Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:banghead: hi can some members tell me about the seats. i had my sky for a month now and i sill get lower back pain when driving the car . do some of you have that problem. thank you.

·
Registered
804 Posts
mono01 said:
:banghead: hi can some members tell me about the seats. i had my sky for a month now and i sill get lower back pain when driving the car . do some of you have that problem. thank you.
Hmmm. I haven't had any problems there. I actually prefer the Sky seats to our leather mini-van seats.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Any Croropracters on this forum? I wood put a small pillow thingy behind yalls lumber next to tha tailbone....Skip...:cool: :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Have you dabbled with the "knob of power" it may help if you turn it so the pressure sits on the upper part of your back or vice versa!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I find the seats in my SKY more comfortable than my Caddy Eldorado.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
low back

I had a low back injury a few years ago - still have pain - still visit a chiropractor every month or so. I last drive my dad's Sky for about 45 highway miles - did not notice a problem - though there is not much room for adjustment or to move around.

My 96 Civic was okay when new - but after 10 years and 140,000 miles does not have quite as much support as it onece did - my 04 Civic is much better - but hopefully will be replaced by a Sky Red Line in December or early next year.

You can buy lumbar pillows - etc - but you might first wnat to try a trick I used - take a roll of paper towels and place that behind your lower back - it won't stay in place if you move around much - but you can remove some sheets to adjust the thickness - to get an idea if adding some kind of pillow woudl help and approximately how thick it should be.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I pulled a spot in my lower right back and I found that getting in and out of the Sky irritated it and slowed the healing. I didn't drive the Sky for a week (for other reason) and the back problem cleared up quickly. I don't think the Sky caused me any trouble, but maybe that movement of getting in and out made recovery harder.

·
Registered
141 Posts
What!?

jarcher said:
I didn't drive the Sky for a week
HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE?! :confused:

I think I may faint!

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I have lower back problems and the last time it flared up a couple of days later I spent most of the day in the Sky and my back felt better. I think they are great seats. More comfortable than most cars, they hug you.:)

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have driven my SKY non stop (except for gas) for 500 + miles no back problems. I think the seats are very comfortable

·
Registered
388 Posts
Skip said:
Any Croropracters on this forum? I wood put a small pillow thingy behind yalls lumber next to tha tailbone....Skip...:cool: :)
Here I am! Yes, I'm actually a Chiropractor. I actually follow my patients out to their cars and watch how they get in and out and then I adjust their seats if needed. They do sell thin lumbar/back supports designed for the car. They work great. Also a small towel rolled up if you don't want to spend the $$$. Maybe you should have your back checked out Mono1

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Interesting!!! The same topic popped up on the Solstice forum. Here was my 2 bits that I offered there;

I have had lower back "issues" for my entire adult life. The most severe instance caused me to require THREE preoperative injections of demerol before for the pain subsided. The doctor was amazed that I was still conscious! Much therapy after THAT episode.

I told you THAT to tell THIS. Earlier I had the second worst flair up was caused by the seat in a 1993 Ford Probe GT. It had an inflatable lumbar support and was pressing on my L4/5 area. I had driven the car 3 hours to an SCCA Divisional Autocross. The morning after arrival I was in so much pain that I had to get medical help. I missed the race. On the way home the pain returned in spades! After I recovered it occurred to me that as I drove the car it was hurting my back. I was able to remove the seatback cover (zippered) and found that the air bladder was attached with hooks. I removed it and never had the problem again with that car.

So - why did I tell you THOSE exciting stories? Because some people with lower back pain need support (pressure) on their lower back, and some (like me) can't have pressure. Hell, if my belt is hitched up too tight it is a problem. I drove a Sky twice (about 15 minutes each time) beofre ordering a Redline. I felt no problems, but only a l;ong drive will tell.

Once I do have some miles in the saddle I'll know if there is a problem. If there is I'll pull the seat and modify the foam. I have done that before at it has worked. SO study the problem to discover the cause. And, yes, riding on the wallet can be an issue.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
After driving a couple 4+ hour trips, I am doing fine in the driver's seat, but my wife is not doing as well in the passenger seat. My guess is that I since I am moving all the time doing the driving, I am less inclined to notice a problem.

Looking at how she sits, however, I see a couple of things. First, she cannot straighten her legs fully. Second, she cannot lean her seat back very far. Third, her knees are raised and her thighs do not fully rest on the seat. All this means that her feet are carrying much of the weight of her legs at all times while in the car, as opposed to "dangling" from her SUV seat or office chair.

My wife is not very tall, so I would imagine that this is even worse for passengers who are much taller.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Its Not The Sky

ALOHA BRO....Hey, I drive a MILLION cars and I am shocked and amazed that out of all of them the SKY is the most comfortable of them all...

I have taken if for several long trips thinking my back would in the end be bothering me when infact I could have driven that car across the US and be as comfortable as a baby in it's crib.

It's not the SKY bro...it's your back that's the problem.

ALOHAS

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
mono01 said:
I have had 2 surgeries on my back so back comfort is VERY important. These seats do not have the lumbar support of the old SC2's but they do have some. You will have to play with your seat position and be willing to change a lot until you find the right spot. I thought mine was perfect until my recent trip. After about 4 hours of driving, I was getting some lower and even a bit if mid-back pain. I slide the seat a bit further back and straightened the seat -- MUCH better. Yet I never thought that position would be good. No problems since!:thumbs:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts