Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Finally, someone with a real perspective on the manual top:

What are all the complaints about the Saturn Sky’s convertible top? “I have to get out of the car.” Obviously the whiners have no memory of British roadsters of olde, back when one put the top down in April and it stayed down until October (more or less, depending on your latitude, of course). We found it easy enough to pop the top down to a two mile jaunt to the supermarket. It’s not that hard, folks. Anyone who can’t deal with it really doesn’t deserve a roadster.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Seems like a fair review, even though I still prefer the sharper lines of the Sky to the curves of the Sol.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
SkyHighinTX said:
Seems like a fair review, even though I still prefer the sharper lines of the Sky to the curves of the Sol.
My favorite part of the review was on that very subject:

"Some are into Madonna’s spikey bras, others like the soft contours of an angora sweater… "

·
Registered
128 Posts
Heres a link for ya

I cant stand it when all people can do is complain about the top being so hard to put up and down on the sky, its almost like they cant find anything else to complain about so they pick the roof and how big of a hassle it is, heres a link of how it is to take the top off my delsol and how much easier it is to lower the top in the sky

http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6871

·
Registered
73 Posts
great perspective

reedred said:
My favorite part of the review was on that very subject:

"Some are into Madonna’s spikey bras, others like the soft contours of an angora sweater… "
beats the heck outta curvy vs angular rants...... funny !
agree about the top too.... if you can't let the top down or don't want the hassel..lol... there's plenty others to pick from . .....some people are going to fuss some are going to be happy.........human nature i guess..........
......i can even live without a trunk - no biggy.... but a spare ?? ..... just wish they'd figure out a stash for a donut !!.. nobody mentions that in any reviews ???..........guess fix a flat has come a long way !!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
here are some other reviews .... :)

Automobile Journal "Prepare to be surprised; I was! The all-new Saturn Sky Roadster is the real deal."

Automobile Magazine " And the choice largely does come down to design, because the Sky drives exactly like the Solstice."

autosite.com "...the Sky is a Solstice – for grown-ups."

AutoWeek "Pick a line, ease the wheel over and the Sky sets to it..."

AutoWeek "The Sky rides better than the Solstice and the steering feels better, too."

Car and Driver "The vibe, enhanced by the view forward of bat-wing fenders, is distinctly Corvette without the V-8 thunder."

carlist.com "And it's absolutely gorgeous."

cars.com "In terms of overall performance, the Sky's ride and handling are where it shines the brightest."

Chicago Tribune "Yet while the attraction with Sky...is the stunning looks, the shortcoming is that...performance falls short of expectations."

Cleveland Plain Dealer "These petty annoyances are largely forgotten on a challenging two-lane road, where the rear-wheel drive Solstice and Sky are delightful."

CNN.com Autos "But as a modern sports car, it doesn't make the big leagues."

Detroit News "For the most part, the Sky drives as good as it looks."

Forbes "It disheartens us to see such a gallant effort from a domestic automaker--the best Saturn ever, in fact--and still have to say "pass.""

Fort Worth Star-Telegram "On twisty Hill Country roads, this car really comes to life and enjoys itself."

Inside Line "Although the Sky costs a little more than the Pontiac, from behind the wheel it's worth it."

iZoom.com "It's rare for a car to look so good and perform so poorly on every front."

L.A. Splash "So it’s not that quick, but hey, neither were the original British two-seaters that created the class, MGBs and Triumphs."

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel "The standard Sky excels in roadster motoring..."

MotorWeek "The 2007 Sky is not only the coolest Saturn yet, it's one of the best looking roadsters ever to drive the American road."

New Car Test Drive "The Saturn Sky is a nice cruiser. It looks cool and sporty and would be a good commuter car."

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette "Driving the Sky is like heading your own parade."

Road & Track "If only the engine were as slick as the transmission."

St. Louis Post-Dispatch "This car is gorgeous to see, cool to be seen in, fun to drive and, at $23,690, affordable to buy."

The Car Connection "Overall, the Sky proved pleasantly predictable and easy to maneuver."

The Car Enthusiast "The Sky can produce the numbers; it just doesn't exhibit any joy in doing so."

The Truth About Cars "A final analysis of the SKY’s id finds two-thirds Corvette, one-third MX-5."

Tirekicking Today "Step on the gas pedal of an automatic-transmission Sky at 55 mph and you get a lot more sound than true fury."

Toronto Star "If it isn't quite the energizing drive that Miata is, it's a lot closer to it than Solstice, and that's movement in the right direction."

conclusion ... I want my SKY Red Line ...
as I mentioned before, a gal who owns and loves her SKY said with the top up she and her mum got two full shopping carts of groceries in with no problem. She also flips her top up and down with no problem and within seconds ... almost milliseconds! :thumbs:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ok, having previously owned a British POS, ah MGB, I can attest to the statements bout the top... So, from what limited experience i have had driving the dealer nuts.. (short walk i am betting..) The Sky still isnt that bad...

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
GetAboutRL said:
as I mentioned before, a gal who owns and loves her SKY said with the top up she and her mum got two full shopping carts of groceries in with no problem. She also flips her top up and down with no problem and within seconds ... almost milliseconds! :thumbs:
What did they buy, marshmallows? I love my car, but this seems a bit hard to believe. Maybe if she abandoned her mother at the supermarket or took a rope with her and towed a cart home...

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Marshmallows ... :lol:

she might of had two of those small carts ... but she told me in front of her mum and her mum confirmed it.
So ... marshmallows or apples .. that is her story and she is sticking to it. :cheers:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
zzzybil said:
beats the heck outta curvy vs angular rants...... funny !
agree about the top too.... if you can't let the top down or don't want the hassel..lol... there's plenty others to pick from . .....some people are going to fuss some are going to be happy.........human nature i guess..........
......i can even live without a trunk - no biggy.... but a spare ?? ..... just wish they'd figure out a stash for a donut !!.. nobody mentions that in any reviews ???..........guess fix a flat has come a long way !!
Most people can't remember whan they last had a flat -- but can remember when they went grocery shopping last...

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
reedred said:
What did they buy, marshmallows? I love my car, but this seems a bit hard to believe. Maybe if she abandoned her mother at the supermarket or took a rope with her and towed a cart home...
Excuse me I get with the top up an overloaded cart of groceries and still have a little bit of room left over. ...Skip...No bs either.. Learn how to pack it. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's all in the packing! I just came home from a morning/afternoon of shopping and didn't have to return anything because it didn't fit in the car (with the top down)

Think outside the box and pack things in the nooks and crannies.

p.s. the crowd around the car in the parking lot when I walked up was quite a little rush. :D
what a head turner.

·
Registered
205 Posts
yea no room for spare so they give you stuff to fix the tire but nowadays do people actually fix their own tires? I mean theres onstar and AAA that will send someone do it.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
I love my Little Missy and Onstar is the cure for anything that ailes her. :thumbs:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,569 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
Most people can't remember whan they last had a flat -- but can remember when they went grocery shopping last...
I got to use the air compressor on Saturday for a flat tire... not mine mind you but a 34 year old Charger's drag slicks at the Spiedie Fest Car Show... while it did work, the tire/tube had a gash so at a certain point, as the air went in, it also went out... :rolleyes:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts