Saturn Sky Forum banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
I can't help you with that question. It would be ideal if you found a 12V wire to the IP that was powered on with the ignition, but turns off when the IP lights up.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I dont mind if they (the LEDs) are on ALL the time.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
I dont mind if they (the LEDs) are on ALL the time.
If that be the case, I imagine one of the wires plugging into the back of the IP must be 12V when the ignition is on. Powering a few LEDs won't be much of a drain on whatever that wire supports. Maybe JohnWR will look up the wire harness for the IP and tell you which wire in back is hot only when the ignition is on.

Take pictures....lots of them....and post for us to see how you did it along the way. You caught my curiosity.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
As soon as Hanna leaves my neighborhood...and I find 12V, I will do it with pictures. The LEDs only cost me $1.50 from china, shipping included.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So, I've decided to go deep on the cluster lights but keeping the oem plates! I've created some circuit boards and added the respective leds (used 5050 smd about 20 lumen each because I did not want to use heat sinks) and resistors. I wanted a bit more brightness on white cold instead of the oem orange. I used 5 leds on the big gauges and 3 on the gas gauge. First result was dissapointing as with the cold white leds the produced color was light green...I was astonished to find out that there was a light green filter covering the transparency of the gauges! I used my dremmel to get rid of this (knowing that I might ruin the plates) and when succeeded I was amazed by the result on day (white) and night! I have the exact result I was expecting and was very happy! The only problem was that the gas gauge was too bright with the three leds so I had to remove the third. Also I added adhesive to the circuit boards but the surface to contact was not sufficient thus I used silicone to protect the soldered connections and added some between the main board and the circuit boards which was stabilised really strong. I will upload pictures with the end result when car is assembled with the dash and everytning.

On the following weekend I hope to find the time to finish with the Radio CD leds and the steering wheel lights which to my surprise were orange smd leds 3528 type.

Attachments

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #87 (Edited)
emik14, you are one impressive and determined individual. You are duplicating BlackCakCustom's product. Given your Sky is a Redline, your IP face is very different from the Base face. I understand why you would like to work with it.

How are you managing the orange odometer?

I was surprised to read how long it would take to get the BlackCatCustom LED conversion kit shipped to you in Athens Greece. If not ordering a custom-made face like I did, they would ship the LED kit within a day.

I look forward to your progress with the steering wheel and radio illumination. I won't do my own engineering on that conversion. I would only follow the success of another forum member. One thing is stuck in my head. Since replacing such LEDs, I would first try scraping off the surface of one to see if the color changes in some way. Heck, it is being replaced anyway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
How are you managing the orange odometer?
I removed the orange acrylic filter which was glued to the plate by cutting it with the dremmel, then sanded the edges and glued a 2mm thick transparent acrylic. In this way the oem color (blue - green something) will be displayed and I am ok with that. I will follow similar process with the radio cd filter which is also orange.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I wear sunglasses, I can't read my instrumentation. Keeping the instrumentation stock (not changing the face) I want to greatly increase the back-light intensity both for daytime and night driving I hope to replace standard incandescent light bulbs with bright dimmable daylight-colored LED bulbs. I am sure I am not alone facing this issue. I hope someone here has found great bulb replacements. I am not afraid of taking apart the dash board to get the job done.
I actually asked a dealership if they could help. They basically said try the aftermarket.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I purchased some strip LEDs to glue into the underside of the instrument hood because I could not read them with sunglasses OR WITHOUT. I removed the hood and the sunlight did the job. and its worked so well that I havent installed the LEDs The hood just lies in the passenger seat, been there for several months. At night I dont wear the sun glasses.

81 - 90 of 90 Posts