Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I wear sunglasses, I can't read my instrumentation. Keeping the instrumentation stock (not changing the face) I want to greatly increase the back-light intensity both for daytime and night driving I hope to replace standard incandescent light bulbs with bright dimmable daylight-colored LED bulbs. I am sure I am not alone facing this issue. I hope someone here has found great bulb replacements. I am not afraid of taking apart the dash board to get the job done.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I hope to replace standard incandescent light bulbs with bright dimmable daylight-colored LED bulbs. I am sure I am not alone facing this issue. I hope someone here has found great bulb replacements. I am not afraid of taking apart the dash board to get the job done.
You are not alone. Many of us have changed the bulbs, though I'd say to get the best contrast, you need to change the faces too - to white on black. Note: to change the bulbs, you'll need to be able to solder. Kits avaible at blackcatcustoms.com. Some more info here:

https://www.solsticeforum.com/threads/how-to-custom-guage-cluster.42671/
https://www.solsticeforum.com/threads/new-gauge-faces-with-corrected-trunk-open-icon.60545/

·
Super Moderator
11,292 Posts
When I wear sunglasses, I can't read my instrumentation. Keeping the instrumentation stock (not changing the face) I want to greatly increase the back-light intensity both for daytime and night driving I hope to replace standard incandescent light bulbs with bright dimmable daylight-colored LED bulbs. I am sure I am not alone facing this issue. I hope someone here has found great bulb replacements. I am not afraid of taking apart the dash board to get the job done.
Yep, and the gas gauge is the worst. I saw in another post you have no door lock switches meaning you have an early model 2007. This means your gas gauge is probably a black face like the Tach and Speedo. Later models switched only the gas gauge to a white face for better visibility. Redline Skys had white on black faces stock from the start.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
The daylight sensor keeps the dash lights off/dimmed, but if you turn on the fog lights, the lights will brighten to nighttime brightness.

Also, I believe there was a service announcement that allowed the dealer to turn off the daytime dimming, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Anyone know the details of this?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'd like to keep all gauges original. I am hoping to find extra bright daylight colored LEDs to brighten up what I have. I am good at soldering so no challenge there. Is the best source for extra bright LEDs blackcatcustoms?

It is on my mind that even more light will come through on the replacement gauge decals they offer. Has anyone here replaced "ONLY" their LEDs and is satisfied with the improvement in illumination?

·
Super Moderator
11,292 Posts
I'd like to keep all gauges original. I am hoping to find extra bright daylight colored LEDs to brighten up what I have. I am good at soldering so no challenge there. Is the best source for extra bright LEDs blackcatcustoms?

It is on my mind that even more light will come through on the replacement gauge decals they offer. Has anyone here replaced only their LEDs and is satisfied with the improvement in illumination?
I believe some have but can't remember who.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
The LEDs from black cat are FAR brighter than the original bulbs. The factory bulbs are filament bulbs that are highly underrun - presumable for long life. They just glow yellow, not even white, but have red rubber 'condom' filters to turn the light red. NOTE: If you go with LED replacements, you should choose red LEDs (NOT white) to keep the factory coloration.

UPDATE: Ooohhh sorry, just noticed I was on the Sky forum, so ignore the stuff about red above. You'll probably need AMBER LEds then for a Sky (I assume)

·
Super Moderator
5,930 Posts
.......UPDATE: Ooohhh sorry, just noticed I was on the Sky forum......
If you are getting lost now, what are you going to do when the forums look the same?

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
If you are getting lost now, what are you going to do when the forums look the same?
Is the conversion still scheduled for tomorrow?

Inquiring minds and all that stuff.

:dunno:

·
Super Moderator
5,930 Posts
Is the conversion still scheduled for tomorrow?

Inquiring minds and all that stuff.

:dunno:

No one has said anything different, so I assume it is. We'll know when it happens, I suppose.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The LEDs from black cat are FAR brighter than the original bulbs. The factory bulbs are filament bulbs that are highly underrun - presumable for long life. They just glow yellow, not even white, but have red rubber 'condom' filters to turn the light red. NOTE: If you go with LED replacements, you should choose red LEDs (NOT white) to keep the factory coloration.

UPDATE: Ooohhh sorry, just noticed I was on the Sky forum, so ignore the stuff about red above. You'll probably need AMBER LEDs then for a Sky (I assume)
I really appreciate this information.

I want to keep the stock gauge faces, but I want to adjust the color of the gauges close to the "day-light" color like they are in my 2014 Nissan Altima. I realize I won't achieve true day-light, but would like to get as close to it as possible without changing faces. I fear amber-colored bulbs will be simply a "brighter" version of what I have today. Even having that is not the worst thing. Just a bit farther from "ideal".

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After further research and considerations, I decided to pursue this Black Cat Customs gauge with the proper supporting LEDs, but with the following deviations.

• In the tachometer, delete the word "SKY", and delete the tiny word under RPM.
  • In the fuel gauge, delete the tiny word "LEVEL", delete the tiny triangle, and delete the 1/4, 1/2, 3/4.
Ordering on-line is confusing. Hopefully I will figure it out. My last resort is a phone call.

I wonder what the triangle to the left of the words "FUEL LEVEL" indicates.

For reference, here is a picture of my 2007 Base gauges today.

·
Super Moderator
11,292 Posts
After further research and considerations, I decided to pursue this Black Cat Customs gauge with the proper supporting LEDs, but with the following deviations.

• In the tachometer, delete the word "SKY", and delete the tiny word under RPM.
  • In the fuel gauge, delete the tiny word "LEVEL", delete the tiny triangle, and delete the 1/4, 1/2, 3/4.
Ordering on-line is confusing. Hopefully I will figure it out. My last resort is a phone call.

View attachment 111884

For reference, here is a picture of my 2007 Base gauges today.
View attachment 111886
You have the early version of the fuel gauge. Later models had the Redline style fuel gauge with the white background to make it more visible.

·
Super Moderator
5,930 Posts
It seems like a silly feature, until you rent a car and need gas on a dark and stormy night and would otherwise have to get out to know where the filler is.

Reactions: Robotech

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
View attachment 111884
That is a indication on almost every fuel gauge as to which side of the car the fuel tank filler is located. If you look closely at almost any fuel gauge, you will find that same little arrow, some smaller, some larger, but almost all have it. The manufacturers started using this triangle/arrow in 1997 according to some articles I have read, and it is now almost universal.

:thumbs:

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
In the tachometer, delete the word "SKY", and delete the tiny word under RPM.
The tiny word under RPM contains the text "x1000" to indicate the digits are in thousands.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts