Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Those of us from a previous car 'era', can't imagine our disbelief when someone uses the word 'fender skirt' in today's world. LOL

Back then, a view of either side of a car showed only the lower half of a rear wheel (generally from the axle down, give or take). The removable 'fender skirt' covered the top half of the wheel. Haven't met Norm, but I'll bet he remembers that.

·
Premium Member
5,425 Posts
Emmett, I put them on the car, but don't have any pictures of them. Had planned on messing with the car today, but the storage facility where I keep my has decided I no longer have access on Holidays. Kind of defeats the purpose of the storage site. May be able to get some pictures tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I don't believe those are Norms, those are custom wide bodies from Mexico. I've seen pics of a white one too, and for some weird reason they glassed over the white coupes side windows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaViGGTPshE

Norms makes one like these, but I haven't seen them on a Sky yet.

Norms also offered this style too, this is one inch wide flare, but he said he could go two or three inches in this style.

It looks almost OEM because the rear bumper bolts up to the wider flare, though I'm not sure it would if you went 2 to 3 inches wide.

·
Premium Member
5,425 Posts
Norm had a coupe at the National, and had what I would call fender extensions. But looked similar to what the Avalanche had on it. I was not a fan of it, but it was not molded, filled into the body. A more economical way of getting the width, but not as nice looking as fully molded in.

His fender skirts, are not what you are looking for. You will have to have him do it at his shop to get the smooth look I think. Or a local shop that does custom work. And you are talking a lot of money. Cutting the body, welding the strips and making something to connect the inner fenders.

·
Premium Member
5,425 Posts
Did it have the working electric rear window. I had a chance to buy one about 5 years ago, needed some work, had been partially restored 20 years ago, and the guy thought it was worth a fortune. Never moved on it. But they were pretty cool cars. Quite different to say the least. I love that kind of stuff. Actually looking at a 59 Studebaker Lark couple. Belongs to a cousin.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Did it have the working electric rear window. I had a chance to buy one about 5 years ago, needed some work, had been partially restored 20 years ago, and the guy thought it was worth a fortune. Never moved on it. But they were pretty cool cars. Quite different to say the least. I love that kind of stuff. Actually looking at a 59 Studebaker Lark couple. Belongs to a cousin.
Don't remember for sure, but I think so. It was many moons ago. :grin:

·
Premium Member
5,425 Posts
With the Edsel and the Mercury, Ford was a little too far ahead of their time. Some very different ideas than GM. Chrysler wass pushing the limits to. GM other than the Vette was just a normal car it seemed. I guess you could call the Coupe De Ville a little far out. Worked on a 57 2 door with a huge engine and two fours from the factory. Very cool car. It ended up in Japan, for a lot of money, even in today's standards.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Not sad.
If you want the quality work that Norm provides, you go in with your eyes open.
For paying up front and getting in line you will get quality parts that are second to none.

Norm’s operation is largely a one man show. Remember the old adage about if you want something done right, you do it yourself? Problem is the vast majority of us couldn’t come close to what he does so the last part of that saying just doesn’t work.
You‘re not dealing here with some big box store or a drop who advertises everything and never sees the merchandise.
Everything there is hand laid. If Norm doesn’t like it, it doesn’t go out the door. It’s as simple as that.
You can choose the option of having the parts painted as well and guess what? They’re going to be good.
Figure out your options. These cars have been out of production for 12 years. Almost no one makes aftermarket parts for these cars, let alone quality custom ones.

Norm‘s parts are things you plan for in advance, knowing full well that some time is going to go by. If that doesn’t suit you, good luck in going somewhere else. Own your own lack of planning. If you decide to sell, or something happens, or you change your mind, that’s your problem,

Ordered my parts knowing there would be a wait. Took the option of having them painted. Traveled to pick them up and got to see the operation first hand along with some of the other projects he’s worked on.
You are dealing with a craftsman and an artist.
Absolutely no disappointments

·
Registered
790 Posts
Not sad.
For paying up front and getting in line you will get quality parts that are second to none.

Norm’s operation is largely a one man show. Remember the old adage about if you want something done right, you do it yourself? Problem is the vast majority of us couldn’t come close to what he does so the last part of that saying just doesn’t work.
You‘re not dealing here with some big box store or a drop who advertises everything and never sees the merchandise.
Everything there is hand laid. If Norm doesn’t like it, it doesn’t go out the door. It’s as simple as that.
You can choose the option of having the parts painted as well and guess what? They’re going to be good.
Figure out your options. These cars have been out of production for 12 years. Almost no one makes aftermarket parts for these cars, let alone quality custom ones.

Norm‘s parts are things you plan for in advance, knowing full well that some time is going to go by. If that doesn’t suit you, good luck in going somewhere else. Own your own lack of planning. If you decide to sell, or something happens, or you change your mind, that’s your problem,

Ordered my parts knowing there would be a wait. Took the option of having them painted. Traveled to pick them up and got to see the operation first hand along with some of the other projects he’s worked on.
I would agree quality is worth waiting for. Being an aspiring trumpet player (this was the 70s) my music teacher had a friend Reynold Schilke that owned a small company and had him make me a new trumpet 🎺 (B-6). I had to go to the shop, play various horns and be fitted for what worked best. It seemed to take forever, but it was worth it. In fact I still play that horn today. I learned a lesson…. Patience, Patience, Patience.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not sad.

That certainly wasn’t my experience. Norm told me a month in a half, and proceeding that told me on four different occasions that my parts were ready and being shipped, but still hasn’t received…….so if Norm is a one man show and we know he’s been manufacturing for years, he’s know the process and the time frame, so one could question his character for not being up front. I myself do paint correction & ceramic coatings, and am also a car enthusiast, and I don’t give false expectations or hope, I shoot people straight as I should, and don’t make excuses for others bad behavior.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts