Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please contact me if you have a robust DDM Works Backbone that you want to sell. I live 20 miles west of Chicago. I want the sale to be near by to avoid shipping expenses. I own a high mileage Sky. It's an experiment to address body squeaks and creaks, not improve performance handling.

If you later have plans to visit family in or near Chicagoland during the upcoming holidays, please keep me in-mind. I am willing to drive 50 miles or so, even if meeting in a parking lot as you are passing through to elsewhere.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Where are the squeaks and rattles coming from?

From the doors?

There are squeaks from the top when it's up or down. The fixes are easy when the issue is identified.

The backbone might help and if you can't find one you can always make one, super simple to do.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Please contact me if you have a robust DDM Works Backbone that you want to sell. I live 20 miles west of Chicago. I want the sale to be near by to avoid shipping expenses. I own a high mileage Sky. It's an experiment to address body squeaks and creaks, not improve performance handling.

If you later have plans to visit family in or near Chicagoland during the upcoming holidays, please keep me in-mind. I am willing to drive 50 miles or so, even if meeting in a parking lot as you are passing through to elsewhere.
Where are the squeaks and rattles coming from?

From the doors?

There are squeaks from the top when it's up or down. The fixes are easy when the issue is identified.

The backbone might help and if you can't find one you can always make one, super simple to do.

I would love to work on tracking them down.
Our cars are at the age/miles where bushings, mounts, and bolts become worn out or loose.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The squeaks in our Sky are coming from every direction, not seeming to come from the suspension that I can tell.

I hope a robust backbone will help, trying to locate a cheap used one in the Chicago area.

I hope new shocks all around will help. I have them but not yet installed them.

I know a brand new set of Sumitomo touring tires will help. I currently have 4 year old extra-load Antares Ingens A1 tires that have a max rating of 49psi. I put in 29psi as spec'd. They ride like run-flats though they are not.

Our 2007 Base has always rode like a buck-board, a complaint I expressed from day-one. Many responses here said that's what Skys are. I am hoping to reduce such noises along with an increased comfort ride where I can, getting to a better place without dumping so much more money into the car.

·
Registered
564 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should have mentioned earlier that I was able to eliminate a lot of hood-squeak by placing felt furniture pads on the metal surface that the adjustable hood-stops work with.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The only squeaking and rattling that occurred on any of my 3 Sky's was the instrument panel and the front swaybar bushings.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I thought of another rattle that occurred one time when the passenger seatbelt was accidentally closed in the door. The loose not retracted seatbelt shook back and forth in the wind.

·
Super Moderator
6,188 Posts
The squeaks in our Sky are coming from every direction, not seeming to come from the suspension that I can tell.

I hope a robust backbone will help, trying to locate a cheap used one in the Chicago area.

I hope new shocks all around will help. I have them but not yet installed them.

I know a brand new set of Sumitomo touring tires will help. I currently have 4 year old extra-load Antares Ingens A1 tires that have a max rating of 49psi. I put in 29psi as spec'd. They ride like run-flats though they are not.

Our 2007 Base has always rode like a buck-board, a complaint I expressed from day-one. Many responses here said that's what Skys are. I am hoping to reduce such noises along with an increased comfort ride where I can, getting to a better place without dumping so much more money into the car.
I looked up the specifications for those tires. Other than being extremely heavy, at 37 lbs each vs 26 for the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4, they have the same load rating at the same max pressure as the Michelins.

With that much extra unsprung weight and likely worn-out shocks, your ride is going to be much worse than it should be. Before adding a backbone i would install the shocks you already have, and buy the tires that you know you need.

I assume you have, but in case you haven't, check the tunnel close-out panel to make sure it is actually installed and that all of the screws are tight.

Also, it is counter-intuitive, but increasing the tire pressure slightly may give you more stable handling and a smoother ride. I have gotten the best results at 30-32 psi (cold) with both Michelins and both Goodyears that i have put on either of the cars.

·
Registered
223 Posts

There was a guy on the Sky FB group that was fabricating clones with his plasma cutter and selling them for $135 shipped. That was about a month ago, I'm not sure when his next batch will be posted for sale again or if that is cheap enough for your needs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts