Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After hearing of the Red Line engine issues, holes wearing in the top, and top storage problems I've had second thoughts about ordering my Red Line. I had always heard not to buy a car in its first year of production because of just these kinds of problems. I've even been checking out the Lotus Elise at $36,000 for a 2005 model. Anyone else with similar concerns?

·
Registered
444 Posts
After hearing of the Red Line engine issues, holes wearing in the top, and top storage problems I've had second thoughts about ordering my Red Line. I had always heard not to buy a car in its first year of production because of just these kinds of problems. I've even been checking out the Lotus Elise at $36,000 for a 2005 model. Anyone else with similar concerns?
I would not think twice about getting this phenominal car!!

Yes they may have had some minor issues with the Turbo, but nothing a quick ECU flash won't cure...

As for the holes in the top?????:confused: :confused:

This car rocks! PERIOD!:thumbs:

Also, it is on warranty, so everything will be covered...

Do not sweat the small stuff!

Don't worry, be happy!!:D :D :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

A little reassurance; that's what I was looking for!
Thanks!!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
A little reassurance; that's what I was looking for!
Thanks!!
You heard of 6-10 people with top problems -- out of >10000 (Sols included)...
Too much info is sometimes misleading

·
Registered
131 Posts
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :cheers:

·
Registered
23 Posts
This car is phenomenal...period. I'm confident any minor issues will be resolved quickly by Saturn. I've never had a car that's more fun to drive or puts a bigger grin on my face every time I hop into the seat and fire it up.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I have 3454 miles on the car, I have had only one very small problem...Cup holder had to be replaced.....Now compaired to the other 54 new car I have owned this is not worth listing....240z in 1970, Dash warped in the sun..radio replaced after 10 miles..and I loved that car.....My SKY is so much more than I had hoped for......if you look and any car forum you will see Vetts,GTO,s any of them have problems...the number for the Sky is so small...don't hold off you will miss out....Seal9:cheers:

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Think about a go-cart with a body, very small dealership network, etc., and you have a Lotus. REALLY neat car but it is not without its flaws. Very much a no compromise car. For $35-40K a very nice C5 Vette would be a good choice. The Sky will not be perfect but I am gambling 6-8 months of wait time and $30K that I will enjoy my RL.

·
First Picture of Production Red Line
164 Posts
Sos1, So far no engine issues here!!...Our RL runs great...and no top issues!
If we need to take our RL in for a flash..no problem:thumbs: .... we took the 5 year extended warranty just for peice of mind..just common sence to us with a car that has just been released:) We did get a extended warranty with our new Jeep Grand Cherrokee Limited as well...to many gagets that could go wrong:lol:

Get your dream car order it...just the way YOU want it......the wait is TOTALLY worth it..just read our recent posts...we love this car!!!:D

·
Registered
59 Posts
One word of advice!

If you are considering the Lotus as i did, seriously, go to your nearest dealer and take this very important test....

can you GET in the car?

I discovered that regardless of frame size(on the Human), the Elise and Elan are not easy for most drivers to enter.

Me: 6'2"

the lotus' cockpit has about a 12" (if not wider ) door sill, the seats are located well bellow this and the very sexy aluminum tub gives minimal space for entry maneuvering. I could only get in with the top down and from above.

When you are in it, what a car!

I know you are talking about the Red line, i have the N/A 4banger, but the Sky is definitely a do-able daily driver as far as comfort and ease of use. The eyeball sinking power everyone seems to crave in this country is not there, but i seem to have fun with it even when keeping it in the power band, maybe I have outgrown the HP numbers phase and am into the fun phase!

Your fears of a first year car such as the Red-line are well considered and there are many cars of the performance caliber you mentioned to choose from. They are like shoes, if they look good but don't fit, you will suffer. The Lotus is perfect for the driver who has everything and wants a track day car.

·
Registered
514 Posts
depends on what you want, if you want a balls to the wall no holds barred sports car get the Elise. I doubt it will have any mechanical issues, it is afterall a Toyota drive train. But then you get a harsh ride, impractical, no frills.

The Sky is closer to civil. But damn those Elise are jaw dropping. Always a crowd around the 2 we have at our company.

·
Registered
59 Posts
depends on what you want, if you want a balls to the wall no holds barred sports car get the Elise. I doubt it will have any mechanical issues, it is afterall a Toyota drive train. But then you get a harsh ride, impractical, no frills.

The Sky is closer to civil. But damn those Elise are jaw dropping. Always a crowd around the 2 we have at our company.
LOLOL....
Trust me!

Lotus can definitely find a way to make a Toyota engine and drive train anything but trouble free!

I think it is in their contract to make things quirky.

But like you said, they are jaw-droppers. I still think with steady yoga and if I lose 100 pounds I can get in one and then....

·
Registered
323 Posts
A co-worker of mine got his silver Lotus Elise the same weekend I picked up my base, silver pearl Sky. We both have covered / underground parking provided for us and for those walking through the garage to the office door, they look at the Lotus and say "Ugh? That is weird looking?" whereas when they see my silver Sky, the predominant comment is "WOW, that is awesome!". I have been asked for numerous test drives by co-workers. He hasn't been asked once. Another big shout out to GM's design team.:thumbs: :cheers:

What was the baseball phrase a few years ago...."chicks dig the long-ball"?:lol:

Well, chicks dig the Sky - that's for sure (I am "forced" to drive through the heart of a local college campus en route to my house...I should know by the glances I get).:cool:

Of course when it's my wife behind the wheel, the "cut-like-a-rock" college football / soccer players all stare at her.:eek:

So, it's equal sex appeal.:thumbs:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts