Saturn Sky Forum banner

Saturn Sky will be faster than BMW Z4

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  ho2go 
#1 ·
Well, at least the new 2.0i version :)

The new BMW Z4 2.0i Roadster
BMW is pleased to announce the arrival of the Z4 2.0i Roadster, a new entry-level model for the two-seater, open top sports car. Powered by a 150bhp engine, the new car is the first Z4 to be fitted with the lightweight four-cylinder powerplant built at Hams Hall in Warwickshire. The 1,995cc unit propels the Z4 from zero to 62mph in 8.2 seconds before going on to a top speed of 136mph. Torque is 200Nm at 3,600rpm.

#3 ·
SkyHawk said:
Well, at least the new 2.0i version :)

The new BMW Z4 2.0i Roadster
BMW is pleased to announce the arrival of the Z4 2.0i Roadster, a new entry-level model for the two-seater, open top sports car. Powered by a 150bhp engine, the new car is the first Z4 to be fitted with the lightweight four-cylinder powerplant built at Hams Hall in Warwickshire. The 1,995cc unit propels the Z4 from zero to 62mph in 8.2 seconds before going on to a top speed of 136mph. Torque is 200Nm at 3,600rpm.
Oooh, very interesting. Is this Europe-only or will it be available in the US? I wonder if this is in place of the Z2 roadster I've heard about or if the Z4 2.0i is to take the place of the Z2. Do you have a link/source for us?

#4 ·
Did a quick search online. Found an article about the Z4 2.0i in German if anyone wants to translate:

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e85/6171301-1.html

Babelfish gave a crude German-to-English translation of the last sentence:

"Production starts the first vehicles in April and in the middle of May in Europe and Asia is delivered."

:confused: So perhaps the Z4 2.0i will not come to North America (at least not yet)?

#5 ·
brentil said:
Have they given any pricing yet on the Z4 2.0i?
No, but if it does come here (to North America), I assume it will be no more than $3 - $4K below a 2.5i (which still puts it at GT $30K USD) and that is without options which can easily add $5 - $10K to the price..

#6 ·
SkyHawk said:
No, but if it does come here (to North America), I assume it will be no more than $3 - $4K below a 2.5i (which still puts it at GT $30K USD) and that is without options which can easily add $5 - $10K to the price..
Probably wont arrive till after the 2 series arrievs here.

#7 ·
My guess is that BMW North America will not want to see a 150HP BMW badged roadster on the road as it will cheapen the brand..

#9 ·
SkyHawk said:
My guess is that BMW North America will not want to see a 150HP BMW badged roadster on the road as it will cheapen the brand..
I agree. The original Z3 roadster initially had a small 4 banger as its base engine, and the press was not all that kind to it. Especially after 6 cylinder versions showed up. They finally dropped the 4 banger some years ago due to low sales. I doubt it will come back. It has to be a fuel economy leader for the Euro market.

#10 ·
Did a little research and came up with the following prices.

BMW Z4 2.5i $34,300
BMW Z4 2.2i $30,920 (estimated)
BMW Z4 2.0i $29,885 (estimated)

I was able to find the 2.0i would be 1000 Euro less then the 2.2i, and the 2.2i prices were easy enough to find in several Euro regions. Finding the percentage differences lead to this.

SkyHawk said:
I have to agree and disagree at the same time with you. It's been the habbit of car companies like Porsche and BMW to not waiver on their high priced standings and design. Unfortunately I don't think we'll see Porsche debute a <$30k car anytime soon, however BMW is begining to branch into the lower segments. You can get your hands on a BMW 1 series in Euro regions for 15,690 pounds, that's about what the Vauxhall Tigra costs, and it's a small cheap car. I think by skipping the Z4 2.2i all together in the States they can create a great enough product differentiation via power differences with the 2.5i and the 2.0i, and a $5000 price difference too. That would put it near the price range of a fully loaded Sky RL and a fully loaded new NC MS Miata. Yes both of those would have far more power, but they're not 'BMW.'

#11 ·
SCCA HP Racer said:
My German sucks...but...

Babelfish is close. It says it will start production in April and the first vehicles will be delivered to Europe and Asia in May.

correct me if i'm wrong, but the BMW 320 is only a Canadian thing right? I don't think you Yanks like small engines...

#13 ·
brentil said:
BMW is begining to branch into the lower segments. You can get your hands on a BMW 1 series in Euro regions for 15,690 pounds, that's about what the Vauxhall Tigra costs, and it's a small cheap car. I think by skipping the Z4 2.2i all together in the States they can create a great enough product differentiation via power differences with the 2.5i and the 2.0i, and a $5000 price difference too.
I agree that BMW's branching into lower segments but as you mentioned it's via the 1- and 2-Series. SkyHawk's right IMO - they wouldn't "cheapen" the Z4's image in the States by offering the 2.0i. The last thing the Z4 (or BMW) needs right now is more controversy & ruffled feathers from the press! But Z4 sales have tanked this past year so ya never know... lol

Rondosa said:
correct me if i'm wrong, but the BMW 320 is only a Canadian thing right?
Yes, you're absolutely right. The 320i is available in Canada but not the US. I believe it only comes in the 4-door sedan body style (whereas the 2-door Coupe range starts at the 325 in Canada).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.