Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Saturnmotorsports Dual Filter CAI arrived Wednesday afternoon and I installed it myself (unassisted) this morning. I reset my MPG calculator about 100 miles ago and have been driving around town as normal to establish a baseline for comparison after the CAI installation.

Installation took about an hour, but mostly because there is one air box mounting screw that is darned near inaccessible under the brake lines and the bolts on the hose clamps are WAY too long and take forever to tighten if you don't have the recommended 11mm deep socket (Sears was out). Clean up time then the field test begins.

Early data is showing about a 9-10% increase in MPG in around town driving. And it certainly sounds much throatier now. The car seems to run quieter and with less effort at cruising speeds now. Floor it though, and it roars. You can definitely feel the difference that 10-11 wheel HP makes.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Glad you got it. I was very happy with the improvement I had in my Sky with a CAI... It makes it even more fun to drive.:cheers:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Little unhappy

I just got home and went straight to work installing the twin CAI.:cool: I opened up the box and inspected the pieces and everything was great until I noticed the welding on the "Y" pipe. :eek: On the inside there was a lot of flash left from the weld around the pipe. See the pictures I attached. So after a few minutes with the die grinder and polishing wheels the tube was to were it should have been. The install didn't take to long but I decided not to use the existing bolt to mount the rubber vibration mount but the hole just to the drivers side. This gave the filters a little bit more of a balanced look between frame rails and a little more pipe in the hoses. I spent extra time lining the pipes up for good clearance between the radiator ducting, engine cover and the hood so nothing should ever rub.
There are only three things that I saw that deduct from this great product. #1 The welds are poor. The mount for the mass air flow sensor has a heavy looking weld on the outside but from the inside I could not see any weld penetration into the tube at all. As is with the "Y" pipe mount but on the other end there was all the slag left from over penetration.
#2 The single point mount between the filters lets the them flop around to much IMHO. They could have used the two original air box mounts and made a "V" down to the front mount that is used.
#3 Lack of information on how to care for the filters. Even the website just says to use a good aftermarket filter cleaner.
Over all the product is good. The packaging was good, no damaged pieces. The installation instructions were easy enough for anyone to follow. Parts fit well together and look better than any others available. Sounds good and seems to give a boost in HP.

Attachments

·
Registered
877 Posts
Good info, thanks....

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
You would think that at a 400.00 price tag, the welds would be up to par.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got home and went straight to work installing the twin CAI.:cool:
How's your horn working after relocating it? I had to do a bit of custom bending on the horn mounting bracket. The horn was coming in contact with part of the hood when it closed and was being muted a bit since it couldn't resonate properly. I had to bend the bracket to get it in front of the old mounting bolt so the horn would be low enough not to contact the hood.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Question to everyone that has the Saturnmotorsport twin horn CAI

I'm getting my SKY in the next couple of weeks and would like to put in a quad exhaust and a twin horn CAI. The shop I will get the work done from says it would be best to wait for the magnaflow SKY quad 16664 as it won't need adjusting. As for the twin horn CAI he figures it will be very noisy and I won't like it. He put something similar in one of his cars and his wife didn't like the noise it made. For those of you that have installed the twin horn can you let me know if it is noisy.

thanks

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm getting my SKY in the next couple of weeks and would like to put in a quad exhaust and a twin horn CAI. The shop I will get the work done from says it would be best to wait for the magnaflow SKY quad 16664 as it won't need adjusting. As for the twin horn CAI he figures it will be very noisy and I won't like it. He put something similar in one of his cars and his wife didn't like the noise it made. For those of you that have installed the twin horn can you let me know if it is noisy.

thanks
It's only noisy when you floor it, and it's not objectionably noisy.

·
Registered
386 Posts
It's only noisy when you floor it, and it's not objectionably noisy.
I wish I could hear the noise. Here in BC we only have four SKY's and I don't think anyone has done any mods so my shop is really excited about doing some work on one. But he is really concerned me being a girl would think it is way to noisy.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Howdy guys,

Whether installing the twin CAI or the single, if it is a DIY job, does it effect your warranty in any way?? AND 2, the items you guys added are they saturn parts (accessories) or 3rd party items? IF 3rd party does that effect warranty?? Thanks for any info--A Sky owner seriously considering the upgrade--

MB

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Howdy guys,

Whether installing the twin CAI or the single, if it is a DIY job, does it effect your warranty in any way?? AND 2, the items you guys added are they saturn parts (accessories) or 3rd party items? IF 3rd party does that effect warranty?? Thanks for any info--A Sky owner seriously considering the upgrade--

MB
They would only affect the warranty if it could be proven that they were the cause of any particular warranty claim. About the only thing that could go wrong with a CAI is the intake of a fairly good amount of water resulting in catastrophic damage to the engine (hydro lock). Not likely to happen unless you drive your car into a lake or something.

