Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :mad: :mad: :mad: :willy: Soooo upset. Got my Sky on Tuesday evening... have been driving it around pretty much nonstop since then, decided to drive out to out to my boyfriend's (approximately 1 hour drive) this evening so his parents could see it and everything. Took them each for a drive... then we all decided to go to dinner, my boyfriend and I hopped in the Sky and his parents led the way in their car... we ate dinner then my boyfriend and I went cruising around for about 30-40 minutes afterwards. About 10:00 tonight I decided to leave his house so I went outside and got in the Sky, big smile on my face, top down, ready to roll.... pulled out of his drive and onto his street and kept hearing a noise like I was running over something :cryin: so I went around the block and came back to his house. He came out with a flashlight and sure enough there was a nice big screw/bolt stuck in the passenger rear tire of my brand new Sky :brentil: Pulled it in his garage and had my dad come and pick me up and bring me home... Jon (my bf) is going to take it to be repaired tomorrow. I can't believe it though, I've been driving for years and have probably driven 20 different cars (not all mine, but I drive my friends cars, etc.) and never ever got a nail or anything... have the Sky for about 48 hours and what do you know?!?! Luckily I got a one year membership to this Road America club when I purchased the Sky as a bonus, I'm not sure if it was just somethng my dealer does or if it's an all-of-Saturn thing, but they offer a tire hazard reimbursement up to $250 (looked up the Sky tires online and they run about $225 apparently) so hopefully I should be covered -- the bad thing is that the car has to come to the dealer for repair and my boyfriend's house is about 45 minutes from my dealer and the car really shouldn't be driven on the highway in this condition *sigh*... I'll keep you all updated, just needed to vent. Don't have a clue where I picked up the screw though, just lucky I guess. :banghead:

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Sorry to hear it, get her fixed and back on the road as soon as you can. Take care and will await the final outcome.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hate it for ya'. Stuff happens thou. Hopefully it was just one of those things that happens. Get her fixed and back on the road. The frustration will become a dim memory - but I'll bet you'll check the tires before you drive off! :D

:cheers:

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had the same exact problem -- within a week of getting my Sky whadayaknow but a nail gets in the tire! Augh!

Luckliy, same as you, I had the tire/road hazard warranty. :-D

It's almost like they are out their waiting for our tires...they like the Sky so much. LOL

·
Registered
574 Posts
I can feel your pain.....

Hasnt happened on the Sky yet...but when we had our Durango (which also had spendy tires) it happened four times! At $235 a pop! The attraction of road hazards to our tires seems to be directionally proportional to the cost of repair.....thats just my theory...I hope I'm wrong......And I hope you are on the road soon! :thumbs:

·
Registered
54 Posts
:confused: I think it is your boyfriends fault !!!!!!!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Maybe.....Your BF did it thinking you would have to spend the night! :eek: Yes, The boyfriend did it, with the screw, in the drive way! (I use to love the game clue)!:thumbs:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yeah, this seems to happen to the people who least deserve it, well .. nobody deserves it. I got my car back from the body shop after sitting in there for almost 2 months a few weeks ago and last week I got a flat tire also, ran over something sharp. Seeing how I'm running low profiles, no warranty and $145.00 to replace and remount/balance

Don't you have a spare tire? Even if its a donut to at least just get it to Saturn.

·
Registered
92 Posts
GeneralPatton said:
Don't you have a spare tire? Even if its a donut to at least just get it to Saturn.

No spare on the Sky. :banghead:

·
Registered
130 Posts
lorinee said:
No spare on the Sky. :banghead:
Ouch, that stinks. I was actually planning to use my spare tire well for my subwoofers area, glad I didnt once I got my flat... Its one of those things that you really never think of till it happens.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
OnStar

I think the new Sky owners are missing the point with the OnStar, that is what the safe and sound package is for. OnStar will pay to have your car towed if it does not have a spare. All you had to do was hit the little blue button and talk to a OnStar advisor. OnStar will send someone out to fix the flat so you do not break a nail, that is what the 200 dollars a year covers for OnStar and its free for one year on all Sky’s. They also come to your rescue if you run out of gas which is a very lame thing to do but it happens. Please read your OnStar booklet for all your coverage use it or lose it.

TulsaSky

·
Registered
994 Posts
Good point, Tulsasky! I would actually be interested to hear if anyone has used the fancy fix-a-flat system.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not sure if OnStar would've done me any good in this situation -- it was about 10:00pm and I was already at his house and I would feel better about my car spending the night in his garage. It wasn't an actual flat tire, but it had a screw in it and probably would've gone flat eventually. The tire repair place was like one block from his house so he just drove it there this morning very slowly, no big deal. I just wonder if whoever OnStar sent out there would've actually been able to do anything with this tire because apparently they are "special order only" tires at all the places in my area... so I doubt if they would've had one on hand, especially at 10:00pm. The guy at the tire place said that it could be patched but it would have to be replaced very soon so I decided to just get the new one now... oh well. I called several places but luckily one right by his house had one spare of the Sky tires in stock because someone ordered a set of 5 (4 and 1 to keep as a spare) and decided not to take the 5th one after all. Lucky break. I kept the old tire and as I was loading it into the trunk (of another car, not like it would fit in the Sky... haha) I noticed there was also a nail stuck in it! So I had a screw/bolt AND a nail. *sigh* At least it was able to be replaced soon without me having to wait the 1-2 weeks special order time. Just a heads up to everyone that you may want to purchase a spare tire or two to have on hand because if you do get a flat or something you will most likely have to special order a replacement tire... God forbid!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry, forgot to add in one detail there... I called the Road America warranty people this morning at 7am when they opened and they told me that the woman I spoke to last evening who said the car had to go to the dealer was wrong, that I could actually take it anywhere I wanted as long as I got a reciept so they could reimburse me. But if it did have to go all the way to the dealer than the OnStar towing/roadside assistance would've been the way to go I believe.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, one more thing -- just in case anyone is wondering, the cost for the replacement tire at NBT (National Tire and Battery I believe is what it stands for) was $248, then a $34 alignment package... total with tax and everything was $308! So take care of those tires, kids -- they ain't cheap. haha

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Sparkle,
Please get out your OnStar and at least read what services it does offer. Your Road America has already contradicted themselves once do you really want to take what the last person said as the whole truth? Sounds like you did the right thing and your back on the road again.

TulsaSky

1 - 16 of 16 Posts