of roughly $64,000 to $79,000 adjusted price.

The Toyota Prius, BMW Mini Cooper and Chrysler PT Cruiser are among recent vehicles that were marked up from their sticker price because of high initial demand.

The Sky is based on the same vehicle design as the Pontiac Solstice sports car. Saturn plans to make fewer than 10,000 Skys however.:nono:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi everyone. Not gone yet and still like reading about everyone getting their babies (even if I have to wait a few years now!) What I am hearing isnt so much about mark-ups is that if you are trading in a car you wont get a very good trade in amount and in a lot of cases if you have a current loan you won't even get pay off for it. I know a friend that just bought a new Ford Mustang with this very issue. The dealer didn't go over MSRP, they just wouldnt bargain at all with the trade in, only giving minimal trade in. Not much different if you ask me. Lower the trade in or charge over MSRP. It still adds up to paying more than is fair..

Just one of those thoughts keeping me up at night..

Okay back to reading, I have three days to read now that I am finally able to look at everyone getting their baby except me without crying..
:confused:
Kimmi

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have found in the past that if you have a CarMax near you, take your car there and sell it to them without buying one of their cars. I've done this twice now and both times have walked away with $1000 more than what the dealer was going to give me for a trade-in.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just pointing out that even if Saturn is suppose to be a no haggel pricing they really arent that diffierent than any other dealer as they do "haggel" over the amount of trade in credit you will get and that the amount of "haggel" will be much less for a car in such demand as the Sky.
:) kimmi

1 - 6 of 6 Posts