Warranty claims for stuff like your transmission or even engine problems NOT DIRECTLY CAUSED BY A MODIFICATION are not affected.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
They would only affect the warranty if it could be proven that they were the cause of any particular warranty claim. About the only thing that could go wrong with a CAI is the intake of a fairly good amount of water resulting in catastrophic damage to the engine (hydro lock). Not likely to happen unless you drive your car into a lake or something.

Warranty claims for stuff like your transmission or even engine problems NOT DIRECTLY CAUSED BY A MODIFICATION are not affected.
Okay, thanks for your reply, what about the first part of the question, is it OEM or 3rd party?? Makes a difference 2, lets say it is OEM and I let them do the install, (even tho I know I can do it) true I'll pay much more, BUT with the dealer install & purchase I would think preserves warranty no matter what happens, & who did what, that is why I asked--Thanks again, looking forward in meeting you on our little journey next month--
MB

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
#2 The single point mount between the filters lets the them flop around to much IMHO. They could have used the two original air box mounts and made a "V" down to the front mount that is used.

This was my only complaint. I sent back 3 GM single CAI's due to poor workmanship.
Did you do the installation? or dealer? since OEM your warranty should be 100% intact no matter who installed it or what might happen, right?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, thanks for your reply, what about the first part of the question, is it OEM or 3rd party?? Makes a difference 2, lets say it is OEM and I let them do the install, (even tho I know I can do it) true I'll pay much more, BUT with the dealer install & purchase I would think preserves warranty no matter what happens, & who did what, that is why I asked--Thanks again, looking forward in meeting you on our little journey next month--
MB
hmmmm... theoretically, if the dealer installs a GM part, it should be covered by warranty. But if you drive your car into the lake and it injests a bunch of water through the deal installed GM CAI, I think that they would probably not rebuild your engine under warranty.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
hmmmm... theoretically, if the dealer installs a GM part, it should be covered by warranty. But if you drive your car into the lake and it injests a bunch of water through the deal installed GM CAI, I think that they would probably not rebuild your engine under warranty.
LOL, your being funny right my friend? :lol: Well, I ain't planning on driving my baby into a lake or any other body of water hahaha, God forbid if that happens I'll have to order a new car any ways, (Probably an RL) so at that point it don't matter what air intake I have- :lol: -I think ima gonna like you, it appears you have a ahhh sour sense of humor--you n I are gonna git along just fine--:cheers:

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
LOL, your being funny right my friend? :lol: Well, I ain't planning on driving my baby into a lake or any other body of water hahaha, God forbid if that happens I'll have to order a new car any ways, (Probably an RL) so at that point it don't matter what air intake I have- :lol: -I think ima gonna like you, it appears you have a ahhh sour sense of humor--you n I are gonna git along just fine--:cheers:
Just my twisted way of saying that you've gotta consider the risk involved when deciding whether or not a modification will impact your warranty coverage.

There is little chance of a CAI causing damage to your engine.

Hope you make it to the Key Largo Cruise.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Skybright, the twin CAI does make a deep throaty noise when you floor it. Kinda like saying "Here I come, make way". But during normal driving in town you don't even know it is there. You are buying a sports car, it should sound like one, not a grocery getter. Besides there is room for only one shopping cart full as we have seen in other posts. Hahaha. Hope you get yours soon and enjoy it!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Skybright, the twin CAI does make a deep throaty noise when you floor it. Kinda like saying "Here I come, make way". But during normal driving in town you don't even know it is there. You are buying a sports car, it should sound like one, not a grocery getter. Besides there is room for only one shopping cart full as we have seen in other posts. Hahaha. Hope you get yours soon and enjoy it!
Thanks Sky Angel,
I think my mod shop owner doens't know what to think about me. It will be the first SKY he sees and to have a women have it modified to add quad muffler and twin CAI I think is scaring him. I did tell him if I don't like the noise I can always change it back. Like you all have said it only takes half an hour.

I wish someone would post a sound clip of how one sounds. Skies are very rare here so I'm sure no one in the lower mainland has done any mods yet. So I will be the first to experiment. OH YEAH I have to get the car first! Can't wait!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts