1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Recently read this article about the factory added of a second spring seat that apparently ruin the supposed performance of the Sport package springs.
Anyone who have removed the seat and did it make any difference?

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/04/11/cost-cutting-hurt-solstice-and-sky-suspension?fbclid=IwAR2Ylmtoj2I9zyIfKLUVXCAPVmcwunouIu-xGS5Va7H6bj3inY-oCWqZo6E
That is a great read....I have my car 13 years and never knew this...of course, my car is an NA with a 2006 build.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
That article was just so wrong in many ways. It was illustrated with a picture of a Sky, yet the Z0K option was never offered on the Sky from GM. The ride height was only increased about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch.

It was the option for racing the Solstice in SCCA racing, and the first thing you'd remove from the car when prepping it for racing was the springs and shocks.

The article was a farce.

:dunno:

Attachments

·
Registered
952 Posts
Yes, this article might be technically accurate but is impossible to take seriously. Most of it is the author ****ting on the Kappa cars, with the typical tone of a GM-hating journalist. Anyone who has actually driven the Sky and the MX5 of the same generation would immediately know that the MX5 has comparatively inferior handling dynamics. I drove the MX5 before I bought my car and there is no comparison.

·
Super Moderator
5,532 Posts
I went back into the Solstice forum to see what the people actually buying the Z0Ks said about the issue of having to realign the car themselves. Every single one of them had already planned to do a realignment to their racing specs, and no one complained about any extra cost or work. Maybe I missed the complaints, but it didn't seem to be a big deal to anyone.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f11/when-cost-cutting-hobbled-pontiac-solstice-saturn-sky-s-sport-suspension-158171/

In 2007, there were only 18 Z0K's made, I don't know about other years but not many so finding complaints may be hard with so few actual owners. When I got mine which had 10K miles at the time, it still had the spacers as many I'm sure didn't know they should be removed. Couple hours later, spacers removed by myself, something any autocrosser or racer could do. I'm glad GM offered the option and didn't just have part you could buy after the fact because then car would not have been legal for stock autocross classes as rules require the parts be available to be ordered and installed in the car (no trunk kits) to be legal (with a few exceptions). The car is faster in an autocross than the Miata except maybe the newest ND and, yes, is low to the ground with no body roll.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts