Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a Sky Red Line on Saturday with the hopes of purchasing this car. I have always wanted this car. My mechanic brought up a good point though about finding parts should something break. I am asking this forum if that is a problem and should that negate my buying this car? thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,268 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Body parts are the biggest problem, especially weatherseals like the one between the windshield frame and the top. If you bend something you are almost certainly going to be looking for salvage parts, although some are occasioanlly available new.

Mechanically you shouldn't have any real problem. The bulk of the mechanical parts are common with other platforms and, unless you are racing it, (and maybe even if you are) the cars in general are quite reliable.

·
Super Moderator
11,186 Posts
Like John mentioned, the rubber seals are probably the hardest to find. Next I'd say would be tops and front bumpers. Beyond that, front fenders are available from aftermarket supplies and most of the other body panels can be found or repaired if there are problems with them. Suspension arms are also getting harder to come by.

Other than that, I think most of the parts on the car are easy to find. Engine and drivetrain components are shared by other platforms and are well supported in the aftermarket. I just built an entire engine from brand new parts. It's a zero mile 2.4 powerplant and all the parts on it were brand new except the body of the head itself (though a lot of them were aftermarket). Things like interior pieces and controls are fairly robust and don't suffer from failures all that often.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
"Things like interior pieces and controls are fairly robust and don't suffer from failures all that often."

Ding dong. Someone's at your door.
?

·
Super Moderator
5,268 Posts
Tops are a matter of cost rather than availability unles you damage the frame. The estimate I saw for the new canvas, removal, and replacement was $2,200.

·
Super Moderator
5,268 Posts
150K miles and my original cup holder is still in one piece. Even painted it.
Cupholders and door handles are similar. Their designs were marginally adequate and they see varying amounts of use, varying degrees of stress, and have varying quality of manufacturer. Some break when they maybe shouldn't, and some stay intact when they probably should be expected to break. One of mine is still intact after 105k miles of frequent but reasonably careful use. The other was broken when I got it at 65k miles.

·
Super Moderator
11,186 Posts
Yea my door handle was good until I took off the door panel and was putting it back in. The pin slid just enough to break the handle when I pulled on it (interior handle). Exteriors were fine but I wanted to paint them so upgraded to the reinforced black Cobalt handles. It is all just luck.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Yeah, I forgot about the door handles. My passenger side broke three or four years ago with about 20,000 miles on the car...most of which was me driving alone.

And the door sill metal strip.

And the radio faceplate that scratches in a light breeze.

And the trunk release cable.

And the charge-air hose clamps that leak.

I've always believed that the Kappas were ground-breaking cars in terms of the performance/cost ratio. At the time, the Kappa 2.0 Ecotec was the highest per-liter output motor GM had ever put into a production car. And mechanically they are very solid.

But in classic GM form, they cheaped out in ways that frustrate owners and that wouldn't have added much cost to do right in the first place...it's mostly little stuff, but little stuff that's annoying as hell.

·
Super Moderator
5,268 Posts
Yeah, I forgot about the door handles. My passenger side broke three or four years ago with about 20,000 miles on the car...most of which was me driving alone.

And the door sill metal strip.

And the radio faceplate that scratches in a light breeze.

And the trunk release cable.

And the charge-air hose clamps that leak.

I've always believed that the Kappas were ground-breaking cars in terms of the performance/cost ratio. At the time, the Kappa 2.0 Ecotec was the highest per-liter output motor GM had ever put into a production car. And mechanically they are very solid.

But in classic GM form, they cheaped out in ways that frustrate owners and that wouldn't have added much cost to do right in the first place...it's mostly little stuff, but little stuff that's annoying as hell.
You are making me feel really, really lucky, since I haven't had any of those problems.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I bought Cobalt external handles when breakage was an issue early on, but haven't needed them yet (which is good because I am not sure where they are).

I had the doorsill issue - had one replaced under warranty and no problem with the other one.

Had the valves fitted in the heater hoses when mine turned out to be one of the ones that had intermittent spontaneous overheating and no problems since.

I don't think that many of the things (except the passenger seat sensor) amount to anything to worry about - just the normal things that go wrong with any machine with as many working parts as cars today. Same sort of stuff happens with BMWs and Mercedes - it just isn't as cheap to fix.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Yeah, now that they have come down to $1.89 (or some such) from $800 Can. (I am not kidding!)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Where do you find those aluminum "Saturn" door sill strips? Are they still available thru a GM dealer or GMPartsDirect ?

·
Registered
757 Posts
I also have two of those valves that cost $15 each, but I also dont know where they are. I repaired the right door handle with JB weld and a year later its still working. The nice thing about the body panels is that if you dont ding them too bad they will pop right out. My wife dinged the front fender with a 4" diameter 2" deep ding and the side of my fist on the inside popped it out. She cried all day over that till she finally confessed to it and I fixed it in 10 minutes. it was endearing to me in that it told me she had never told me a lie in 60 years of marriage as I had never seen her so torn up about anything. And it wasnt really a lie, she just hadnt told me about it but she called it a lie and cried all day for being deceptive. Great memory now that she is gone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts